Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who has had their dealership install a remote car stater for a 2010 Santa Fe had/have any problems?

The problem I have is as follows. When you start the vehicle remotely, it will start but it will then randomly shut off and start again. Sometimes it will take as little as 1 minute into the run before the first shutdown and restart, the longest has been 12 minutes, which is just before the 15 minute cutoff time. Thus far it is completely random as to if and when it will do this, and how many times it will stop and start. The most stop and starts in one session recorded thus far is 4.

I had the dealership look in to it and surprise!!! they were unable to duplicate the problem and thus fix it.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
361 Posts
Trucker,
Thats not what you fellow Canadian asked.
Not a very nice way to talk to or treat a new person on the forum.
He didn't ask for your opinion if he should buy one.
He asked a legitimate question.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How long did they actually try it? Did they let it run the 15 minutes, or did they let it run 3 minutes? You may need to make an appointment and be there with the mechanic waiting for the issue to occur. Otherwise, they say no problem found, punch on diagnostic and walk away. If Hyundai installed it they have a responSIbility to fix it.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (bnelsonr @ Jun 1 2010, 08:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328387
Thats not what you fellow Canadian asked.
Not a very nice way to talk to or treat a new person on the forum.
He didn't ask for your opinion if he should buy one.
He asked a legitimate question.
I'll second that. But I will also agree with the comment that remote starters are nothing but trouble. A quick search of this forum will illustrate why.

My suggestion to Kurisu is that if the dealer cannot fix their own work, I would ask for the device to be removed and my money refunded. Even if someone with more technical knowledge than me can suggest ways of fixing the device, all that will do is void whatever warranty is left and push you further up the creek without a paddle. I wouldn't touch it.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. :57:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a hyundai car starter on my Santa Fe also and was told that if the heat/cold is up/down all the way and the fan setting up all the way the vehicle would shut off. So if you are cranking everything to the max then this might be the problem. Another note that I have noticed is that when I purchased the car starter and had it installed on my new vehicle they did not give the regular key fob, which I thought at the time was okay considering I had two remote starter fobs that worked the panic/door locks. After having it for two weeks I realized that the range on the key fob for unlocking the doors was terrible, like 10-20 feet. That's completely sad considering most give you closer 3-4 times that much range. So for anyone considering getting a hyundai car starter make sure you get the regular key fobs as they will have much better range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" was told that if the heat/cold is up/down all the way and the fan setting up all the way the vehicle would shut off. So if you are cranking everything to the max then this might be the problem."

Thanks for the reply, I actually have tried it with the fan speeds down and off and still get the same problem. Also I did notice the range decrease also, I did ask the dealership about it and they figured that the antenna in the fob uses a weaker signal. In other words they have no idea, I even tried a new battery in my fob just in case they gave me weak battery, it didn't help.

As for Trucker: "Why would anyone spend hundreds $$$ for a remote starter?"
One you assume I paid for it, for the record I didn't. Dealership through it in no charge for being a returning customer. The way I see it, it came with the new vehicle so why not have it work correctly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Question...
Did you try this anywhere else? Meaning, you tried it at home (works erratically) and at the dealership (works well). I've heard stories from everything from remote garage door openers starting it to hydro lines causing interference (that I'll attest to, I'm an electrician and have seen some pretty funny ****) :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (Kurisu @ May 31 2010, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328254
Has anyone who has had their dealership install a remote car stater for a 2010 Santa Fe had/have any problems?

The problem I have is as follows. When you start the vehicle remotely, it will start but it will then randomly shut off and start again. Sometimes it will take as little as 1 minute into the run before the first shutdown and restart, the longest has been 12 minutes, which is just before the 15 minute cutoff time. Thus far it is completely random as to if and when it will do this, and how many times it will stop and start. The most stop and starts in one session recorded thus far is 4.

I had the dealership look in to it and surprise!!! they were unable to duplicate the problem and thus fix it.
we have the same problem with our remoter starter, the dealership possibly programmed it in valet mode, anyway I've given up on that issue a long time ago. did you receive a manual with your remote starter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ May 31 2010, 08:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328258
Why on earth would you want a remote starter? Waste of money. :gitara: They are the devil's invention. :grin: If there's no ant-idling bylaw in your area yet, there will be soon.

If you knew anything about most idling by laws there's a certain temperature where they cut it off at. Me personally I like a warm vehicle in the winter, especially when its -30 out, and also I like not having my windows fog up once I get into my vehicle.

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
I was afraid this was going to happen. Please restrict your responses to answering the original question, not enter a spitting match over the pros and cons of remote start. This horse has been beaten far too many times.

:beathorse:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did read the manual and question the dealership on the installation job. I can pretty much get it to act up anywhere, it does not seem to be effect by any potential electrical interference. I have also been able to duplicate the problem at the dealership when I dropped off the Santa Fe to get a new transmission installed. They looked at it and reprogrammed it and also put a new module in it. To be honest I haven't really tested the remote starter since I got the vehicle back, it's summer and it's under warranty, I'll worry about it in the winter time I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same issue, and the reason for this is battery load. For some reason in the 2010 santa fe, unless you have your fan speed full blast, it will shut off in order to save the battery. By having the fan full tilt, it triggers the alternator to charge the batter. This fixed it for me, it's a pain in the a#$ but so far that's how it has to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (hum099 @ Jul 7 2010, 07:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339453
My issue has been solved. The dealer called the manufacturer for help. They had to run an additional wire. Remote start does not shut off prematurely even with the fan on full blast.
Would you be able to find out exactly what wire they had to install and it's termination points. That I way I can give it to the dealership here and say fix it according to the manufacturer.

Thanks for the post

·
Registered
18 Posts
I called the service department and he said they ran a wire from the tach (or tack) to the injector... Then relearned the tach. He said that if you say this to the dealership they would know what your talking about. He called Hyundai Canada and they gave him the phone number of the manufacturer. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.