Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights low beam cannot turn on. The high beam cannot turn on either, but it can flash by pulling the switch. Then I found out the headlight fuse was blown out. I replaced with a new one and switch on headlight, but it burns fuse again. What could be the problem? Thank you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Check grounding at the front driver side, there are 2 groundings on the body frame, one on each side, under the headlight

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. What does grounding look like? Do I need to take off the headlights to see the grounding?

Check grounding at the front driver side, there are 2 groundings on the body frame, one on each side, under the headlight

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thank you for the reply. What does grounding look like? Do I need to take off the headlights to see the grounding?
The negative battery cable is one example of grounding. It looks like piece of metal strip that tighten on the metal part.

pic #2 shows the groundings location for lights, one on each side of frame

Attachments

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
If it's blowing fuses it's not the factory ground, that would prevent them from coming on at all. Somewhere the wire is shorting to ground though and blowing the fuse.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,269 Posts
I found out the headlight fuse was blown out. I replaced with a new one and switch on headlight, but it burns fuse again.
What fuse was blown?

If it was the fuse for the LO beam headlamps, that shouldn't stop the high beam from working. The HI beam only working in the flash position suggests there is a problem with the ground back at the switch which I think comes from the BCM on your car, not a bolt into the chassis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the help. I found the problem. One of the low beam bulb burned out. Instead of an open circuit, this caused a short circuit which burns the fuse. Everything came back to normal after replacing the bulb. Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
It's blowing fuses. Think about this.....does a bad ground cause more current flow? It can cause no lights because it can stop current flow. If by chance the 12 volt wire found it's way to the ground that would blow the fuse. Perhaps that is what you meant.
I'm trying my more civil approach to teaching. :smile:

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Thank you everyone for the help. I found the problem. One of the low beam bulb burned out. Instead of an open circuit, this caused a short circuit which burns the fuse. Everything came back to normal after replacing the bulb. Thanks again.
Very good. The element in the bulb shorted to itself. reducing the resistance of the bulb and drawing more current and ZAP.....there goes the fuse.
You have done real good for someone who had to ask what the ground looked like. You are a quick study. Did you research this yourself or did someone help you? No harm no foul. Either way you did well. Have you any experience in working on electrical or automotive in general. @AUTOSPARK......what's the matter with me? My OCD is getting worse. :surprise:

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's blowing fuses. Think about this.....does a bad ground cause more current flow? It can cause no lights because it can stop current flow. If by chance the 12 volt wire found it's way to the ground that would blow the fuse. Perhaps that is what you meant.
I'm trying my more civil approach to teaching. :smile:

OK sorry I didn't read this carefully. I thought he already put a brand new bulb in, so the wire is the next thing to check

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
OK sorry I didn't read this carefully. I thought he already put a brand new bulb in, so the wire is the next thing to check
Let's try this again....I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I've done to much of that and I'm sorry. Let's say he put in a new bulb and it still blows the fuse. Is looking at the ground a good approach to finding the problem? What would be the reasoning for this? Think about the fuse and what causes them to blow and then think about my earlier response about possibly the B+ wire shorting to ground. Is looking at the ground the best place to look for the problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts