Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's, I have had my SF 2010 about a month now and am very impressed with it. The manual confuses me when i look for instructions about driving in snow.

Should i have 4WD lock on all the time?
In snow, driving slowly, should ESP be on or off?

I have no intention of driving off road in snow, i just want to drive as safely as possible on untreated roads.
My snow driving is likely to be in / around Buxton and Glossop in Derbyshire UK.

Be grateful for any advice from you 4WD experts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
QUOTE (IBD Pete @ Dec 4 2010, 01:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376911
Hi Guy's, I have had my SF 2010 about a month now and am very impressed with it. The manual confuses me when i look for instructions about driving in snow.

Should i have 4WD lock on all the time?
In snow, driving slowly, should ESP be on or off?

I have no intention of driving off road in snow, i just want to drive as safely as possible on untreated roads.
My snow driving is likely to be in / around Buxton and Glossop in Derbyshire UK.

Be grateful for any advice from you 4WD experts.
You,ll find the rear wheels will kick in automatically when required, the ESP should be on which it always is unless you turn it off, no need to lock the 4WD except in extreme circumstances where it may be hard to extract the vehicle from deeper snow or mud, I've had five 4x4's and never had to use the WD lock.
You may find our American and Canadian pals may tell you more about it their weather being more severe than ours in the UK.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum :00000732:

I agree with gazza, however on occasion I do "Lock" AWD in slippery conditions. It provides sightly quickly traction from a stop, with no front wheel slippage. But it probably also increases wear and tear over time.. something to consider if you're keeping your SF forever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ESP should be left enabled in most circumstances. They are instances where some wheel spin is desirable or unavoidable, so ESP should be disabled in those situations. Specifically if you are stuck in a snowbank or are pushing through deep snow, you don't need ESP intervening to cut power and kill momentum. Also, in cases where very little traction is available, wheel spin may unavoidable, so any type of forward momentum is good, and again, you don't need ESP killing it.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Ask me about the time my '04 went into an arcing ballet across four lanes and wound up facing the wrong direction because I tried to change lanes over a rutted surface. I'm sure it looked cool from the outside but it scared the ever loving crap out of me. Thankfully nobody was coming the other direction. Glad I've got ESP now!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guy's for you comments, I think I now understand what to do in some different circumstances. I noticed some of you are from USA and Canada, If I can help you in any way, just let me know. And Gazza, if you are ever anywhere near Congleton give me a call.

·
Registered
313 Posts
QUOTE (IBD Pete @ Dec 5 2010, 07:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377060
Thanks Guy's for you comments, I think I now understand what to do in some different circumstances. I noticed some of you are from USA and Canada, If I can help you in any way, just let me know. And Gazza, if you are ever anywhere near Congleton give me a call.
Hi Pete,

You might consider joining The HOCGT " Hyundai Owners Club Great Britain" you'll get stacks of advice in their forum, you may find some members in your area to.

Gazza!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts