Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 Sant Fe and when at 80 km/hr + and we roll the rear windows down (all others up) there is a deafening pounding of viberating air. Sounds like a massive subwoofer pounding away & you can not take it. Has anyone else experienced this? If I roll down the front windows or sun roof the sound quits.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
May I ask why you're rolling just the back windows down? It has something to do with air pressure being forced in and having nowhere to go so it just bounces around. Pretty much every car I know of suffers from this issue and the name of the phenomenon escapes me at the moment. Just crack a front window and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That goes back to at least 1987 or there about when I used to do Toyota... people complain there was noise from rear tire, they could hear it when the was window down...

Isn't Earth Science 101 a wonderful thing :banana:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Back "in the day", I had a '64 Pontiac Bonneville that had the worst case of that of any of the cars I've ever owned. It's not all that uncommon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe the term for this is called buffeting.

·
Registered
398 Posts
QUOTE (praaa @ Sep 27 2010, 05:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359250
Have a 2010 Sant Fe and when at 80 km/hr + and we roll the rear windows down (all others up) there is a deafening pounding of viberating air. Sounds like a massive subwoofer pounding away & you can not take it. Has anyone else experienced this? If I roll down the front windows or sun roof the sound quits.

Sorry, I can't help but wonder if you are being serious or sarcastic.

Every car on the planet does this, especially SUV's based on their design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was serious, I have had many cars over the years and ridden in lots and this is the first vehicle I have ever noticed it on. The questions why roll down the back windoes? Fresh air of course, if you roll down the front you have wind blowing stuff around and in your face. Appreciate everyones reply knowing it isn't uncommon.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Had a '04 Tiburon for service this morning, took on test drive and had driver window down ----> boom-boom-boom...

·
Registered
65 Posts
The main reason the Santa Fe, at least the 2010 version, has such a VIOLENT buffeting with just one rear window down is the design.

The way the roof slopes down towards the back has an amplified effect on the wind that hits the back window and whips back around and then is forced into the fresh wind coming back. This funnel effect is quite dynamic and I swear at 50mph you think something might fall off.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
This isn't a 'bug', its a 'feature'!

Want to shut the kids up? Want to drown them out? Well, just wind down the rear windows and then hit the window-lock button.

Works every time, works like a charm!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I tried this the other night and I have to say, the '10 suffers from this affliction far more than my '04 ever did. In fact it's probably one of the worst I've experienced.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Every vehicle I've ever owned has produced this phenomenon... I'm surprised that so many people have never experienced it before.

Unfortunately the only cure is to keep your windows up on the highway. Either that or move to some place that has no atmosphere. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
"They all do that sir" :D Our 2000 Accord had this, as does the MIL's 2009 civic. Not tried it in the Santa Fe yet, but will do and I expect it to be there and probably very annoying, but it's not a fault and nothing much you can do about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts