Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I just bought a 2010 Santa FE GLS AWD. It does not have a hitch. Is there any wiring in place, or am I going to have to splice wire in somewhere if I want to tow with it? Also, what can be towed with it? I am mainly looking at small pop up tent trailers. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
:00000732:

You will need to buy a wiring harness along with a hitch, receiver and ball. Hyundai dealers sell a "plug and play" harness that connects under the bumper, although some dealers (including mine) supply one that splices into the wiring inside the trunk. There are many aftermarket suppliers too.

You will also need a brake controller if using trailer brakes, which Hyundai recommends when towing over 1650 pounds (2008 3.3 V6 model... check your manual). I exceed this weight slightly with my 10-foot Palomino, and it poses no problem if you drive sensibly. But if you have a larger camper (say a 12-footer) I would definitely go with trailer brakes, in which case you're probably rated for up to 3500 pounds with the V6.

Enjoy your ride,

Don

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the new 4 cylinder, so I was wondering what it would be safe to tow, assuming i installed a transmission cooler and trailer brakes. So the dealer has a harness that will just plug in at the rear of the vehicle. That is good to know.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Check your manual for Hyundai's towing recommendations. Hyundai Canada says 749 kg without trailer brakes and 907 kg with brakes (1647-1995 pounds) for four cylinder models.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Look on the left side, outboard of the exhaust cans, there should be two wire harness ends with caps on them (assuming they are the same in CN as in the US).

etrailer.com has hitches and the plug n play harness, far cheaper than you will get them at a dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Santa Fe Manual (2007 2.2lt diesel auto) says max tow is 2000kg with a max nose weight of 80 kg,

However for a good match the max tow weight including all load, i.e. the weighbridge weight of the fully loaded caravan/trailer should not exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the vehicle which suggest a max tow weight of about 1650kg for my santa fe. The nose weight should never be exceeded otherwise you will knacker you suspension.

Question do Hyundai provide a transmission cooler as an after sales refit?

hope this helps

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (billbrownlie @ Jul 2 2010, 04:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338159
My Santa Fe Manual (2007 2.2lt diesel auto) says max tow is 2000kg
You folks across the pond get much higher towing ratings than we do here in North America, especially when comparing the diesel 2.2 with the gasoline 2.4.

Unfortunately for dwschoon, if he suffers a mechanical failure while following the European towing limits, the most his local Hyundai dealer will do is give him a quarter and tell him to call someone who cares :w00t:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wiring tip....

My hitch supplier recommended not using the exterior electrical hook ups. He said because the winter salt causes the light harnesses to fail and the manufacturer won't warranty. So I spliced mine in the trunk. :grin: Unless you're from the south....

·
Registered
90 Posts
The factory harness uses the same gasket lined connectors that all the other connections under the vehicle uses.
I'd suspect a splice job to go bad far sooner than a sealed connection, regardless of it's location.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (pen411 @ Jul 5 2010, 11:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338965
The factory harness uses the same gasket lined connectors that all the other connections under the vehicle uses.
I'd suspect a splice job to go bad far sooner than a sealed connection, regardless of it's location.
I'm not saying it would be the factory connectors but, the wiring harness controller itself.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (CanuckGLS @ Jul 5 2010, 07:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338923
Wiring tip....

My hitch supplier recommended not using the exterior electrical hook ups. He said because the winter salt causes the light harnesses to fail and the manufacturer won't warranty. So I spliced mine in the trunk. :grin: Unless you're from the south....
Interesting. Maybe this is why my dealer spliced the factory wiring harness through my trunk too(?) Ottawa is a high-corrosion area, thanks to the combination of wet salty winters and hot summers.

I've never trusted those blue plastic connectors (which is presumably what they used) but so far so good...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ah, so you mean the little controller box. It's designed to be outside, if it fails from exposure the warranty better cover it or I'd raise holy ****.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought one of the wiring harnesses that connect under the bumper It didn't work I culled the manufacture and they said if you didn't get the towing package you don't have the xtra relays ion place you need the behind the taillights version.

·
Registered
113 Posts
New 4 or the 6 doesn't matter - our tow weights are based on the chasis. Specifically our cars are unibody not body-on-frame like a truck, so you will be 3500 lbs, same as a 4 banger Subaru legacy station wagon. Crazy huh?

My 2010 came with a factory trans cooler.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (Khyron @ Feb 25 2011, 08:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=406979
New 4 or the 6 doesn't matter - our tow weights are based on the chasis. Specifically our cars are unibody not body-on-frame like a truck, so you will be 3500 lbs, same as a 4 banger Subaru legacy station wagon. Crazy huh?

My 2010 came with a factory trans cooler.
No - it's not restricted by the chassis engineering - the towing limit for RoW Santa Fe is 2500kg (5512lb) - it's an international culture thing, all brands have lower towing limits in North America than Rest of the World - the RoW Subaru 4-cyl is 1800kg (3969lb)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tow ratings are based on a combination of factors, including engine, transmission (including gear ratios), braking, frame attach points, cooling capacity (for both engine and trans if automatic), etc.

No single item such as frame style or engine size determines the tow rating.

Tow ratings in the US are derated due to federal regulations that set specific criteria for what a vehicle should do (feel free to look them up, I THINK it's CFR 19).
We have some of the strictest safety requirements in the world for vehicles, which is good because it seems we have the most accidents too. :)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (pen411 @ Feb 25 2011, 02:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=407020
We have some of the strictest safety requirements in the world for vehicles, which is good because it seems we have the most accidents too. :)
And of interest, we have some good regs with regard to aftermarket trailer braking systems which, if I recall correctly, are not even permitted in some EU countries... and yet they allow more to be towed without such systems?!?

Can't recall details. Who can elaborate?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gets more complex than that, as each state has their own regs for trailers, Florida for example requires brakes on any trailer over 3k lbs.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Feb 25 2011, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=407029
And of interest, we have some good regs with regard to aftermarket trailer braking systems which, if I recall correctly, are not even permitted in some EU countries... and yet they allow more to be towed without such systems?!?

Can't recall details. Who can elaborate?
In simple terms, in Europe we can tow about 2x the weight of North American limits but electric brakes aren't permitted - overrun brakes are required for any trailer over 750kg (1653lb) OR if the trailer exceeds 50% of kerbweight - most of RoW is similar to Europe.

In Europe we have very low accident rates towing as no insurer increases their premium (and they have the figures).

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Ruperts Trooper @ Feb 25 2011, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=407035
... overrun brakes ...
I've always wondered how these manage down hill and uneven surfaces when the vehicle itself is not being braked. Also, there's a lot of moving parts that MUST remain lubricated (else things can get interesting - as in when reversing). On the whole, what's the maintenance like on these?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts