Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2010 Santa Fe 3.5L V6 with about 92,000 miles on it. I've been wanting to change the ATF fluid but I'm not sure if it has ever been serviced before.

I've read contradicting info online on whether it's safe to drill & fill the ATF fluid. Any suggestions?

The tranny sometimes has a slight bump shifting into/out of 2nd gear. Besides that it's fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2010 SF and I have had partial fluid changes done at the dealership. It is not necessary to drill anything as there is a drain plug and you can replace the fluid thru the level check hole.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You should do a transmission service if you have any doubt that it has never been done. I drain and refill my 07 every spring. If you do it yourself, there is a drain plug on the pan of the tranny. It will take about 4.5 quarts or so to replace what you drain out. If it is very dark, you may want to do it again in a week or two.

Of course you could have the transmission fluid completely replaced by a dealer or transmission shop. Do Not get a power flush, as there have been reports of problems afterward as this can loosen small particles that will clog fine passageways.

I use Valvoline Max Life in the red jug. It meets Hyundai spec, is synthetic and can sometime improve shifting. It greatly reduced downshift bumping in my Santa Fe that was present since it was brand new. I use it in 4 vehicles that I own and it is great stuff. There have been many positive reviews of this product and I always recommend it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you got the 6 speed Electronic AT, fluid changes every 100.000 km (not miles).
It`s sealed.

The previos version (5AT) changed every 50.000 KM or so.
Greetings.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If you got the 6 speed Electronic AT, fluid changes every 100.000 km (not miles).
It`s sealed.

The previous version (5AT) changed every 50.000 KM or so.
Greetings.
The 6-speed isn't "sealed" as it has a drain plug and a level/fill plug - it simply has no dipstick. The recommended change interval will depend on the country sold in and the normal-severe conditions which are also variable by country - the UK change interval is 160,000 miles, yes really !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'm going out to buy the SP-IV fluid it uses, how much should I buy? If I understand correctly when I drain it not all of it will come out.

If I can't find Hyundai SP-IV are there any suitable replacements?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ok, I'm going out to buy the SP-IV fluid it uses, how much should I buy? If I understand correctly when I drain it not all of it will come out.

If I can't find Hyundai SP-IV are there any suitable replacements?
I think that SP IV has been superseded by something new at Hyundai. At any rate I would use valvoline max life as was mentioned above. Lots of the Sonata guys with the same transmission have been using it and it seems to be fine. Something like $20 / gallon instead of $20 / quart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that SP IV has been superseded by something new at Hyundai. At any rate I would use valvoline max life as was mentioned above. Lots of the Sonata guys with the same transmission have been using it and it seems to be fine. Something like $20 / gallon instead of $20 / quart.
I see that Max Life is compatible with SP III, not SP IV. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF is compatible with Hyundai/Kia SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

That's what is! SP-IV has been superseded by SPH-IV. Either way yes, maxlife is supposed to meet that standard. And also the guys with the 2010+sonatas have the same transmission and have been using this fluid without trouble. I fully intend to use this fluid since it is roughly 1/4 as costly as Hyundai fluid. But, your car your choice.

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Would you guys suggest doing this if I am at 76k and the dealer is saying my fluid is getting "dirty"? I do have extended warrenty, would I have to have a dealership do it or is it just keeping up with regular maintaince.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I found this image fron the hyundai service website, but I can't figure out where it is...

The part above and to the right is your transmission range sensor. It is connected to the cable coming from your shifter. Usually is on top of the valve body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2009 Santa Fe 3.3L AWD has 52K miles and the local dealer is recommending my ATF fluid be changed. The car's been driven normally - am I wrong in thinking that's a bit early?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My 2009 Santa Fe 3.3L AWD has 52K miles and the local dealer is recommending my ATF fluid be changed. The car's been driven normally - am I wrong in thinking that's a bit early?
It's not a bad idea if you intend to keep the car beyond the warranty period.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts