Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently thought of the idea to take the 3.8 liter motor from the Genesis. While the Elantra only has a 1.8 liter engine I was thinking that it might hopefully under some insane possibility be able to fit a 3.8 in there some how. Any ideas on if that would be possible or if it would be possible to fit the 2.0 turbo from the Sonata?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think you would be hard pressed to fit a 3.8 DOHC V6 under the hood.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
For all that work and money you may as well just buy a newer faster car.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
This is right. Even if you had the knowledge and ability to swap engines and transmissions as well as make the proper body fabrications needed to make it all fit, by they time you replaced all the essential components to make it run, you'd likely have spent enough money to just buy a newer, faster car. You would have to really love your Elantra for it to be worth it. If you don't have that knowledge, you will end up spending nearly what you paid new for that car, or close to it. However, if you do decide to do that, keep us posted. I would love to see how the swap goes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Better yet, do what Car & Driver did many decades ago to a sister of my beloved Crx-Si: they put a second engine and transaxle in the back creating a twin engined monster!!! My fav part of the article was when they talked about the looks they got in gas stations when they opened the hood, checked the oil, then opened the rear hatch, and checked the oil!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had originally thought of swapping the 2014 Veloster Turbo or the Sonata 2.0T engine to my Coupe. But the only issue is finding someone to tune it for you once you do the swap. Mind you you need to swap the transmission and pretty much all the engine bay components. As for the 3.8 v6 you might have to remove the AC and move the battery to the trunk to make room for it if you ever plan on doing it.

Another big thing is time if its not your daily and just a project car its possible but for me its my daily so that was another reason why I didnt do it :(

·
Registered
13,335 Posts
Better off with a 2.7 from a Tiburon. Might fit easier. The 3.8 is a BIG motor.

Or, grab a 2.4 from a Sonata. I have a 2.4 in my Scion and it's fast enough. I got up to 125 on the highway right quick and still had more throttle to go. I just ran out of nerve...:blink:

Not to mention the suspension tweaking you're going to have to do to handle the weight and provide enough grip for such a fire-breathing monster.

I gotta say, I like the idea! ;) a couple guys back in the 80's put 350s into a couple Vegas. One guy did it right, the other guy bounced every time he hit a bump and weaved every time he took a corner.

·
22,787 Posts
Okay, I made mention of this in the AD sub-forum. Why not a Santa Fe Sport power plant? Wrecking, Salvage, or Pull-It-Yourself yard? It has a 2.0 Turbo'd power plant. The AD's have 2.0's. Y'all get where I'm going, here? Certainly not "Killer Bee" power, but definitely adequate to get a better job done from one red light to another. Pull the CPU, etc. What am I missing, here?

Won't offend me if my theory gets holes blown in it. Just a passing thought. IMO, some of you guys are smart enough to pull off something like this.

·
Registered
781 Posts
from what i know the gamma 1.6t from the veloster turbo fits, and something about the sonata 2.0t.

·
Registered
13,335 Posts
Are you saying you couldn't safely do it or you really went out of nerve?

Can't be that fast.
See my avatar?

Tha't a 1985 Corolla GTS, with a 1.6L DOHC engine.

I had that topped out at 133 MPH in Canada once, then backed it down to 120 for about half an hour.

If that car could hit that speed, I'm sure the tC could do at least that much.

And, yeah, I lost my nerve. It was in Vermont, in an area where deer and moose and the occasional bear cross the road, and I really didn't want much of a ticket either. Also, I'm not as indestructible as I was 34 years ago... ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry, I ride bikes that wants to rip my arm off from my torso. I haven't driven a 2.4 naturally aspirated engine that offer any thrill.

On the 401 in Ontario, you can open up a vehicle while merging. Done some crazy things when I was younger so not a whole lot excite me anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts