Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have about 500 miles on the new Tucson, love the car but hate the bumpy ride!! Anybody else have this problem? Dealer says no parts are bad, just how the vehicle rides!! Wife already want's to gt rid of it as the Southern California bumpy city streets cause her to grunt out loud!! Can we change for after market shocks without voiding the Warranty??

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a little over 4k on our 2010 Tucson. It has also been one very bumpy ride. Will be taking it to the dealer one last time tomorrow for them to check it out. If we don't get a satisfactory answer this time, we plan to get rid of the car. The last time my wife took it to the dealer, the service advisor dismissed her without even checking anything on the car. He told her it was the tires. If we wanted to fix the problem, we'd need to change out the tires and the rims (apparently we'd need to go with a smaller size tire).

We've definitely been Hyundai proponents over the past 8 years. We actually traded in our 2002 Santa Fe, which we really liked, for the Tucson. I was clearly taken by the looks of the car while my wife wanted to go with another Santa Fe. This is clearly one time I wish I'd listened to my wife on a car selection!

·
Registered
316 Posts
One person's "bumpy ride" is another's firm/ok ride...a test drive should have pointed up the firmness, esp. with the brand new struts, etc.
I'm guessing you have the 18" wheels/tire combo. We do too, but the ride is reasonable for us, esp. compared to our Vette and our sport suspended X5.

An expensive fix: higher profile tires may help; more expensive: a set of 17" wheels and higher profile tires may also help.
Cheap adjustment: our car came with 38 lbs in rear tires and 40 lbs in front; knock them back to 32 cold, if they are pumped
up.

I doubt there are more forgiving strut kits on mkt, for this car, and I would bet the Limited has the same suspension as the GLS, and it's
the 18" wheel/tire set, combined with the minimal suspension travel in these cars, that you are feeling.

If none of the above "works", or is applicable, the car seems in demand and you might be able to sell privately and get into something
you like. New car depreciation is tough, however.
GL, mD

·
Registered
838 Posts
Do you both have the Limited model, or the GLS? I have a GLS with the 17" tires, and haven't noticed much of a bumpy ride, I know the Limited has 18" tires, less sidewall, (a lower profile tire) and more wheel, maybe not enough sidewall to cushion the blow, especially noticed because of the new firm suspension? This is what commonly happens when some people choose to go to larger fancy rims, & lower sidewall profile tires. Imagine how 22" wheels & tires (the largest, I believe?) must ride :eek:

Get rid of the car???
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater!
I would opt for smaller wheels, & bigger tires, maybe the dealer can even get you a deal on them?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Okay, you're 2002 Santa Fe had,,,,,,,,,,,,225/70/16" tires standard, I had one myself!
The 1st generation Tucson had,,,,,,,,,,,,, 215/65/16" tires std,
The 1st gen. Tucson LX, or Limited had, 235/60/16" tires std, also had one of these.
The new Tucson GLS has,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,225/60/17" tires std, this is my present ride.
and the new Tucson Limited has,,,,,,,,,,,,225/55/18" tires std.

Do you see the profile pattern here? You're getting less sidewall (cushion) as the wheel size gets bigger, but you also get better handling, stopping, & starting, with the lower profile tires. Only the individual customer can decide whether the ride is too harsh or not? Higher profile/bigger sidewall tires may help, but remember the Tucson is made to give a sportier ride then the Santa Fe, but also better gas mileage.

·
Registered
570 Posts
We are also long-time Hyundai advocates, and we researched the heck out of this thing before we pulled the trigger. I wish I could remember which mag it was, but either Automobile or Motor Trend noted that the suspension was a bit stiffer in the AWD than in the FWD. (I searched, but could not find the article)

We have the FWD, and while we have the same bad roads in Michigan, we prefer this firm ride to any other SUV/minivan that we have owned. We live in a city that got a bargain on manhole covers; you know, the ones that are 2 inches BELOW the surface of the road? People actually dodge them as they travel down the busy main roads! It is hilarious. I imagine if we took out our old Santa Fes and hit those same bumps we are hitting now, we would not like the ride very much, but it was something we just got accustomed to.

Hopefully, you will find relief! Good luck.

tim B)

·
Registered
4 Posts
We also have a Limited with the 18" wheels and are not only experiencing a bumpy ride, but also a tremendous amount of road noise in the cabin. Is it me or do the Kumoho tires seem overly grippy and loud to anyone else? Even on relatively smooth asphalt, the Tucson sounds like its riding on grooved pavement at highway speeds.

Has anyone decided to switch out their P225/55/18 tires for another brand? If so, which one? Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a limited and the tire noise was something I noticed right away. I then test drove a GLS with 17" wheels to see if there was any difference. No difference in sound. I think it's a combination of tire and noise insulation (or lack thereof) used. I'm used to it now. It doesn't bother me one bit.

·
Registered
570 Posts
One thing we do is to always travel with our rear cargo cover closed. This seems to bring down the noise quite a bit.

tim B)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good tip Tim. Our ix35 (Aussie Tuscon) also has a bit of road noise. I'll try to close the rear cover and see if there's a difference.
Also, ours is a diesel so that makes the noise/rattle a bit louder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, definitely a sportier suspension than any of my older rides. If you're not into that sort of thing than I guess it is a preference thing. I live in a good area where the roads are generally smooth and the responsiveness I'm feeling is not typically in my butt and back, so I'm just enjoying the benefits of the suspension for the most part. But I have also gone down a few back roads and know what you're talking about. Even a 5 minute drive down a bumpy road in this vehicle can be downright painful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts