Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Santa Fe is only 2 month old and has 2000km now the check engine light is on. Went to the dealer and found out the code is P200A -Intake manifold runner performance. And they just clear the code. What does this code mean? Anything serious? A little bit disappointed.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Anything serious?
Only a problem if the code returns. Odds are either for an intermittent connection or a mechanical issue with the VCMA. Are you prepared for TMI?

Variable Charge Motion Actuator(VCMA) is used for an adjustment of automotive flap and it is operated with two position, open and close. It makes swirl among intake air to reduce emission under cold start condition. This is worm gear driver type which doesn't guarantee restoring to limp home position in the case of loss of current supply. (This doesn't have mechanical return force due to no return spring.)

If the VCM position sensor presents less than 50% when the commended position is open, or greater than 50% when the commended position is close, or If initial position learning value of VCMA is out of specified range by carbon or foreign object in intake manifold, ECM determines that a fault exists and a DTC is stored.

Causes:

• VCMA stuck by carbon or foreign objects in intake manifold
• Faulty VCMA

Solutions:

▶ Check for poor connection between PCM and component: backed out terminal, improper mating, broken locks or poor terminal to wire connection.
Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

▶ Disassemble VCMA and Intake Manifold and check stuck by carbon or foreign object.
Check the component for contamination, deterioration, or damage. Substitute with a known-good component and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected, replace the component and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (brite @ May 10 2010, 12:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321483
Thanks for the answer although I don't quite understand all the mechanical details.

And what's TMI?
Too Much Information :grin:

As the notes about the device explain, the VCMA is supposed to help during cold starts. Exactly how disturbing the air flow is supposed to improve emissions under those conditions, I'm not sure.

That said, it's a little motor driven damper that is supposed to have only two operating positions - open and closed. There are sensors employed to detect whether the motor was successful in driving the damper into the correct position. If, after the signal to the motor to move the damper in either direction, the sensors don't see it in the right position, the error code that you received is thrown. There are a number of electrical and a couple of mechanical parts involved, and a failure (even momentary) of any of these would get you the P200A. Could be a new worm gear on the motor being a little sticky, could be an intermittent connection. In any case, it isn't going to strand you on the side of the road or anything, so I'd not get overly concerned about it unless it repeats... if for no other reason than you never know what that Check Engine light is trying to tell you -- could be something more important next time, and crying wolf and all that...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Check Engine Light is ON and OFF again. My Santa Fe now has 10500 km. Will go to dealer to have a check. Just annoying.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eventually they replaced the runner when it happened the fourth time.

I feel like it's hard to get them do repair under warranty.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (brite @ Apr 6 2011, 11:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=426614
Eventually they replaced the runner when it happened the fourth time.

I feel like it's hard to get them do repair under warranty.
Two possibilities:
1) bad dealership
2) they can't pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. Which is likely the cause if the problem is intermittent. Hard to reproduce to get to the actual cause and therefore, they try one thing and see how it goes, if it comes back, they try something else. This is particulary true when you are the first (or so)person to encounter the problem. Once many people get the problem, they go right to the final solution that was discovered thanks to the help from the first cases.

Just be glad you didn't have to pay with money, just time.

BTW, had a similar situation with code p5007. Never had an issue with the dealership or warranty, just took a few tries to pin it down. So far so good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this thread is two and a half years old, but I've had my vehicle in trying to fix this same problem and they can't seem to figure out the issue. They've replaced the VCMA itself 4 times now and I'm still getting errors. This latest time they also replaced the battery saying the issue was that upon start up, the battery wasn't sending enough juice to the engine to power up and the VCMA was overworking itself and burning itself out to compensate.

I'm hearing a clicking noise upon startup and the engine also seems to be revving louder than normal between 40 and 50 mph. Anyone have any possible suggestions?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Have they taken time to test any of the VCMA units that they have removed? One wonders if any of them were really bad. Sticking a meter across the motor coils and checking for about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 ohms there, and sticking a meter across the position sensor and checking for about 3-1/2K to 5K ohms there at least gives an idea if there's a dead component.

There is a TSB for this specific problem, but as far as I know, it is limited ONLY to 2.4L 2011 production. Hyundai was requiring the flash of new ECM firmware because they were seeing false positives for the P200A code. No harm in asking - but have your dealer check "Service Campaign JF6" in their records to see if there is any chance at all that it may apply to your 2010.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been getting the CEL for several months now. It will also disappear on its own so I haven't brought it to the dealer yet. I got a cheap OBD scanner for my smartphone and learned yesterday that I have the P200A error code. This is on a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe.

The problem didn't start until the temps got to below freezing. We had below freezing temps for days on end. The first thing I did was open the gas tank. The smell of gas fumes seemed stronger than normal. When I restarted the car, the light went away, but then was back a couple of days later.

The gas got to below 1/4 tank so I filled up. The light went away even with freezing temps.

When the gas got below 1/2 tank and it was really cold out, the light would come back on. Filling the gas would get the light to go off again.

Last week the temps rose to near 70deg and the gas was below 1/2. No light. But then the next day temps were hovering around freezing and the light was back on and has stayed on until today (still cold outside). I will fill the gas up and see if the light goes out.

When the light is on, I notice the engine seems to rev higher than normal at the same speeds compared to when the light is off.

At my last oil change, the dealer suggested I replace my battery because the cold cranking amps were low. I haven't done that yet.

So it seems error P200A is more than just a software/reprogramming issue. There is something physically happening with the car to trigger the error.

From what I described, do you think it's that "VCMA" described in other posts?

Thank you,
Paul

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yes, entirely possible, though not sure why the tank fill is related. This P200A is starting to show up on the odd Sonata here as well. As you're possibly still within warranty, I'd have the dealer look at both the TSB for a code update as mentioned earlier, even though it was originally for 2011 2.4 units only, and perform a visual and impedance inspection of the VCMA.

Unless you can really sense that your starter is turning more slowly than normal, I'd discount the battery issue for the moment (but keep it in your back pocket). Any harm to the VCMA would require a LOT of cranking during starting, and I don't hear that you're having any problem of that sort.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Variable Charge Motion Actuator(VCMA) is used for an adjustment of automotive flap and it is operated with two position, open and close. It makes swirl among intake air to reduce emission under cold start condition. This is worm gear driver type which doesn't guarantee restoring to limp home position in the case of loss of current supply. (This doesn't have mechanical return force due to no return spring.)

If the VCM position sensor presents less than 50% when the commended position is open, or greater than 50% when the commended position is close, or If initial position learning value of VCMA is out of specified range by carbon or foreign object in intake manifold, ECM determines that a fault exists and a DTC is stored..
Fixed.

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and the P200A code was legit. The service report says the actuator in the intake manifold would not close. They replaced the intake manifold as well as the gasket--under warranty. Took about 6 hours from dropoff at appt time to being called that the problem was fixed.

They didn't say what could have caused it or show me the replaced parts but hopefully I won't be back any time soon.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same fault codes on my 2010 Santa Fe V6 in Nov. 2013. I would hear a clicking type sound intermittently on cold starts which goes away after awhile. Then the engine light would eventually come on.

The dealership replaced the intake manifold and the car was fine for a few weeks. The CEL came back on and I would hear the same sound on cold starts. I took it back in and the dealer replaced the VCMA. The sound and CEL came back 2 days later and it happend 2-3 times a week.

When they replaced the VCMA they said I need to replace the battery because it was weak (nothing to do with the CEL). The battery on my previous car lasted 7 years so I thought it was premature. Anyways, I had the battery replaced a month ago and the sound and CEL has not reappeared.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, that was short lived. Came back on when I left work. Now it's breaking all the rules. Tank is at least at 80% and outdoor temp is 60deg. Sucks that I have to go back in but at least this should be on their dime.

I probably should get a new battery anyway but I guess they didn't check that when they replaced the manifold.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The light was on this morning when I ran an errand. Then when I went to take it to the dealer at 10am, it went off. Anyway, I left it with them for the day and when it was ready for pickup, they said they changed the actuator and updated the ECM--but that wasn't related to the CEL.

I told them I thought they changed out the original actuator--which they said wouldn't close--when I brought it in the first time when they changed the manifold. He stuttered and said when they put on the new manifold, the actuator worked so they didn't change it. I don't know much about cars, but that just sounds stupid.

Anyway, let's see how long this bandaid lasts.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Even if the CEL went off, the code would have been retained. What did they find this time for code(s)? Same P200A? Anything else?

·
Registered
162 Posts
P200a ?

Just took my 2011 limited V6 to the dealer for this code. They said there was a software update for the AWD that will fix it, as there was another code when they scanned the system....We'll see because like others on the forum this light only came on when it was really cold outside. Has happened 3 times this winter, and per the discussions on this forum I just erased it, except for this last time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2010 Santa Fe with the 2.4 throwing a p200a message. Took it apart and the coupling between the Vcma is broke. Dealer quoted me $27 for the Vcma so thinking of changing that along with the coupling just to be sure. Shaft seems to turn freely. I read somewhere replacing the Vcma you have to "relearn" the ecm if you replace the valve. Is this true or can I just replace the parts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Santa Fe CEL on

A few weeks ago had the VCMA replaced. The warranty had just expired so I took it to a reliable garage where I had other minor engine repairs done. The last few weeks the CEL would come on for a day or so and then go off. This happens intermittently. Took the Santa Fe back in to the repair shop and now they say there must be carbon in the manifold and want another $800-$900 to repair. I would think they should have cleaned out the carbon etc. the first time they had the intake manifold off. I also was told by another mechanic that there is an EPA regulation that requires the dealer to fix this problem. Does anyone know the details about this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts