Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. My sonata is overheating . I turned the AC on to make sure the fan relay was working and the fan worked . So I then I hooked the fan up directly so it would run all the time but it still overheated. I've changed the temp coolant sensor and I put a thermostat in . I thought that thermostat may have been bad so I went and got another. I checked this one on the stove with water and it worked just fine.While I had the thermostat out i flushed the system 3 times letting it run for 10 min each time and it didn't overheat then . So I put the new thermostat in with the jiggle pin at the top, but it's still overheating. I have heat coming through the heater core and heat in the car . Water pump doesn't squeal and I have no leaks.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
There are usually 2 temp sensors (if memory serves) one for the gauge and one for the ECM...possibly you changed the one for the ECM. Do you know it's actually over-heating/boiling-over?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No signs of it boiling over the temperature gauge just shoots way up showing it's hot. The electric fan doesn't kick on when it does that either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't find another sensor . Would you know the process ? I also forgot to mention that the top hose gets hot but the bottom hose is barely warm .

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I also forgot to mention that the top hose gets hot but the bottom hose is barely warm .
That can be good or bad. Good means it's getting rid of a lot of heat. That will not lead to over heating, just the opposite. Bad is it's full of sludge and flow is bad. This will lead to over heating.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I couldn't find another sensor . Would you know the process ? I also forgot to mention that the top hose gets hot but the bottom hose is barely warm .
The coolant leaves the engine out the top and back into the engine from bottom so if the radiator is working it should be hotter on top and cooler on bottom. can you feel the raditor and tell if it is going from hot to cooler equally as it cross the core?
You could have a clogged core even though you have flushed it and need a new radiator. Have you checked the oil to see if it has coolant in oil from a head gasket, cracked head etc? Or checked for exhaust in the coolant?
If the water pump is working , thermostat is opening, fans are turing on and the radiator is clear there is nothing else to make it over heat.
You can also drop a thermometer in the radiator while idling and see if it really is hot or is your temp gauge off. Does it boil over and loose coolant?

Theseare all generic things to check on an engine. But if you want to get input from people that have your model you are in the wrong sub forum if you have a 2010 this is the YF forum with the Theta II engines try also posting in the NF forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have no coolant in the oil and I have no coolant in the exhaust . No it doesn't boil over the temp gauge just reads that it's hot.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
id check the temp with a thermometer, you guage may not be accurate and you dont have a problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts