Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it's the never ending saga of trying to connect an MP3 player to the older Santa Fes.

I currently have an FM transmitter but I'd like better audio quality as around Toronto there's only two frequencies free and even then it's just that those stations are weak, not a totally free frequency... and they're popular with everyone else with an FM transmitter!

So. Is it possible to put a 2010 Santa Fe radio into the 2008? I want that iPod control and have it look factory nice!

I've looked into the 3rd party iPod interfaces that cost $200 (more in shipping when it gets into Canada tho!) But looking for something hopefully cheaper. I'm good with a soldering iron so if bring it on if that's possible!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (aiyah @ Aug 26 2010, 12:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352135
Yes it's the never ending saga of trying to connect an MP3 player to the older Santa Fes.

I currently have an FM transmitter but I'd like better audio quality as around Toronto there's only two frequencies free and even then it's just that those stations are weak, not a totally free frequency... and they're popular with everyone else with an FM transmitter!
Sounds about like Denver. Not much for vacant frequencies, and you lose those just moving north out of the metro area.

Then again, there's "FM transmitters" and "FM transmitters". If you are using the kind that is "freestanding" and transmits from wherever it's located to wherever your car aerial is located, I can understand your frustration. Be advised that there is a 2nd type of FM transmitter available (sometimes referred to as an FM Modulator) that is connected inline with your vehicle antenna and cuts out most of the external FM signals when you switch it on. As an example, check the Audiovox FM100A unit. I found the spare panel between the butt warmer switches was an ideal spot to locate the switch. Since the gear in question fit nicely into the armrest console, I located the 1/8" stereo jack there. You'll need to supply your own 1/8" jack or an adapter. As you're good on the soldering, just cut off the two RCA jacks on the input side and replace with the 1/8" stereo jack. Be sure to use the isolator that comes with - if you don't you may get some ground loop whine.

With this design, you won't have the interference problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FM100A-Modu...r/dp/B0001KO7UI

·
Registered
291 Posts
In the UK at least, the harness plug is quite differnet so it's not a case of plug and play. Same sized unit.

Since I didn't want my ipod on show, i've put this usb panel

[attachment=20930:panel_usb.jpeg]

in the glove box and connected it to an aftermarket head unit.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts