Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchsed a new 2010 Santa Fe SE (our first Hyundai) with tow package (but no hitch). I am looking at aftermarket hitch options and have narrowed it down to the following:

A. Curt (C13004)
B. Cequent Brands
  1. Draw-Tite (75684)
  2. Hidden-Hitch (87574)
  3. Reese (44639)
I have seen a fair amount of discussion and photos about hitch options for pre-2010 Santa Fe's, but nothing concerning the 2010 models.

I would appreciate any thoughts, experiences, and most importantly photos of any of the hitches installed on your 2010 Santa Fe.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Did anything even change on the 2010? As far as I know it was just grilles, tail lights, etc. I don't think there is any difference in the rear bumper or frame or anything else that would affect a hitch install.

I got mine (2008) from etrailer.com They are really good and when you look at their hitches they also give links to the wiring etc. I went with the Curt, but after installing it I wanted to mount the wiring connector, so I had to get some brackets to do that. Looking back now, it would have been easier to get one with the mounting plate already attached since the tow package has the pre-wiring outside under the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi peachferrari,

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate the comments. By the way I like the way the Curt hitch looks on the 2008 Santa Fe - I have seen one of those in another post.

As for the 2010 Santa Fe, you are correct - very little changed on the exterior except for what you mentioned. The only other thing that I noticed is the absence of the dual exhausts - visible from the rear of the vehicle. Instead the exhaust is not visible at all, but is mounted on the passenger side and exits downward.

So the Cequent hitches (HiddenHitch, DrawTite, and Reese) now only have the one bracket looping under the exhaust and the other side is straight. It looks a little unbalanced to me. Although I haven't seen it on a 2010 Santa Fe yet, it looks like the middle of the hitch doesn't tuck up under the bumper as much as the pre-2010 hitches did. In fact, Curt switched the design of their hitch in favor of a tube style that is more visible but looks more balanced from the rear.

If anyone has either of these hitches installed on their 2010 Santa Fe, I'd love to see a photo.

[attachment=19942:Hitch.png]

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (peachferrari @ Aug 23 2010, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351421
Did anything even change on the 2010? As far as I know it was just grilles, tail lights, etc. I don't think there is any difference in the rear bumper or frame or anything else that would affect a hitch install.
Older hitches were designed around the dual exhausts, which are now missing. Putting one on a 2010 SF would be like putting a Speedo on a Eunuch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi jb10,

Thanks for taking the time to post photos of your 2010 Santa Fe with the Curt hitch. It looks very nice. We found you posting very helpful! That is the hitch that we are leaning toward installing but wanted to see it actually installed on a 2010 SF.

If anyone has any of the Cequent hitches installed on their 2010 SF, we would love to see photos if you get a chance.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (jb10 @ Aug 24 2010, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351711
I have the Curt hitch (C13004) installed on mine. It looks great.

[attachment=19970:001.jpg][attachment=19971:002.jpg][attachment=19972:003.jpg]

Hello, I'm a newbie here. I have a 2010 Sante Fe SE. I noticed you have a rubber protector on your bumper. Mine does not have one, nor was it an option to get one. Where did you get it installed? Dealer option?

Thanks.

JR

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (jamrom @ Aug 25 2010, 04:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351927
Hello, I'm a newbie here. I have a 2010 Sante Fe SE. I noticed you have a rubber protector on your bumper. Mine does not have one, nor was it an option to get one. Where did you get it installed? Dealer option?

Thanks.

JR
I had purchased it at Korean Auto Imports and installed it myself in about 5 minutes. Looks and works great. They are not available at the dealer. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/pro...roducts_id=4223

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also was looking for a good looking hitch on my white 2010 SF. Thanks for photos of the Curt. Looks nice. One question...did this installation require any exhaust modification? I looked under mine and there doesn't seem to be any space for that configuration hitch to fit between the muffler and the frame where it bolts on. Were the muffler hangers extended?
THanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (Timsz @ Aug 30 2010, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353016
Also was looking for a good looking hitch on my white 2010 SF. Thanks for photos of the Curt. Looks nice. One question...did this installation require any exhaust modification? I looked under mine and there doesn't seem to be any space for that configuration hitch to fit between the muffler and the frame where it bolts on. Were the muffler hangers extended?
THanks.
There are minor modifications required. They slightly bent one of the hangers to prevent the muffler from hitting the hitch. The total time to install it with the modification was about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Based on your info. I am going ahead and ordering a CURT which I will install myself to save some bucks. Good to know that I will need to do some minor convincing when fitting the muffler back into place. Do you happen to know which hanger they bent? I believe there is one on the front side of the muffler and another at the tailpipe. I am surprised that bending was adequate and there is enough space without the muffler contacting the hitch when it jiggles on the rubber hangers. Have you heard any mysterious knocking from under there on rough roads? ;-O

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (hyundai2010 @ Aug 21 2010, 07:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350950
We just purchsed a new 2010 Santa Fe SE (our first Hyundai) with tow package (but no hitch). I am looking at aftermarket hitch options and have narrowed it down to the following:

A. Curt (C13004)
B. Cequent Brands
  1. Draw-Tite (75684)
  2. Hidden-Hitch (87574)
  3. Reese (44639)
I have seen a fair amount of discussion and photos about hitch options for pre-2010 Santa Fe's, but nothing concerning the 2010 models.

I would appreciate any thoughts, experiences, and most importantly photos of any of the hitches installed on your 2010 Santa Fe.

Thanks in advance for your help!
:beer:
Hey I'm a new guy n just bought mine this week. I am concerned about transmission problems I'm reading about n hope it doesn't affect 2010 too much but here is the hitch I just ordered. The Curt hitch for my 2010 SE V6 AWD with tow pkg from Etrailer.com use promo code TY10 for $8.25 off. If you like I will let you know how it works out.
TFlight
C13004 Curt Class III Round Tube Trailer Hitch Receiver 1 $127.95 $127.95
118415 T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness 1 $36.95 $36.95
Referral Code: TY10: ($8.25)
Shipping: UPS Ground: $23.30
Free Shipping: ($23.30)
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $156.65

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great pricing for your Curt hitch but there is a $76 shipping fee to Canada from etrailer.com ;-( plus the exchange rate I am well over $200! I will find it elsewhere on ebay but regardless please let me know how it was to install and what exactly was required to make the muffler fit back into place.
THX - Tim

PS Got my 2010 V6 3.5 AWD in January now @ 12000 kms and no trani problems yet (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (Timsz @ Aug 31 2010, 12:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353285
Great pricing for your Curt hitch but there is a $76 shipping fee to Canada from etrailer.com ;-( plus the exchange rate I am well over $200! I will find it elsewhere on ebay but regardless please let me know how it was to install and what exactly was required to make the muffler fit back into place.
THX - Tim

PS Got my 2010 V6 3.5 AWD in January now @ 12000 kms and no trani problems yet (fingers crossed).
My tranny just exploded today... to answer your question, without the modifications there is about 2 inches of clearance between the muffler and hitch, normal driving on smooth roads you probably wouldn't hear anything, but as we all know the roads are not like that. The problem is the tailpipe hanger, you only have about 1 inch of clearance from the tailpipe, so that is the one I would focus my attention on. Once it is installed just use a pry bar on the hanger bracket until you get enough clearance, grabbing the exhaust and shaking it hard side to side and up and down will give you a good idea if you have enough clearance. I have hit some pretty big potholes and do not have any bangs. I have attached the installation instruction to give you an idea what it looks like. Hope this helps.

[attachment=20067:hitch_we...ructions.pdf]

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nasty news about your trani!!! Whats your mileage at?? let us know how that pans out with the dealer. Makes me reluctant to go far from home with mine!
Thanks kindly for the details on mounting the Curt hitch and muffler stuff etc.
- Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Can anyone verify that if you add a rear hitch, is there still clearance to drop and remove the spare tire?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (jaybot @ Sep 8 2010, 09:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355003
Hello

Can anyone verify that if you add a rear hitch, is there still clearance to drop and remove the spare tire?

Thanks, Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Yes - I added a Hidden Hitch to my 2010 Santa Fe, and a few months later blew a tire on the highway. When you start rotating the bolt to drop the spare, the front of the spare gets hung up a bit - but it's very easy to maneuver and clear the hitch. After I had the tire replaced, it was no problem to reset the spare.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone hookup the factory trailer wiring yet? If so how do you do it, thanks. I have since found the curt 55538 wiring connector which plugs into the two plugs and allows usage via a 4 wire connector.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts