Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some issues with my rear diff messing up and binding badly, dealer wanted $4,600usd to replace, mechanic buddy told me to change the fluid, which I did at the dealership and it'll begin to solve the issue. It has so far but he informed me to help the rest of it along, I should probably flush out the rear diff fluid and replace it with Red Line 75W90 GL5.

Is the 75W90 correct and if so, how much? I think I found it takes 1.2Q.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Guessing you must be the 2nd owner, or have put a record number of miles on that thing. Original owner drivetrain is 10yrs 100K mi.

Per Hyundai:

Hypoid gear oil (API GL-5, SAE 75W/90)
Oil quantity : Fill the reservoir to the filter plug hold (About 0.9 L)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Glad to help. If it doesn't work out for you, the junkyard is your friend. We RARELY see rear diffs going out on these vehicles, so I'd be very comfortable grabbing a used one and slapping it in. Heck of a lot less than $4600, that's for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i priced one out used with "very low miles" for $650usd. That's one pulled for me since the junk yards around here don't have any v6 awd's at the moment...It is my next step if changing out the gear oil with redline doesn't do anything. I know that back in the day when I knew more about elantra's then i probably should have, they used to use redline gear oil in their tranny's to get rid of the second gear grind. Miracle stuff? maybe not, but even any improvement will be nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts