Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First post here: I've been fighting with my daughters 2010 4 cyl Sonata off and on for the past several months.
The check engine light randomly comes on, and then goes off before she can get it to me to see what the codes are. Then it did stay on long enough for me to pull the P0605 code, but then went right back to normal.
Lately though, if it it turned off, and you try and restart it warm, it fires, runs 5 seconds and then dies. This may happen 2 times or 30 times, and it happens very intermitantly...It will happen to her, but when we swap cars for 2 weeks, it never happens to me.
I've had codes pulled and the same two have shown up P0605 AND P2105.
In reading here and looking at the TSB for this vehicle, it does sound like it needs a new PCM. Here's my confusion...it seems like some folks on here have swapped them out and not had them reprogrammed, and they work fine. In other cases, it wouldn't run without reprogramming. Any thoughts here? Anything to try? I assume there are folks online that could reprogram a PCM to a specific VIN? Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may be able to send your existing ECU out for repair and not have to reprogram it. This seems to be a common failure for this ECU so the repair places should know exactly which part it is that causes it. Usually it is something simple like a capacitor or solder joints that cause the problem and it can be repaired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!! I think I was using PCM as the same term for ECU. Any suggestions on who to send it to?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you search on "hyundai ecm repair" (I think ECM is the acronym that Hyundai uses) several businesses pop up. I've never dealt with any. There are also videos of people repairing control modules on youtube if you have any ability along those lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts