Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 2010 santa fe sport. the first couple of hundred kilometers it felt like a vibration in the seats and a little in the steering wheel. at about 80 to 120 kilometers an hour. it gets worse with speed. i even feel it when i go a little slower, lilke a hopping feeling or a up and down with stiff suspension. I took it back to the dealer and the tech ( tire boy) took it on the road and cam back no vibration. he balanced the tires again, while scratching one of my 18" rims by leaning the painted surface on the shop floor. and gave it back to me. now the vibration is worse.

heard of a tsb# 08-ss-003 that comes from hyundai that describes the symptoms that i and lots of other hyundai owner are experiencing. it states that hyundai recommends the tires and rims be put on a RFV hunter 9700 road variance machine. or radial force balance the wheels and tires. that way there is pressure ( up to 1400 lbs) on the tire and rim and simulates actual road conditions rather then basic balancer that hyundai dealers have in our area.

I asked the service manager if he has a hunter machine and quoted the TSB, he replied that is from the hyundai usa, not hyundai canada and that he is not able to cover the cost of this proceedure, even though hyundai recommends this if a vibration is not solved by regular balancing.

so i have an appointment with a tire shop on friday to have all wheels and rims checked for out of round, bent rims and flat spots. i think this is a tire issue and i have heard that these hyundais come from alabama plant and that they sit for a while before being sold and develop flat spots. so i am going with this machine to see if there is any problem with the tires, this machine will pick up everything.

i am going to see what the result is from the hunter 9700 RFV balancer. the tires are bridgestone duellers H/T that i have found out are just junk and are prone to defects. since i don't even have 2000 k's on this car i think they will warrantee the tire. I heard so many horror stories about going back to dealer many times to just be given the brush off. the reglar balancer won't pick up what this machine will so i think i am saving myself some time fighting with the dealer, who will only do an alignment and balance and no change. after all, hyundai recommends this machine!! hoever my dealer won't pay for the use of it and most dealers in the city don't have one, although, audi, most gmc dealers and ford have them in the shop.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (longhorn @ May 4 2010, 10:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319645
i just bought a 2010 santa fe sport. the first couple of hundred kilometers it felt like a vibration in the seats and a little in the steering wheel. at about 80 to 120 kilometers an hour. it gets worse with speed. i even feel it when i go a little slower, lilke a hopping feeling or a up and down with stiff suspension. I took it back to the dealer and the tech ( tire boy) took it on the road and cam back no vibration. he balanced the tires again, while scratching one of my 18" rims by leaning the painted surface on the shop floor. and gave it back to me. now the vibration is worse.

heard of a tsb# 08-ss-003 that comes from hyundai that describes the symptoms that i and lots of other hyundai owner are experiencing. it states that hyundai recommends the tires and rims be put on a RFV hunter 9700 road variance machine. or radial force balance the wheels and tires. that way there is pressure ( up to 1400 lbs) on the tire and rim and simulates actual road conditions rather then basic balancer that hyundai dealers have in our area.

I asked the service manager if he has a hunter machine and quoted the TSB, he replied that is from the hyundai usa, not hyundai canada and that he is not able to cover the cost of this proceedure, even though hyundai recommends this if a vibration is not solved by regular balancing.

so i have an appointment with a tire shop on friday to have all wheels and rims checked for out of round, bent rims and flat spots. i think this is a tire issue and i have heard that these hyundais come from alabama plant and that they sit for a while before being sold and develop flat spots. so i am going with this machine to see if there is any problem with the tires, this machine will pick up everything.

i am going to see what the result is from the hunter 9700 RFV balancer. the tires are bridgestone duellers H/T that i have found out are just junk and are prone to defects. since i don't even have 2000 k's on this car i think they will warrantee the tire. I heard so many horror stories about going back to dealer many times to just be given the brush off. the reglar balancer won't pick up what this machine will so i think i am saving myself some time fighting with the dealer, who will only do an alignment and balance and no change. after all, hyundai recommends this machine!! hoever my dealer won't pay for the use of it and most dealers in the city don't have one, although, audi, most gmc dealers and ford have them in the shop.

any suggestions?
I'm going through the exact same issue, I purchased a brand new Santa Fe 2010 and it has been back to the dealships 5 times. had all wheels aligned and balanced, drive shafts changed twice , high force balanced and the vibration is still there. I called Hyundai Canada many times , I have filed with CAMVAP so this vehicle is going to arbitration, apparently vibration is an issue with the Santa FE. Report your problem to Transport Canada .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine has bridgestone duellers H/T 18" tires. at 100 - 120 it vibrates in the seats, took it out today and felt it in the seats, kind of vibrates in the legs. I have an appointment with a dealer tomorow. I have read many threads that people keep comming back to the dealer to get tires rebanlanced. I have quoted the tsb# 08-ss-003 to use the road force balance. might help,

did they road force yours using the hunter 9700 road variance machine, did you get a printout for each individual tire and wheel? did they find any bad tires? how did they conclude that their was machanical issues instead of tire or wheel issues? from what i have read, vibration in the seats, vibration at speed not acceleration or braking means it a tire issue. i am hoping for the best.

the thing that sucks is that I brought it in to the dealer that i bought it from and the idiot tech did a road test but did not get up to specified speed to properly feel the vibration, just side streets, then when taking off the wheels. he laid the painted side down and scratched the rim!! it isn't even two weeks old and only 1400 k's on it. i spoke to the service manager and he informed me that when he gets a loaner, he will take the rim off and get it re-painted, complained to hyundai canada and i am going to ask for a new rim. total lack of respect and know how.

going to take tech out for a test drive on the highway before they touch it

thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good luck......... I'm another one going through CAMVAP now. Dealers are loath to do it but have them put on some wheels and tires from another vehicle on the lot and try it, my guess is the vibration will still be there......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not very uplifting. the **** thing is brand new. i go in tomorow, the service rep said it should only be a days job. somehow i don't believe that. I am going to show them the vibration, then leave it with them. i discussed worst case.....if they need to warrantee the tire....none in stock in western canada!!! they will road force test it if all else fails. at least that will cancel out the wheels and tires. the rep at precision hyundai in calgary did say that if they have to, will swap tires with another santa fe, but i think all santa fe's have this vibration issues. and hyundai knows about it since they came out with a TSB# for the very problem.

i will post results...however i can't think this will be an easy fix!! :rant2: :rant2: :rant2:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (longhorn @ May 6 2010, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320329
.....if they need to warrantee the tire....none in stock in western canada!!!
Just goes to show how smart you guys are up there. Nobody with any sense would actually BUY a Dueler 684II as a replacement tire, so why stock them? :clap:

You may well find that they will turn up a bad corner on the balancer. It certainly wouldn't be a first, and it's an issue that's been going on with Santa Fe models with the 684II tires long before the 2010 hit the market.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's what i thought. the tires are probably crap!! had nothing but bad reviews about them, having flat spots from sitting too long in cold weather. that bridgestone dueller H/T 18" is ranked 62nd out of 67 of the worse tires on the market.

just to add insult to injury, the stealership just sent me an appreciation letter asking if all is well and to MARK THE SURVEY AS COMPLETELY SATISFIED/EXCELLENT rating. if not, they want me to contact them and explain why? i already told them about it and they damaged the rims......idiots...... going in tomorow for a look into the vibration issue. hoping they will find all four tires are out of round, flat spotted and unusable. I have a FWD vehicle so i can't think it's mechanical since it's speed sensitive, not during accelaration or braking. sounds like a tire issue. i wish they would just replace with something worth a crap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just took it in to the dealer this morning.....I took it out with the tech and he noticed the vibration. he then put it on the lift and re-balanced the tires and then he took it out for a test drive. he said that he fixed the problem. I took it out on the highway and it was noticeably better. i took it to 80 then 120 then 130 kh's and it was a lot better. still not new car smooth. he said that three tires were out of balance. some needed less weight then others.

it is a big improvement from before. I do noticed a slight vibration. is it just the tires that make the ride crappy? is it how these santa fe's ride, firm and stiff with a little shake? or is it the crappy tires?

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (longhorn @ May 7 2010, 03:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320625
just took it in to the dealer this morning.....I took it out with the tech and he noticed the vibration. he then put it on the lift and re-balanced the tires and then he took it out for a test drive. he said that he fixed the problem. I took it out on the highway and it was noticeably better. i took it to 80 then 120 then 130 kh's and it was a lot better. still not new car smooth. he said that three tires were out of balance. some needed less weight then others.

it is a big improvement from before. I do noticed a slight vibration. is it just the tires that make the ride crappy? is it how these santa fe's ride, firm and stiff with a little shake? or is it the crappy tires?
I was told by the Hyundai Canada customer service person her name- Judy "THAT'S HOW SUVS DRIVE" how rude and ignorant, with a vibration? we called CP24 and we asked live on air about this santa fe vibration and the guys on the show laughed their heads off and stated the vehicle is brand new and should be glass smooth. Mine was road forced balanced and drive shaft changed for a second time. The vibration is still there. The is so bumpy, wobbly and feels as though it's going to have a nervous breakdown, I do not feel safe driving it .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really think it's the tires......this vehicle shouldn't drive so crappy, and hyundai knows about these tires and are still putting them on new vehicles, it is negligent. They most likely have a deal with bridgestone and get them for nothing in quantity. so I will wait until these crappy tires wear out, by what i read it won't take long, and buy something better and hopefully a better ride. toyota sells them on their smaller suv's as well and have had the same problems. both manufacturers use them as OEM and using these tires after all the problems makes them look cheap!!

going to hunters tires on monday where precision hyundai bring in all their warranty and new vehicles to get road forced when they can't get the ride right. it's fine now.....hyundai lowered my expectations on how their vehicles ride.....so this should be an improvement. shouldn't the engineers at hyundai have thought this out and put in the effort instead of getting their own customers to do it for them? and then when customers find out about how crappy these tires are and hyundai have used them for years while pleading ignorance, I don't understand how they are 2nd in inital quality under porshe. toyota :57: at least admitted to the problems.....hyundai just benefited from it!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ May 7 2010, 11:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320769
Hmmm... I'm sticking by my previous comments about Hyundai Canada. You guys have the short end of this stick.
Yes I agree I made two phone calls to Hyundai America customer service and they said "no that's not how the Santa Fe drives" the brochure also states the santa fe "accelerates smoothly and is vibration free" . Unfortunately the American customer service could not help me since my vehicle was purchase in Canada.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not that this is related to the vibration issue....

I just took my SF for a service, just the quick check up one.
They had the car for 40 minutes and i get told it is ready and waiting up front.
Open the door and the door handle is black, the inner arm rest is black and there is grease on the steering wheel!!!
The SF is silver by the way...

Canada really does have the short end!!
They do not care about anything except getting you in and chatging a fortune!
Not very impressed...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i drove on the highway at about 80 to 100. the vibration is back!! the same as before just not in the steering wheel. i think the tires knocked out the balance again. i told those assholes in the service department that balancing them won't do ****....I dropped it off and 1 hour later the stupid tech said that he balanced the tires and all is great! for maybe a day and back to the same crap.

I told the service guy at precision hyundai that it needs more than a balance and to look into it more. all they did was a balance, that is the same as the last guys. extremely lazy. don't listen to a word you say and just do whatever the **** they want. can't tell them anything.

should i get the road force balance done, at my expense? maybe change the tires? or put a rag in the gas tank and torch it. **** it's only two weeks old!!

great job hyundai. buy your car and then your on your own cause we don't give a ****!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (longhorn @ May 8 2010, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321047
i drove on the highway at about 80 to 100. the vibration is back!! the same as before just not in the steering wheel. i think the tires knocked out the balance again. i told those assholes in the service department that balancing them won't do ****....I dropped it off and 1 hour later the stupid tech said that he balanced the tires and all is great! for maybe a day and back to the same crap.

I told the service guy at precision hyundai that it needs more than a balance and to look into it more. all they did was a balance, that is the same as the last guys. extremely lazy. don't listen to a word you say and just do whatever the **** they want. can't tell them anything.

should i get the road force balance done, at my expense? maybe change the tires? or put a rag in the gas tank and torch it. **** it's only two weeks old!!

great job hyundai. buy your car and then your on your own cause we don't give a ****!!
We here in Ontario empathize with you, we had only 18km on our Santa FE and we had to return it the next morning after purchase because of the vibration and it's been back to the dealership 5 times. It was back in the shop 4 times within 4 weeks of purchase and same thing- rotate and balance rotate and balance. The 2nd dealership did the high force balance and by the way the drive shaft changed twice. This is a brand new vehicle everyone I speak with says Hyundai should give me a new vehicle or a refund, this is so stressful for us. We have always purchased used vehicles and we have never had this much trouble mind you we have always bought GM this is our first offshore vehicle. Our vibration is still there and we had our Santa Fe road force balance so don't waste your money and also if you do get it done Hyundai should pay for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the steering vibration has completely stopped and is now smooth. the seats have a vibration that is the same as before. generally, this would mean that the back tires are bad. is this how the others are? or is the symptoms more in the steering wheel and seats at higher higher speeds? also, when balancing numerous times at the dealer, do they always tell you that the tires were out of balance even though they were just balanced.

I am thinking that the tires are out of round, and that they do balance initially, then trow off the balance after a few kilometers bringing them back to out of balance. happened to me on a 99 intrepid. had to replace a couple of tires and then all was well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (V6SF3.3L @ May 8 2010, 03:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320984
Not that this is related to the vibration issue....

I just took my SF for a service, just the quick check up one.
They had the car for 40 minutes and i get told it is ready and waiting up front.
Open the door and the door handle is black, the inner arm rest is black and there is grease on the steering wheel!!!
The SF is silver by the way...

Canada really does have the short end!!
They do not care about anything except getting you in and chatging a fortune!
Not very impressed...
I don't know if this will make you feel any better but I had the same problem here in the USA. I have beige interior and they got grease on the door, steering wheel, headliner and sun visors. They tried twice to remove with no luck. I had to take to a detail shop that finally got most of it out but dealer had to replace passenger sun visor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (longhorn @ May 8 2010, 11:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321097
the steering vibration has completely stopped and is now smooth. the seats have a vibration that is the same as before. generally, this would mean that the back tires are bad. is this how the others are? or is the symptoms more in the steering wheel and seats at higher higher speeds? also, when balancing numerous times at the dealer, do they always tell you that the tires were out of balance even though they were just balanced.

I am thinking that the tires are out of round, and that they do balance initially, then trow off the balance after a few kilometers bringing them back to out of balance. happened to me on a 99 intrepid. had to replace a couple of tires and then all was well.
The vibration may be caused by transmission, so this is what I have heard through others or the tires that come with the Santa FE are crappy. One dealership offered to change all 4 tires for $2000.00 I told him this is a brand new vehicle Hyundai Canada should pay for the tires so I called Hyundai and sent them a letter to replace the tires the answer was no. The customer service leader there his name is Moss told us he would not be giving us any new tires.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't want to jinx myself here but I did have to say that I have had my new 2010 SF Sport (with the 18" Duellers) for one month yesterday. In that month, I've driven slightly over 5,000 kms and I'm nothing but pleased.
I'm experiencing none of the symptoms that are sources of complaint in some of the other posts. The Santa Fe is a very popular vehicle here and other owners also seem very pleased (which is a main reason why I purchased it).

A lesson I learned from my previous vehicle, was to talk to other owners first about their Dealer experiences. I don't believe in saying NEVER, but I will never buy a vehicle again from that prior car's dealer (not a Hyundai Dealer), and the experiences that gave me TOTALLY turned me off that brand.

The Dealers in my opinion, are often the (very) weak link in our experiences with our vehicles of any brand.

All the manufacturers seem to put very soft, cheap tires on as OEM. The softness gives us that nice smooth ride on our test drives, and they have alot of stick for that go go and zoom zoom effect. To only get 30,000 kms out of any OEM tire is not unusual.

Often times the simplest sources of a problem are the hardest to find, because it's nothing obvious. I think the source of the issues in this post thread is most likely a tire or rim issue, and it's probably due to a minor defect that has yet to be identified.

What is not encouraging is to see the responses some of you are getting beyond the dealer level.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought it was tires/wheels also and waited to long to go deeper. Only after I bought new Michelin winter tires and wheels did I find out there was no change, same vibration. Have returned the originals on now and...... no change. CAMVAP is slow as molasses, start early...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts