Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It seems my car developed a new problem. Day before yesterday my car started making loud noise from the engine. Its like while running something is hitting inside. I mean the normal engine noise got a lot louder. There was no problem in driving or anything.

I took it over to the service center and they haven't able to find the problem. now they say they might need to open the head :(

Its only 2 years and 3 months old and just crossed 40k km.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would suggest to open the oil pan on the bottom first. It's easier access.
Maybe a piston bearing is getting loose and banging at the shaft.
I had it with an older car, many years ago.
It blew the engine.
If it's not that you can start opening up the head to check for loose valves and the like. However, you might think you would notice a worse engine performance then.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the mechanics have not been able to find the cause yet. Yesterday they checked the chain and camshaft. Later they opened up from below and didn't find anything with crank. Looks like they have to open up the head now :(

Also my car was the first in my city when Santa Fe was launched in 2010 here in India. And the mechanics looked to have no idea how to open it up as they hadn't done it before :( lets hope it turns out okayy.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Seems to me some loose object in the engine.
With a good common sense and a good technical eye most often you can figure out how to go about dismantling and putting back the head of the engine. Only watch out for the gaskets.
Take a lot of (digital) pictures in advance to see how it all is attached.
Do pay attention to the piping around the injectors.
And place (colorfull tape) marks at the wiring harness connectors so you can see which one connects to the other so you do not loose track.
Also mark the position of wheels and belts if you are going to take of a belt.
That often comes quite precise.
But if they are experienced mechanics they would know such things.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They told me the problem is with the piston and ring. Instead of changing it they are going to change half-engine. Thank god it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes sense since they dont even have it in stock here. Probably waiting for it to be imported i guess. Santa Fe is completely imported here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just to update. It took 5 weeks but they put in a new half-engine in it and everything worked fine.

Just yest while driving the car lost power and if i accelerate it gets jumpy. The check engine light is blinking. After reading i am guessing it could be related to EGR. Will get it checked tomorrow.

Edit: When the new engine came i asked what it would have cost me if it wasn't under warranty. He showed me it would have cost me atleast Rs. 230,000 or around $3764 just for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts