Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2010 Elantra. I noticed in some belt diagrams, a power steering pump is shown. Now Im almost positive, my car has electronic power steering on the column, and there def. is not a p/s pump under the hood.

There is however what appear to be mount locations on the engine. Thats what Im interested in. I would like to install a second alternator in this location. There should be space and with some metal work a bracket could be installed using those mounting points. I THINK.

The belt diagram Ive seen a few times, looks like this. Its much the same as mine except obviously there is a p/s pump, which I would like to put an alternator there.

This is the same engine as mine. Ive circled the mounting points in red.
The 2nd alt would go right above the original location.

If anyone could direct me a p/s unit that i could canabalize or the bracket itself.. from which ever car the pump DOES in fact come on, or any feedback at all relative to what Im trying to accomplish--

I really appreciate it, Thanks.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Out of curiosity why would you want or need a second alternator?
yeah....this is all kinds of wrong.

i can't think of a single reason to want to do this...maybe bigger alternator to handle higher load, but what kind of super powered stereo would you need to do that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welll... when you want to supply the car with 12v, stereo with 19.2 (charging) = 16v audio. This is the most reliable way. You can use step up or down modules, but if they fail.. something isnt getting power, or worse. By running two or more alternators, you can isolate the cars electrical system pretty much entirely.

One alt charges 14.4 to the car. Thats done.

The other charge 19.2 or there about to 16v audio batteries in the rear. The amps run ONLY on the 16v bank.

Its fairly common actually in car stereo competition style setups.. as many as 4 300a+ plus alternators.. typically in trucks and the like yes, but some of use who have sedans like to compete too.

Not much fits in the stock location..the stock housing can be built up to around 200a..or so.

If I were to be able mount a 2nd alt here, any casing could be used as im making my own bracket provided itd line up with belt etc. GM DR44 cases or AD244 just big freakin alts.

It takes power to make power, and it starts with the alt. I could put 3000 batteries in my trunk and it would only help so much especially as they wouldnt charge and crush a stock alt in 4 sec.

Plus 16v means less current to make power, less strain on the amps. To add to the fact that the higher the voltage, the higher the current output of an alt as well..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

its in a tahoe, so hes got room. But a measilly 200a isnt going to cut it for me. a true 2k rms amp will pull ~200a. Thats run of the mill. Id like to run 7k min. thats a 700a load or more at lower impedences for burps easilly. The voltage drop with a 200a alt would be rediculous. Even with 5-6 80lb batteries youd max out the alt straight into battery reserve is seconds.. = not ideal. It needs to survive 3 30 sec full tilt runs back to back to back.

its a hobby.(to say the least)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts