Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my santa fe was pulling to the passenger side and i got it aligned again at shop but after that was done its still pulling to the right side. What could be a cause of that? it only has 17 000 km. any ideals would be greatly appreciated .Thanx

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (santafe2010NB @ Oct 6 2010, 09:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361664
my santa fe was pulling to the passenger side and i got it aligned again at shop but after that was done its still pulling to the right side. What could be a cause of that? it only has 17 000 km. any ideals would be greatly appreciated .Thanx
Sorry to say but mine also pulls to the right, had it aligned 4 times, it may be a characteristic of the santa fe

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but have you ruled out the crown of the road? Does the vehicle still pull right if you drive on the left side?

Sometimes I swear the alignment shops are in cahoots with the road builders... their revenues must double for every inch of added slope built into the center of the road. It causes drivers to think something is wrong with their car, when it is merely responding to gravity.

In 27 years of driving - including 60,000 km on my current Santa Fe - I have never had a wheel alignment done, except when replacing steering components. On that note, it wouldn't hurt to have your dealer inspect your stabilizer links, tie rod ends and other front-end parts. Some of them are prone to early wear on the Santa Fe, which certainly wouldn't help alignment. But 17k would be a bit ridiculous, and besides that a reputable alignment shop should have detected any looseness already.

·
Registered
314 Posts
QUOTE (santafe2010NB @ Oct 6 2010, 08:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361664
Swap the front tyres with the backs they will have even wear on them if that doesn't cure it chuck it back to the dealer to sort out as the rear suspension may be out of line, my 2010 Santa Fe runs in a straight line as did my 2006 and my 2002 models.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reply to Vehicle pulling to one side:

I have a 2007 Santa Fe, I had the same issues and found out it was the brakes. I took the vehicle back to the dealer with approx 14K miles on it and they said they would have to do a "Brake Inspection" and it wasn't free (Not under warranty). They found the brake sliders seized on the rear brake, and told me that was not covered under warranty. I took the vehicle home and performed a brake job (been doing this for 20+ years on all my vehicles). I also found that the front brake caliper bolt was seized and the brake has never worked since purchasing. I took it back to the dealer, and they also said the brake caliper slider bolts are not warrantied, at which point I called Hyundai Corp telephone number, and miraculous, the dealer then 'unstuck' and replaced the bolts in the Caliper. I live in the Cleveland, OH area and the Dealer was Ganley (don't recommend that dealership). After replacing all the pads on all four wheels and thoroughly cleaning all the caliper slides, that solved my pulling problem on my vehicle. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (santafe2010NB @ Oct 6 2010, 09:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361664
Hyundai issued a TSB on this problem several years ago. It said the first thing to do is switch the front tires, as Canderson said. I had the same problem when my 07 was new and switching the tires fixed it.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Ed MacArthur @ Oct 9 2010, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362299
Hyundai issued a TSB on this problem several years ago. It said the first thing to do is switch the front tires, as Canderson said. I had the same problem when my 07 was new and switching the tires fixed it.
I'm not so much sure "fixed" would be the word I'd use, but if the problem either disappeared for the moment or shifted to the other side, we'd be in a better position to diagnose what's happening.

Specifically, they issued 08-SS-004 as a diagnostic procedure:

DESCRIPTION:
Several factors may cause vehicle pull, both vehicle related and external conditions.
The purpose of this bulletin is to assist in identifying the vehicle related conditions that
cause pull and how to correct those conditions.

CAUSES OF VEHICLE PULL:
Vehicle pull is the tendency of the vehicle to drift right or left while driving in a straight
ahead direction on a straight road at a constant speed with no pressure on the steering
wheel. This pull or drift may be gradual and can always be compensated for by inputs
through the steering wheel. One or more of the following conditions may cause the
vehicle to pull:

Non-vehicle conditions that may cause the vehicle to pull:

• Cambered road surfaces - Most highways are built with cambered or "crowned"
surfaces to drain rain water. Sometimes the road camber is visually noticeable.
Other times, it is not. The vehicle may tend to pull to the left or right, depending
on the camber of the road surface.
• Cross-winds - A sometimes overlooked, yet possible cause of steering drift is
cross-winds. Side winds at higher vehicle speeds may cause vehicle pull. Please
do not rule out cross-winds when diagnosing a vehicle pull.
Vehicle pull caused by these two conditions is not related to vehicle adjustments and
no repair should be made.

Vehicle conditions that may cause the vehicle to pull:

• Tire inflation pressure - As small as a 2 pounds/square inch tire inflation
pressure difference between the right and left tires may cause a vehicle to
pull. Be sure to check the tire pressure before the tires are warmed up prior
to attempting more extensive diagnosis.
• Wheel alignment - Slightly out of specification wheel alignment causes very
few vehicles to pull. Therefore, if the vehicle wheel alignment has been
adjusted as close as possible to specification, DO NOT attempt to correct
the vehicle pull by changing the wheel alignment angles by bending
suspension components or other non-approved methods.
• Uneven brake adjustment - If one of the four brakes is dragging, the vehicle
may pull to the side of the dragging brake. Verify that none of the brakes are
dragging and that they are adjusted correctly prior to attempting more
extensive diagnosis.
• Incorrect vehicle trim height - If the trim height of the vehicle is not equal on
all sides, the vehicle may pull to the side of the lower trim height. Check and
adjust the trim height of the vehicle as necessary. Please note that a slight
variation in the vehicle trim height seldom causes a noticeable vehicle pull.
• Tire construction - The way in which the tire is built can produce vehicle pull.
An example of this is the placement of the under tread belt. An off-center
radial tire belt can cause the tire to develop a side force while rolling straight
down the road and the tire will tend to roll like a cone. To correct this
condition, please use the attached flow chart. This chart provides the
sequence of procedures designed to be performed for all conditions of
vehicle pull.
• Tire size - Different size tires or different make of tires, on either axles, may
cause a vehicle pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vehicle Pulling

I have a 2005 Sante Fe which I have loved until recently.

It started pulling to the right HEAVILY and feeling unstable. The car is always garaged, I drive like 3k miles a YEAR etc. and have kept up with all maintenance etc..

Shop said I needed a control arm/ball joint (driver side) & new brakes & rotors all around so....
Yesterday I had all that replaced brand new then went and had an alignment done at Hyundai.
The tech could NOT get the alignment to STAY adjusted, he was quite frustrated.

Said the most likely cause is RACK & PINON..... THAT is BIG MONEY!
Said a lesser possibility is a tire issue but none had been found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts