Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a car sits unused for a period of time, the tires can develop out-of-round flat spots. They go away after a few miles of driving and so does the rumble.

I was surprised at how quickly the Dunlop P235/50R18 tires do this.

Anybody else notice this? Minor thing; just curious.

By the way, I had been driving Lincoln Town Cars for 20 years and might have not noticed this phenomenon, due to the soft suspension.

Loving my Genesis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I now have 19k miles on my genesis 4.6 and went in to get an oil change and was told that I need to replace my tires? I have Dunlop tires, was told that these tires are soft, you got to be kidding me with over $200 a tire and alignment, Something is wrong here, Now that I have placed 4 new tires with another tire company for half the cost and better tires now I have a slight drift to the Right and am being told that my caster is off by .02 degrees and there is no fix from hyundai, COME ON NOW!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
QUOTE (drummer1 @ Jun 22 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335268
I now have 19k miles on my genesis 4.6 and went in to get an oil change and was told that I need to replace my tires? I have Dunlop tires, was told that these tires are soft, you got to be kidding me with over $200 a tire and alignment, Something is wrong here, Now that I have placed 4 new tires with another tire company for half the cost and better tires now I have a slight drift to the Right and am being told that my caster is off by .02 degrees and there is no fix from Hyundai, COME ON NOW!!!

I don't know that I would suggest switching to another tire brand/size unless they show compatibility with your vehicle. When they designed the car it was spec'd with a particular tire type for a reason. When you put the 4 new tires on the vehicle did the shop balance and align them or just send you on down the road with the new tires?... I have had that happen a couple times in the past is why I'm asking, you get a lazy technician who just slaps new rubber on your car and tells you your all set......uh ..wtf lol. Also are the tires a correct match to the rim? Too much variance in the diameter/width etc of the new tires will mess up how the car handles. The caster on the front is set to a specified # when manufactured and is non-changeable, so if your all of a sudden seeing a different # then it is due to some sort of difference in the tires vs. the OEM specified tire. Even if the original tires were "soft", unless your constantly hot-dogging, on super bad roads all the time or not doing proper tire maintenance (rotate/balance/align) as per the service guide for your vehicle then there is no way at 19k miles you should need new ones.

What is the rating/service length on the Dunlop tires from the tire manufacturer? (on my Azera they are using the Michelin MXV4 Energy 235/55VR-17 M+S with a 98V load/speed rating, they have a 6 year/60,000 mile warranty on them). Those tire specifications were picked by Hyundai for the Azera for a reason to meet the speed and load rating necessary for the vehicle to handle well in a variety of situations. My tires are good for a 98 load rating (1653 lbs) and V rated for speed (up to 149MPH)......though I would never suggest you max out the #'s the tire is rated to, especially in the speed department :)

If you followed all your scheduled maintenance on the tires and have the service records showing you have done what is required of you, either Dunlop or Hyundai should be replacing the tires under warranty. Make sure you have copies of each or can get them from where you had the work done. Please keep us informed, I am curious to how they handle your situation. Us Azera owners are having problems with the front suspension causing premature tire failure on our cars. Our Michelin's are rated to 60,000 miles but most are not getting past 15-20k without having severe cupping to the inside of the tires..and this is with keeping them rotated/balanced and aligned every 3k miles. Hyundai wont take responsibility for it and out of kindness from Michelin they replaced my 1st set with only 8k miles on them at no charge, now I'm at 4k miles on the new tires which have already had one rotate/balance/align done to them.....they are already showing signs of cupping.

New Tire Buyers....BEWARE: Straight from Hyundai and the Tire Manufacturers Pages (Dunlop, Continental, Goodyear, Pirelli, Michelin etc..);

Warning Notes: Replacement tires must be the same size and must have the same load range and capacity in order to carry the load of the OEM vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gameday22 - All your comments are great. However, there is no tread life warranty on the Dunlop tires that come on the Genesis, check it out on http://Tirerack.com and Hyundai will not replace your tires under warranty either. Trust me on this, I fought for 3 months when I first got my Genesis with 4 bad tires on it even had the road-force data to prove the tires were bad. Eventually and with much pain on my part the tires were replaced by the dealership not Hyundai. OK let’s fast forward 25K miles and the crappy Dunlop tires need to be replaced on my car. To be honest with you they should have been replaced 5K miles ago but I have other problems with my car and wasn’t going to spend the money on tires if I was going to Lemon the car. However, my attorney told me it would make my lemon case better if I replaced the tires. So one might be asking what did you decide, well I have purchased 4 235/50ZR -18 Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum 6year/60K mile warranty  I did lots of research on these tires and many people have great things to say about how they ride and wear. I haven’t had them installed yet but the dealership is going to mount, road force and 4 wheel align my car. Hopefully I will finally have a Genesis the rides nice. I’ll report back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.