Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a load of Sonata's saturday and I cleaned them first thing this morning. I see this weird button and I look and it says "active eco" which was next to the traction control button. It looks like it turns the eco light on permanetly. No longer can you control it from the trip button. Also, I honked the horn at my friend and I heard something amazing, a real horn! They put the Santa Fe horn in the Sonata. However, for the panic button it's still a wimpy horn. I'm going to see what they can do about switching horns out for me. It didn't say 2011.5 on the sticker, but it seems to be a midyear type of thing since the Sonata has been out for 8 months and we aren't even into 2011 yet.

On a side note, after 2 and a half weeks, I had to finally fill my tank. My trip computer said 21.6 but my math calculated 22.7 which I'm happy with. Today on my normal route the trip computer said 25.3 to 26.2 which is great! I'm loving my car!

·
Registered
268 Posts
i just bought a regular horn from an auto shop and while it is louder it still sounds like a high pitched scooter horn.

i had the dealer install that one because they said they would do it for free

do you think they would put the new horn on "2011.5" on mine if they have them?

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Oct 4 2010, 04:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360998
We got a load of Sonata's saturday and I cleaned them first thing this morning. I see this weird button and I look and it says "active eco" which was next to the traction control button. It looks like it turns the eco light on permanetly. No longer can you control it from the trip button. Also, I honked the horn at my friend and I heard something amazing, a real horn! They put the Santa Fe horn in the Sonata. However, for the panic button it's still a wimpy horn. I'm going to see what they can do about switching horns out for me. It didn't say 2011.5 on the sticker, but it seems to be a midyear type of thing since the Sonata has been out for 8 months and we aren't even into 2011 yet.

On a side note, after 2 and a half weeks, I had to finally fill my tank. My trip computer said 21.6 but my math calculated 22.7 which I'm happy with. Today on my normal route the trip computer said 25.3 to 26.2 which is great! I'm loving my car!
This is great news! Can you do us a favor and check the build dates on those cars? We have been hearing that cars built after Sept 1 get the new horn, but it would be nice to confirm it!

I guess I dont understand what the point is of turning the Eco light on permanently? My understanding of what that light does, is it lets you know when you are driving economically? Does pressing the button prevent you from flooring it or going over a certain MPH?!

Also, one last question, there are rumors that a larger 7" Nav screen will be available as a midyear replacement. Did any of these cars you saw have Nav? If so, do the screens look any larger?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 5 2010, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361304
This is great news! Can you do us a favor and check the build dates on those cars? We have been hearing that cars built after Sept 1 get the new horn, but it would be nice to confirm it!

I guess I dont understand what the point is of turning the Eco light on permanently? My understanding of what that light does, is it lets you know when you are driving economically? Does pressing the button prevent you from flooring it or going over a certain MPH?!

Also, one last question, there are rumors that a larger 7" Nav screen will be available as a midyear replacement. Did any of these cars you saw have Nav? If so, do the screens look any larger?

For whatever its worth, mine was August 9, and still had cartoon horn. Until this past weekend that is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKAz4jqnVE

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 5 2010, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361304

My build date is Sept 7, 2010 so I'll answer what I can:
1 - My horn sounds fine to me, so I'm guessing I do have the new horn.
2 - I have the "active Eco" function. I think it does more than just turn on the Eco light. There isn't much detail in the owner's manual, but here is what it does say: (page 5-35 in my manual) - "Active ECO helps improve fuel efficiency by controlling the engine, transaxle and air conditioner." Thus, it sounds like it does do some controlling of the powertrain in order to get better fuel mileage. I haven't actually driven mine with it turned on yet -- was thinking I may try to drive with it on the next tank of gas and see if there is any noticeable difference in mpg.
3 - I have the nav and my screen is 6.5"

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 5 2010, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361304

Mike, you are correct that the Sonata's started during the first week of September. However, I don't know the exact date. The newest one we have received was Sept 20th.

I have no idea how the new eco light works. When I press the button, the eco light stays on. I've only driven the cars thru our parking lot and drove them thru the carwash, so I'm not absolutely sure.

We received a black SE with nav that sold already and a Limited with nav. Neither of them looked like they had larger screens.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (ToddC @ Oct 5 2010, 03:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361327
My build date is Sept 7, 2010 so I'll answer what I can:
1 - My horn sounds fine to me, so I'm guessing I do have the new horn.
2 - I have the "active Eco" function. I think it does more than just turn on the Eco light. There isn't much detail in the owner's manual, but here is what it does say: (page 5-35 in my manual) - "Active ECO helps improve fuel efficiency by controlling the engine, transaxle and air conditioner." Thus, it sounds like it does do some controlling of the powertrain in order to get better fuel mileage. I haven't actually driven mine with it turned on yet -- was thinking I may try to drive with it on the next tank of gas and see if there is any noticeable difference in mpg.
3 - I have the nav and my screen is 6.5"
Cool! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
28 Posts
anybody know if we can take in our meep meep horn (like when we go in for the recall) and have them swap it out with the new horn??

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (tom53086 @ Oct 5 2010, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361404
anybody know if we can take in our meep meep horn (like when we go in for the recall) and have them swap it out with the new horn??

I'm working to see if they will do that. I do know that the horn is behind the grille and you can see it too. The horns for the panic buttons seems to be located behind the headlights.

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do! I should have answer on Monday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My SE was built on Sept 6th also, and it has the active ECO button and my horn sounds fine. I have been testing it with ECO on and off. I do notice that throttle response is lowered and the transmission shifts a lot sooner when it is active. I have not done a comparative tank of gas test to see just how many more miles to the gallon i get when it's on. I haven't noticed a difference in the A/C though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it's frustrating because I bought my sonata on 18 Sept and it was a shipment that they had just gotten in, but I still have the old version... :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (Jeffro2k @ Oct 6 2010, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361678
My SE was built on Sept 6th also, and it has the active ECO button and my horn sounds fine. I have been testing it with ECO on and off. I do notice that throttle response is lowered and the transmission shifts a lot sooner when it is active. I have not done a comparative tank of gas test to see just how many more miles to the gallon i get when it's on. I haven't noticed a difference in the A/C though.
Open your drivers door and look at the plate and see what the build date is. It may have been in the factory inventory for a bit before being delivered.

·
Registered
117 Posts
active eco button gives an extra 7% fuel efficiency by making all kinds of adjustments which where discussed during the Sonata webcast on 10/7.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (matt317 @ Oct 8 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362021
active eco button gives an extra 7% fuel efficiency by making all kinds of adjustments which where discussed during the Sonata webcast on 10/7.
Did they specifically say what adjustments it makes?

If I had to guess, I would think some type of different fuel timing and maybe different transmission shift points? I wonder if Hyundai will get the cars re tested by the EPA cause even 1 extra MPG is a huge amount to advertise!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts