Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have had my Santa Fe for 3 months now and have just noticed recently (due to the cold wet weather) that when it is raining my windscreen fogs up when the climate control is set to auto. This never happened in my previous car (VW Golf GTI). I always drive with climate control set to auto and temp set to 23 degrees C. When the windscreen fogs up I have to set A/C to on to demist it. The temperature is then totally different. I can only get a clear windscreen with A/C on, no matter what mode. E.g. If I just have front demister with no A/C then I fog up. If I have blowers set to windscreen and no A/C I fog up. Having A/C on with any mode is fine! When the windscreen is clear and I set the climate control back to auto then the windscreen fogs up almost immediately again.

This seems a bit rubbish to me. I would have thought that having the climate control set to auto is all that is required (like my previous car). I don't want to drive with A/C on when it is raining and auto when it is not. I just want to keep it in one mode.

Anyone else experienced this or do I have to take it back to the dealers.

Cheers,

Kev

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I think you're underestimating how much using the air conditioning will help keep your windows fog-free. A/C removes moisture (and hence, condensation) from the air and keeps it dryer which keeps the windows from fogging up. My old Santa Fe automatically turned on the A/C when the defroster was turned on and while I'm not sure if my new one does it, I'll gladly take the small hit in fuel mileage for clear windows. We're heading for a high of 80 here today and it's supposed to be dry for the next week so it will probably be a while before I can comment on the effectiveness of the defrost in my new car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Up here in the PacNW I've already had to use the defroster a few times. It does indeed automatically turn on the AC when you push the defrost button. I have not yet tried to use it without using the AC. It's supposed to be fairly dry and warm over the next couple weeks so I don't think I'll have a chance to try it soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My A/C comes on automatically when I select the defrost/demist button but I can toggle the A/C on and off. I can also select fresh air or recirculate air. I think there is a method of enabling/disabling this feature in the user manual.

My query is that should it be up to the driver to manually select the demist/defrost button (which would also turn on A/C)? I wouldn't expect to have to do this with the 'top of the range' climate control. I would expect climate control to automatically 'control' condensation inside the car when it is set to auto mode.

It seems like not all climate controls are equal.

By the way, it was raining and the outside temp was 13 degrees C. Not sure what that is in F.

Cheers,
Kev

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
FYI, 13ºC = 55ºF.

I can't say I've ever seen a system that can detect when a windshield is fogging up. Now I tried it on mine and when I press the front defrost button, the A/C kicks on and the fan goes to maximum speed. When using 'AUTO' on mine, the cooler temperature shifts air distribution to the face (panel) vents and warmer temperatures direct it to the floorboard.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Blowing damp air on a cool windshield is going to fog it up - there's just no getting around that. It's for that reason that the default manual operation of the upper blower is to kick on the A/C in an attempt to dry the air before it gets there. Don't fight it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was fogging up again today although it was not raining but a little misty. I put A/C on to demist the windscreen which worked BUT I then got a patch of condensation on the outside of the windscreen (on the bottom of the passenger side just above where the windscreen air vent is). It came back after each wipe with the blades. What is going on?!?

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (orca @ Sep 28 2010, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359460
I was fogging up again today although it was not raining but a little misty. I put A/C on to demist the windscreen which worked BUT I then got a patch of condensation on the outside of the windscreen (on the bottom of the passenger side just above where the windscreen air vent is). It came back after each wipe with the blades. What is going on?!?

I am not sure of your geographic location. I do get the same thing over here... It is always a very foggy place with very high relative humidity.

When you cool the inside of the car air does condense faster on the outside..Just wipe with wiper...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (orca @ Sep 28 2010, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359460
Orca - please do NOT take this question the wrong way... but in order to understand your expectations vs. long experience with the nuisance of driving in cool, damp climates ... how many vehicles have you owned before this one, and of what types? Or is this your first year in the sort of climate you're experiencing now? I could understand here in the U.S. if someone moved from Phoenix, AZ to Albany, NY -- definitely calls for an adjustment period.

I ask because what you're describing is something many of us live with during certain seasons each and every year, and have done with many different cars over those years. We don't give it a second thought. Back when a larger % of cars didn't have A/C installed to help dry the air, life was even more entertaining. Nothing like having to scrape the INSIDE of the windshield or wait for the car to heat up!

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (orca @ Sep 28 2010, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359460
Orca
Try using the mode select button and push it until the windscreen and air coming out of the dash appears. (leave the airconditioneer selected on) This will put just a little air on the windscreen and will keep the fog off of the windscreen. Also recirculate the air at all times during moist rainy weather. This will keep your interior of the car dry and therefor less tendency to fog up. Another trick is to keep the inside of the windscreen clean as this will also assist in keeping the fog from forming.

By using the defrost button it increases the air flow greatly and the air moving up to the windscreen will be quite a bit cooler for a while until everthing evens out. Cold/cool air blowing on the inside of the windscreen will cause the moisture to condense on the outside of the windscreen just above the defroster outlets.

Be patient and do not make drastic changes and you will find what works.

I run my heater in recirculate and air conditioneer on at all times during the winter and wet months as it keeps the inside of the car nice and dry and therefore assists in keeping all my windows clear at all times.

Remember that when the air conditioneer is selected, the air is first cooled to remove the moisture and then heated. By selecting the defrost it will generally give you cold/cool air until the baffle doors position themselves to the mix position.

Good luck

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Using recirculate with the heater in my cars makes my sinuses go crazy...not sure why but it does. If the air is moist, the windows fog up VERY quickly.

·
Registered
501 Posts
QUOTE (dunmovin @ Sep 29 2010, 01:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359528
I run my heater in recirculate and air conditioneer on at all times during the winter and wet months as it keeps the inside of the car nice and dry and therefore assists in keeping all my windows clear at all times.
Just the opposite for me, and windows never fog. Never have recirculate on. Well, almost never. Sometimes in the summer I do. :grin:

·
Registered
212 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Sep 29 2010, 06:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359557
Just the opposite for me, and windows never fog. Never have recirculate on. Well, almost never. Sometimes in the summer I do. :grin:
The recirculate option will almost always cause fogging if the A/C is not on. I notice that the factory setting prohibits the use of recirculate in the SF when defrost or bi-level is selected too - even though the factory default is for the A/C to kick in automatically when selecting either of those options (even though the A/C light ISN'T on). Ina previos thread, I posted how to over ride this so that recirculate is an option in defrost modes as well as over riding the auto A/C.

But, back to the original poster's concern. It's been my experience with any car I have owned that in damp weather when turning on the defroster (and assuming the A/C remains off), my windscreen will fog rapidly IF the last time I used the car, I was running the A/C. This is effect is compounded very dramatically if you start with the temp control and turn it to heat; the windscreen will fog solid almost instantly. The only way to remove this is to hit the A/C or wait a long time with it off and the heat on full for the fog to burn off.
I concluded that the reason behind this had to do with water that builds up when the A/C is used. My old accord had a drip tray collector(like a fridge) inside the cabin. One day I started noticing a sloshing sound when I took corners. After some investigating, I found this drip tray and the vent tube for it to the outside was clogged. But even with it unclogged, I assume there is always a little moisture in the system and by throwing the heat on, it picks this up deposits it onto the cool windscreen.
I minimized this problem in the Accord (I don't notice it too much with my SF as I live in a dry and cold climate now) but running the fan on full and heat on high but with the windows down before I shut it off on a damp day when I used the AC. My logic was that I was evaporating any water in the system with the heat and throwing it out the windows but also lowering the temp of the cabin to the outside air temp so that it help less moisture in it and so when the car was shut off and it cooled inside the cabin, there was less moisture to condense out.
Sounds like and elaborate explanation to a simple issue but makes sense to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (canderson @ Sep 29 2010, 03:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359493
Orca - please do NOT take this question the wrong way... but in order to understand your expectations vs. long experience with the nuisance of driving in cool, damp climates ... how many vehicles have you owned before this one, and of what types? Or is this your first year in the sort of climate you're experiencing now? I could understand here in the U.S. if someone moved from Phoenix, AZ to Albany, NY -- definitely calls for an adjustment period.

I ask because what you're describing is something many of us live with during certain seasons each and every year, and have done with many different cars over those years. We don't give it a second thought. Back when a larger % of cars didn't have A/C installed to help dry the air, life was even more entertaining. Nothing like having to scrape the INSIDE of the windshield or wait for the car to heat up!
I'm from the UK and have been driving small hatchback cars most of my life. My last couple of cars (over a 7 year period) have been Volkswagen Golfs (Rabbits in the US I think?) both with dual zone climate control. We don't have a climate in the UK, we only have weather and very random it is too. At the moment its been either raining or just damp and a bit misty. Temp is about 15 degrees C. It is not extreme conditions.

I used to drive in these types of conditions in the Golfs with the climate control set to auto with no problems whatsoever, no foggy windscreen. It was only in cold/freezing conditions (UK winters are not cold compared to US and Canada) that I had to turn on the defrost to clear the windscreen but when it was defrosted and demisted I set it back to auto with no problems. I think the VW climate control must be more 'intelligent' than Hyundai's in someway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never drive with recirculate on (the warnings about lack of oxygen put me off :) ) apart from if I'm stuck in traffic and exhaust fumes start to come into the cabin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have just done a search for how the VW Golfs climate control (climatronic) works and it appears to be a fully automatic system which is more advanced than the Hyundai's. Here's a link if you want to have a look http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/com...climate-control

Just out of interest the Santa Fe's climate control doesn't have humidity sensors but the new Hyundai ix35 (Tucson?) does. I guess I have to learn to live with what I've got.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I think I have discovered what is causing some of the problems I have been experiencing - the heating on the passenger side does not work! It blows cold air no matter what temperature is set (all passenger vents). The drivers side is fine. I took it to the dealers after work and they said that it was one of the heater control boxes (or something along the lines of) that was not working. Unfortunately to fix the problem will most likely require the entire dash to be removed! They said they will need it in for a few days.

Hopefully they can fix it without too much damage to the car.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Ah....that would explain a lot. Hopefully they are competent enough to get it fixed correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, I think I have discovered what is causing some of the problems I have been experiencing - the heating on the passenger side does not work! It blows cold air no matter what temperature is set (all passenger vents). The drivers side is fine. I took it to the dealers after work and they said that it was one of the heater control boxes (or something along the lines of) that was not working. Unfortunately to fix the problem will most likely require the entire dash to be removed! They said they will need it in for a few days.

Hopefully they can fix it without too much damage to the car.
This happened to my 2008 recently and the dealer had it for eight days, as they got the wrong part at first. New valve cured the problem (under warranty).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts