Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first real test drive of the Santa Fe other then a few miles at the dealership. The wife has had it for two weeks and put about 1200 miles on it. Anyway we drove about 200 miles in various dreary conditions. Rain,heavy fog,and decreased lighting due to dark cloud cover. It seems to me the auto headlight sensitivity is adjusted for very low light conditions before they come on. This is compared to other vehicles I drive with auto headlights. It's a real pain to turn the headlights on manually because you need them for safety and then forget to turn them off at a stop.Is there a adjustment for the sensitivity of the low light sensor?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I understand that agreeing on an appropriate level is pretty subjective, but on my '08, I find that the lights come on a fair bit earlier than I'd turn them on if I were doing it myself. If your feeling is that it really is darker than is safe, I'd take it back to the dealer and discuss it.

There are some known specs, but no adjustment, for when this system should activate, and any camera buff should be able to produce a light meter that can be placed near the sensor to prove the point one way or another. If you're not familiar with the term, "lux" indicates a light level.

Head lamp
ON : 6 ± 1.4 (Lux), 0.63 ± 0.06 (V)
OFF : 12 ± 2.7 (Lux), 1.02 ± 0.06 (V)

There's a 12 second delay built in as well, so they turn on 12 sec after the light hits 6 lux, and off 12 seconds after the light increases to 12 lux. Keeps them from blinking on and off at the margins.

The dash sensor is about the only variable. It unplugs after just removing 1 screw. Easy enough to compare to another one.

Edit: one last idea, although it's probably not going to win any "recommended" lists, but would most assuredly work. If you can find some flexible optical material (one could imagine all kinds of things) with a fairly high transmission rate, but enough to attenuate things just a bit, and slide it over the sensor to darken it just a LITTLE bit, you'll find your lights turning on sooner. Better than my problem, where it would just make it worse!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts