Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, long time reader haha anyway I currently own a 2010 Hyundai Accent SE which is honestly the greatest car ive owned thus far, i use to own a 2008 dodge charger 3.5L high output and traded it in for the 2010 Hyundai Accent SE. As i have been driving the Accent for about a month now, I started comparing it to the charger, and ill tell you what, the pick up on the accent (manual trans) is by far so much better than the charger. The charger was a dog even with the mods i had put on it, i am so much happier with my accent then the charger, which people look at me like i was kind of stupid when i traded it, but best move i ever made. Anyway what this thread comes down to is the Accent is a little I4 with 110hp, but with the right mods and tuning this car could be something to recon with, which most of you obviosuly know already, Anyway just wanted to share some thought on the accent, and i work at a Hyundai dealership in sales, so if you guys are looking for anything needed by the dealership let me know and i can find out what you need or how much something may cost, just so i can save you a little time by going to the dealership, and not have to talk to all those people and just find out what you need!! BTW you guys have great insight on these cars and really help me out with sales!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Glad we can help. The Accent is a great car with, unfortunately, little aftermarket support. Which is IMO kind of odd considering Hyundai sold a boatload of Accents to young people willing to tinker with their ride. Hyundai engines are also known to be pretty strong at the expense of refinement one might say. Still, if you compare the Accent to other subcompacts, it's much better (it's pretty subjective though)

The Yaris, well it's a toyota, need I say more? Vague, disconnected steering. I like the small size but the center gauges and tin can feel are too much for me.
The Aveo/G3 Wave/Swift, my mother in law has one, base model manual. It's gutless and handles like a boat.
The Fit is actually pretty **** good but I personally hate the mini-minivan styling
The Versa is the best selling subcompact in america. Not for its handling, looks or price but because it's much larger than the competition. I hate the styling too and the next gen isn't looking good either.
The Mazda2 is getting high praise on internet forums for being simple and fun. I guess these people haven't driven any subcompact in a while. I could not live with a car that has a smile on its face 24/7
The Fiesta is the Mazda2's big brother. It's bloated and the hatchback costs 4k more than the sedan. Good work Ford...

Now the Accent isn't perfect either. The interior, while it looks good and has nice ergonomics is built from what seems to be the cheapest plastic ever. It scratches just by looking at it. Can't complain about the exterior though. Tight fitting panels, sturdy doors that don't feel like they're going to fall off when you shut them, clean hatch design that doesn't look like a mini-minivan.

Am I biaised? Yes and no since I own one. I also work in a bodyshop and I can tell you, Hyundai/Kia cars are VERY well built. They didn't cheap out on fasteners, screws and bolts to build their cars. Removing the front bumper and it's grilles on a HKAG car is an effort in patience. Not because it's a PITA but because there are lots of clips and screws holding everything together. Where other cars use 4-5 clips and a few screws, Hyundai used 10+ clips and a boatload of screws.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Also, it should be noted that the fit and finish of the interior dash in the Accent is better than that of newer BMWs and Mercedes. Now, before you get all fiesty and start dismissing what I'm saying... I'm a valet at a 5 star hotel. The nicest hotel in Philly. Trust me, I've driven many many many luxury cars, and there is nothing more annoying than tossing a piece of paper onto the dash and having it fly down between the windshield and the dashboard. Like completely disappear never to be seen again. At least the Accent's is flush to the windshield. Also, though the interior materials are nicer in the aforementioned cars, that gap has got to be the biggest oversight in the interior, especially considering luxury cars are more likely to be valeted than say, a Hyundai Accent. Shame on you Mercedes and BMW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah working at a Hyundai Dealership, i have seen some crazy things, people have been trading in there BMW's Mercedes, Audi's, and Lexus's for Sonata's and Genesis's, now i know this bit off topic when were talking about the Accent, but to me it shows how far Hyundai has come with all of there cars to be considered better options than those luxury brands. Now back to the Accent i love that car man its such a fun little car to cruis around in and i have drove some others in its class such as the Yaris, Aveo, Fit, and Fiesta (we also have a ford store so i got test drive one) the othere got in on a trade, but none of these cars even compared to the Accent, they run like schit and sound like it when driving them, and to me they are just plain ugly, needless to say unbiased opinion well maybe slightly biased :whistling: but the accent is the best in its class, and when the 2012 comes out, which trust me boys, ive seen it first hand.....its going to blow the competition out of the water, look for the accent in 2012 to be one of the hottest selling vehicles!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (clthomas8989 @ Nov 9 2010, 11:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370179
but the accent is the best in its class, and when the 2012 comes out, which trust me boys, ive seen it first hand.....its going to blow the competition out of the water, look for the accent in 2012 to be one of the hottest selling vehicles!!!!
I'm pretty excited to see it in person as well. I think Hyundai did a great job on the new Accent and Elantra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have driven Tito Jackson's 02' 360 Modena and have to say that the sound system in my accent is much better, as is the steering response. I love my car! A little tuning and i may pull on him too!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love my accent SE. Come to think of it, although the aftermarket support for the newer accents is weak in the US, I can't think of many other car companies that personally entered into deals with AEM and DC Sports the way Hyundai did.

The only problem is that they could have (and still can) given people the option to upgrade to 4 wheel disc. They could easily do this. They still make the parts for the GLS and the earlier 2007 Accent SE. But they don't, so people can't play around with performance brake pads.

That and the current state of Automotive Journalism seems to take perverse pleasure in ignoring the SE model. They don't list it in comparos or just give it a single sentence while talking about how they didn't like the base model. I just read a copy of Motor Trend where they called the accent a "Boring" car right after talking about the suspension rigidity of the SE model. Really depressing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 8 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370004
The Yaris, well it's a toyota, need I say more? Vague, disconnected steering. I like the small size but the center gauges and tin can feel are too much for me.
The Aveo/G3 Wave/Swift, my mother in law has one, base model manual. It's gutless and handles like a boat.
The Fit is actually pretty **** good but I personally hate the mini-minivan styling
The Versa is the best selling subcompact in america. Not for its handling, looks or price but because it's much larger than the competition. I hate the styling too and the next gen isn't looking good either.
The Mazda2 is getting high praise on internet forums for being simple and fun. I guess these people haven't driven any subcompact in a while. I could not live with a car that has a smile on its face 24/7
The Fiesta is the Mazda2's big brother. It's bloated and the hatchback costs 4k more than the sedan. Good work Ford...
Forgot the new Subaru WRX Impreza hatchback. LOOOVVVEEE it.   Although, I would still probably not trade my Accent for it... Well... maybe if it was the STI.

·
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm partial to the 2003 WRX. It was the last model year before the changeover and they fixed the faulty gearing from the earlier ones. Plus, it always looked lower key than the ones that followed it IMO. I could see myself buying one some day and messing with the hoods and bumpers to make it look like an RS model.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ok, I'm so glad I found this forum! I've been on Edmund's Accent forum talking to myself for the past month! I was wondering where all the owners were. Anyway, I got some questions for clthomas8989.

I ended up with the GS model with premium package. I wanted the SE but couldn't swing the payment and besides there were no 2010 models left in my area and I needed a car pronto since my previous one was stolen. Well, I'd like to upgrade my GS over time with the SE's suspension. What I'd like to know is if the SE's larger front anti roll bar is a simple bolt on upgrade...meaning, what would I need to buy from a dealer to do this? I assume the bushings holding it to the frame are different from the GS but what about the end links? Are they different parts or can I reuse them? How much would it cost to do this upgrade?

Also, could you find out if both the shocks and the springs in the rear differ between the GS and SE? It's possible Hyundai simply installed firmer shocks and left the springs alone, but I doubt I'll be that lucky.

One more thing, has anyone looked into replacing the rear drums with the discs from the 06-07 models? Extremely involved or a bolt on upgrade?

Overall, I'm quite impressed with how well the GS handles with its skinny high profile 14 inchers. I can only imagine how good the SE is! I'm hoping to find out as I upgrade the suspension over time. Does the SE ride substantially harder than the GS though? That's my only concern. Thanks to all for any forthcoming insight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (carfreak09 @ Nov 15 2010, 03:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371713
Ok, I'm so glad I found this forum! I've been on Edmund's Accent forum talking to myself for the past month! I was wondering where all the owners were. Anyway, I got some questions for clthomas8989.

I ended up with the GS model with premium package. I wanted the SE but couldn't swing the payment and besides there were no 2010 models left in my area and I needed a car pronto since my previous one was stolen. Well, I'd like to upgrade my GS over time with the SE's suspension. What I'd like to know is if the SE's larger front anti roll bar is a simple bolt on upgrade...meaning, what would I need to buy from a dealer to do this? I assume the bushings holding it to the frame are different from the GS but what about the end links? Are they different parts or can I reuse them? How much would it cost to do this upgrade?

Also, could you find out if both the shocks and the springs in the rear differ between the GS and SE? It's possible Hyundai simply installed firmer shocks and left the springs alone, but I doubt I'll be that lucky.

One more thing, has anyone looked into replacing the rear drums with the discs from the 06-07 models? Extremely involved or a bolt on upgrade?

Overall, I'm quite impressed with how well the GS handles with its skinny high profile 14 inchers. I can only imagine how good the SE is! I'm hoping to find out as I upgrade the suspension over time. Does the SE ride substantially harder than the GS though? That's my only concern. Thanks to all for any forthcoming insight.
Unfortunately, you'd probably end up spending much more than it would have cost to buy the SE model in the first place. You would have to buy springs, shocks, struts, stabilizer bar, short shifter, and complete steering rack swap (in new parts prices unless you can find a donor car) to equal the SE model and that's probably even without labor for the steering rack or some of the other niceties like the leather steering wheel.

On the other hand...you could probably do the stabilizer bar and get some KDM suspension and short shifter and it would still be pretty good. As for the brakes, there are some threads already up for that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is some part numbers to help:

SE Sway Bar: 54801-1G100 (including bushings)
SE Steering Rack: 57700-1E050
SE Struts Front: 54660-1E150, 54650-1E150
SE Spring Front: 54630-1G220
SE Shock Rear: 55310-1E150
SE Springs Rear: 55330-1E000

·
Registered
515 Posts
QUOTE (AccentSE_44 @ Nov 15 2010, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371972
Unfortunately, you'd probably end up spending much more than it would have cost to buy the SE model in the first place. You would have to buy springs, shocks, struts, stabilizer bar, short shifter, and complete steering rack swap (in new parts prices unless you can find a donor car) to equal the SE model and that's probably even without labor for the steering rack or some of the other niceties like the leather steering wheel.

On the other hand...you could probably do the stabilizer bar and get some KDM suspension and short shifter and it would still be pretty good. As for the brakes, there are some threads already up for that.
Thanks for the insight. I know I know, trust me I wanted the SE. Unfortunately, it just wasn't in the cards as my payment had to be in a certain range. The steering feels fine to me so I'm not worried about messing with that. Does the steering really feel much different? I don't need the short shifter either as I have the automatic. As for the leather steering wheel, that's been taken care of already. In fact, I one upped the SE there. I hand sewed a 2 tone perforated gray/charcoal Wheelskin leather cover on my wheel to match the 2 tone gray interior. It looks great, smells great, and feels so much better in my hand. I highly recommend this upgrade for Blue and GS owners.

Do you or anyone else happen to know the actual percentage difference in stiffness between the regular and sport suspension? Usually car mags will say that the springs are 20% stiffer and the shocks 30% stiffer, but since no one pays attention to the SE, I can't seem to find just how different the sport suspension really is. If it's substantially firmer, I'll leave it alone and just upgrade to the SE's 16" alloys (I love how they look). How is the ride? Does it crash over bumps? I used to own an 03 Tiburon GT V6 with the 16" wheels and that thing rode fine on the highway but in the city it was too stiff and abrupt. Thank God I had the 16" wheels as the 17" would have jarred me to death. I drive mainly in the city and over some nasty roads multiple times a day so I don't want a suspension that will ride like my Tib did or something that will cause new rattles to appear daily. I've read the SE is actually quite refined for a Hyundai sport suspension and rides almost as good as the GS, but I'd like to hear from owners here.

·
Registered
515 Posts
QUOTE (berserko @ Nov 15 2010, 07:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371996
Here is some part numbers to help:

SE Sway Bar: 54801-1G100 (including bushings)
SE Steering Rack: 57700-1E050
SE Struts Front: 54660-1E150, 54650-1E150
SE Spring Front: 54630-1G220
SE Shock Rear: 55310-1E150
SE Springs Rear: 55330-1E000
Thanks for supplying the part numbers! That was very helpful as it shows the springs are different. I wonder what the prices run though.....

I forgot one more question....Is there anyway to add the SE's fog lamps?? I asked the dealer and he quickly said no it's not possible. I noticed sharkracing.com sells an OEM kit for the 2011 Sonata. Maybe such a kit exists for the Accent??

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (carfreak09 @ Nov 16 2010, 01:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372085
Thanks for supplying the part numbers! That was very helpful as it shows the springs are different. I wonder what the prices run though.....

I forgot one more question....Is there anyway to add the SE's fog lamps?? I asked the dealer and he quickly said no it's not possible. I noticed sharkracing.com sells an OEM kit for the 2011 Sonata. Maybe such a kit exists for the Accent??
According to www.hyundaiparts4less.com

SE Sway Bar: 54801-1G100 (including bushings) $113.55
SE Steering Rack: 57700-1E050 $401.91
SE Struts Front: 54660-1E150, 54650-1E150 $98.98, $93.24
SE Spring Front: 54630-1G220 $44.07
SE Shock Rear: 55310-1E150 $72.45
SE Springs Rear: 55330-1E000 $62.70

Yes you can add foglights to your accent I did as well as others you have to make the harness because there doesn't seem to be one available from hyundai. (at least a know p/n)

You'll need the following:

Moulding w/ Fog light holes: 86522-1E010 $39.78
Foglight Left: 92201-1E000 $58.09
Foglight Right: 92202-1E000 $58.09
Foglight Switch: 93740-1E000WK $13.73

For a harness you could get something premade from ebay like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-H1-H3-H...sQ5fAccessories

Much less hacking then just need to hook your +/- then a switched source of +12v and your done.

The fog lights are alot easier of you pull your entire front bumper can install the moulding and lights in under 30 mins like that.

HTH

1 - 20 of 37 Posts