Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a slightly used 2011 Hyundai Accent and I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers too...

1. Can I make a copy of my key at a Wal-Mart or Home Depot, or do I have to go to a dealership? is the key chipped?

2. What does O/D stand for? It's on a button on my gear stick to shift from drive to park and such. it appears to always be on because when I push it only then does a light come on the dashboard alerting me O/D is off.

3. Is there a button to turn of the air/heat? I thought it was the button marked A/C (I was assuming when the light was on, the air was on, off and it was off) but I can still feel the heat coming out of the vents.

I would appreciate the help, Thanks!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Some key makers can copy other can't. The dealer did mine for free. No Chip inside!

OD - Over Drive gear.

0 on the fan level will turn it off

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can have a key made, but the problem is that most locksmiths and hardware stores don't carry the correct blank. They usually have a slightly thinner blank that will operate the door locks but not the ignition. You'll need to get the HY-16 blank, which can bought very cheaply online. Take that blank to your hardware store with the original key, and they should be able to make you an exact copy.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,856 Posts
I had a hardware store cut a key and they used the wrong blank, which operated exactly as described above - locks only. An OEM key was well under $10 in 2006 money cut at the dealer. No transponder (our neighbours to the north had to deal with those, but our key blanks were simple and cheap.)

With O/D off, you effectively have a three speed automatic. It will not go into 4th gear (overdrive.) Use overdrive for normal driving as it will yield lower engine speeds on the highway, thus greater fuel economy. The only cases I turned it off was when I might find the engine braking useful.

As far as the air goes, after shutting it off, you may still feel some air coming in as you drive. This is normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A/C is air conditioning - if the light is on, it'll blow cold.

To control the amount of air coming thru the vents you need to turn the fan dial (numbered 1-2-3-4). If you don't want any air coming thru the vents, turn this dial all the way to the left to the symbol that looks like a fan. That should turn the fan off.

Note, that with the fan turned off - you won't be able to turn the A/C on.

You should be able to download a pdf of the manual for your car - that may explain things more clearly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts