Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I purchased a 2011 sonata 2.0T 4 months ago, and so far it has been great.

I just have a couple general questions I was hoping someone can help me out with:

Fuel Efficiency:
So far it has not let me down on my way to work - ranging around 30-35 mpg for a 20 minute drive. Do you have any suggestions on if fuel grade makes a difference in improving this? I have put premium in, but if I dont need it, I would rather pass.

Also, the ECO button...can anyone explain how that really works and when the best time to use it is? I have been keeping it on stragiht thru, but I find the drive less enjoyable and smooth.

Syncing Contacts from Iphone (bluetooth):
I have the package with nav, and one thing that drives me nuts - it syncs the contacts from my entire exchange, not just a certain group from my phone. So I need to sift thru hundreds of business contacts just to call my Mom...is there any way to just have it sync to a certain group?

Also, any other really cool features/ideas for the car, let me know. Right now, I havent dug too deep, just understanding the basics. Couldnt be happier tho, so far.

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use premium all the time so I can't answer that one. But I only use Eco on the freeway with cruise control. If there's any sort of traffic I turn it right off so I can get more throttle response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used 87 when I first got the car but after using 93 and seeing the difference (3-5) in mpg I've switched. Plus it is just better for the engine. Eco changes shift points and also how the throttle responds to the actual pedal. I use it most of the time unless I want a sportier feel. It definitely took me sometime to get use to it but it does help with mpg.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I use premium on my 2012 SE Turbo also. As far as the ECO, I can't get used to it - so it off!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Eco button basically changes how your car responds to your gas pedal.

If you can be gentle with your gas pedal, you can do just as good mileage wise as the Eco button does. Due to my drive, I actually seem to get 1-2 MPG better with the Eco button off, maybe because I struggle with how it feels like "hesitation" to me with it on and then I press the gas pedal further defeating the purpose.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just something to consider but many like myself have found that ECO mode can tend to cause some folks to get worse MPG because they have an expected rate of acceleration and tend to flog the gas pedal more than they normally would if they just left ECO off. I personally didn't care for the sluggish feeling of the car when I first started using it. Funny though, I did use it all the time in the beginning but can get just as good if not better MPG without turning it on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Eco button basically changes how your car responds to your gas pedal.

If you can be gentle with your gas pedal, you can do just as good mileage wise as the Eco button does. Due to my drive, I actually seem to get 1-2 MPG better with the Eco button off, maybe because I struggle with how it feels like "hesitation" to me with it on and then I press the gas pedal further defeating the purpose.

hah! good to know! I think I am doing this too!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
The Eco is pretty worthless in the older YF models. Mine is just the stupid ECO light in the cluster that goes on and off depending on how much load is on the engine. I finally shut it off today (72,000 miles later) and my gas mileage is better than it has been, at least according to the trip computer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hello all,

I purchased a 2011 sonata 2.0T 4 months ago, and so far it has been great.

I just have a couple general questions I was hoping someone can help me out with:

Fuel Efficiency:
So far it has not let me down on my way to work - ranging around 30-35 mpg for a 20 minute drive. Do you have any suggestions on if fuel grade makes a difference in improving this? I have put premium in, but if I dont need it, I would rather pass.

Also, the ECO button...can anyone explain how that really works and when the best time to use it is? I have been keeping it on stragiht thru, but I find the drive less enjoyable and smooth.

Syncing Contacts from Iphone (bluetooth):
I have the package with nav, and one thing that drives me nuts - it syncs the contacts from my entire exchange, not just a certain group from my phone. So I need to sift thru hundreds of business contacts just to call my Mom...is there any way to just have it sync to a certain group?

Also, any other really cool features/ideas for the car, let me know. Right now, I havent dug too deep, just understanding the basics. Couldnt be happier tho, so far.

Thanks!
Don't waste your money on premium fuel hoping to get better fuel economy. You won't.

Quoted from page 5-35 of the 2011 Sonata manual:
"Active ECO helps improve fuel efficiency by controlling the engine, transaxle and air conditioner. But fuel-efficiency can be changed by the driver's driving habits and road conditions."

It will definitely help your MPG's if you are light-footed and use the Active Eco button. However, I and others have found that Active Eco makes the throttle less responsive and sluggish under normal driving conditions. Note that if you put the pedal on the floor, engine performance is normal even when Active Eco is on.

Enjoy the ride! I love driving mine.

Hal

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 2011 2.0T (bought new and now with just over 60,000 miles). Car has been fantastic and never in the shop outside of regular maintenance. I have a few minor gripes but won't go into them here.

As far as fuel, I've always ran mine on Premium fuel. Although the car is designed to run on 87, most modern blown motors will give bit more power with higher octane fuels. I don't think it has ever been confirmed that this is 100% true for the 2.0T but one quote from Edmunds on the 2.0T aligned with my thinking so I run premium.

"Development tests for the new mill included 300 hours at wide-open throttle, followed by 20 hours of operation at 6,700 rpm (the rev limiter is set at 6,600 rpm in the car). While the durability testing included 87 octane fuel, engineers hint that the calibration of the 2.0T will automatically take advantage of higher octane — on premium fuel, peak horsepower goes up by about 10. And although peak torque is unaffected by the addition of premium fuel, the area of torque curve before the peak is said to plump up somewhat." ...Source: 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T First Drive

As far as contacts sync, you will probably have to live with all entries in your address book as the PBAP bluetooth sync PCE feature is very basic in its operation. The only real fix would be for the PSE (your phone) to have that filtering feature and send only the wanted contacts. I personally do not know of any phone that does this. Best bet is to bite the bullet and use voice dialing to "Call Number" wait.. "Mom" or manipulate your address book with a number or letter "A-" to have frequent numbers appear at the top.

Oh and I don't use Active ECO. I average around 23-25 around town and around 29-32 highway depending on my mood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2011 2.0T (bought new and now with just over 60,000 miles). Car has been fantastic and never in the shop outside of regular maintenance. I have a few minor gripes but won't go into them here.

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I was just curious....why not go into those gripes? I wouldnt mind hearing them. Again, so far, I love the car and the performance over all.

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Watch this video regarding dyno proven results for higher octane on turbo cars.

I just put 93 octane "Shell V-Power" for the first time and I can clearly feel a difference. I suspect I'll go a little further on a tank of 93 vs 87 as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts