Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the OEM fog lights available for purchase, and if so has anyone added them to their vehicle? I was looking at it and it didn't seem like it would be too crazy to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where is a good web site to go to order fog lights for a 2010 GLS ? PLUS Where can a person buy the Santa Fe front license plate at that says Santa Fe on it like you see on UK Hyundai models.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw these online and I might be getting them.
foglights

My only question is whether these are the same size as the cutouts.

Anyone know if I can by the inserts with the hole already in them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
MY FOG LIGHT TALE OF WOE.

I, too, want to add fog lights to my 2010 SF GLS. It has been a study in frustration.

FINDING THE RIGHT LIGHTS
I read of others installing Bling Halo lights, so I bought a new pair on eBay. On the positive side:
  • They come with a wiring harness
  • They are the same diameter as the cut-out in the black plastic inserts in the bumper.
On the other hand, the only mounting hardware they come with is a metal U-bracket that bears no relationship to the mounting holes on the inside of the bumper. There is no readily apparent way to mount them, let alone adjust them after they are mounted. Their instructions offer the suggestion of first mounting the lights inside pieces of PVC pipe, but nothing about how to secure the pipe to the bumper. So that was a waste of time and money.

Then I found this listing on the Web: Parts Geek Fog Lights
and ordered a set. While I waited for them to arrive, I bought 2 replacement plastic inserts for my bumper, the ones with the oval cut-outs in them for the ES or Limited SF models. (They were only $13 each.)

When the lights came, I discovered that the oval of the lights and the oval of the cut-outs do not match (the lights are larger). What's more, the mounts on the lights do not match up to the mounts on the back of the bumper.

Then I looked more closely at the box the lights came in. They were labeled: SNTA F '07-'08. I checked the supplier's listing for 2008 SF fog lights, and found the same part number being offered for all the intervening years. I'm waiting for an RMA to return them.

QUESTION: HAS ANYONE FOUND ACTUAL 2010 FOG LIGHTS?

THE CONFOUNDING HYUNDAI FOG LIGHT SWITCH...
I had also bought Hyundai's OEM fog light switch. Such a switch actually has to turn 3 different circuits on-off:
  • The blue symbol that lights with the regular dash lights
  • The yellow IN-SERVICE indicator that that glows when the fog lights are turned on, and
  • The fog lights themselves.
Not surprisingly, there are 6 terminals on the back of the switch, 2 for each circuit, or so you would think. They're arranged like this:

[attachment=20515:Hyundai_...t_Switch.jpg]

Using a 12-volt power supply and an ohm meter, I set about figuring out which pairs did what:

Terminals [6+] and [4-] power the dashboard light. That function works fine.

Either: [2+] and [1-] OR [2+] and [5-] cause the yellow IN-SERVICE light to correctly reflect the switch's on/off status. (The light must be an LED, because polarity makes a difference.)

Three pairs worked as conventional ON/OFF pairs, and in theory would turn the fog lights on and off:
[1]-[3] [1]-[5] or [3]-[5]

I tried to connect the switch so it would do all three functions. What I found was that as soon as I put power (+) to any of the fog light terminals, [1], [3] or [5], the yellow IN-SERVICE light would go out. I can't figure out how to make them work together.

QUESTION: DOES ANYONE KNOW THE CORRECT WAY TO WIRE THIS SWITCH?

For the record, here are the test results when I tried each pair of contacts, + to one, - to the other:

[attachment=20516:Terminal_pairs.jpg]

help...

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like my quest for fog lights will continue....you'd think the dealer would sell them or Hyundai or someone. This is starting to make me crazy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can order them from the dealer, but like anything else, the price going that route is outrageous. I asked when I bought the switch, and if I remember correctly, the price per light was $109, and I think the mounting hardware was more yet. I want fog lights, but not that badly.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
It's beginning to sound like your best bet will be to hover around the local junkyard and hope for something that's been rear-ended by a semi. It's a darned shame that the '07~'09 was of a different dimension where it counts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (QRichardQ @ Oct 4 2010, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360949
...or if someone can devise a workable method for mounting a set of Bling Halos.
I'm responding to my own post. (I've begun talking to myself...)

All hope is not yet lost. I have sat staring at my Bling lights for some time, and I think I may have thought of a very simple method for installing them. Weather (and my wife) allowing, I will try it this coming weekend. I'll report back next week.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Guess I'm confused. If you need/want fog lights, how are the halos going to do you any good? Or was your plan to use the fog lights as DRLs? If so, do the halos qualify from a legal standpoint?

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Oct 4 2010, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361034
Guess I'm confused. If you need/want fog lights, how are the halos going to do you any good? Or was your plan to use the fog lights as DRLs? If so, do the halos qualify from a legal standpoint?
They are talking about these. http://www.blujay.com/item/2010-Hyundai-Sa...2020319-3285053 They are halo lamps, off or fog lamps. Not a bad set up, but as previously stated the included mount bracket is not pre-configured for the existing cut out.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Ah, got it. What I was familiar with was just the regular "Bling Halo" sans fog lights. Had never seen them integrated into fogs before, just solo for headlights.

Was trying to figure out how they'd light much up!

5000K shouldn't be too annoying, either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I have the proverbial good news, bad news.

The good news: My cheap ($3) Bling mounting method pretty clearly would work.

The bad news: Provided it's not on a Hyundai Santa Fe.

The problem is two-fold:

1) The blank in the 2010 SF fog light space is oval, not round. That's not insurmountable. You could cut a round opening anyway. But...

2) The surface is angled toward the outside of the car.

So while you could mount the lights, the car would be oddly wall-eyed, shining the fog lights out to the sides rather than straight on. The OEM lights are apparently angled themselves to compensate for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (SactoJim @ Oct 15 2010, 05:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363764
I too have a 2010 that I would like to add fogs to.

Anyone try these (link below)? Part numbers are diff for 09 and 2010 models.

2010 Santa Fe Fog Lights
Yes. Those are the lights I describe in the Oct 2 post above as really being 2007-8 lights. They are not in fact 2010 lights. I had to send them back.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (SactoJim @ Oct 15 2010, 06:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363764
I too have a 2010 that I would like to add fogs to.

Anyone try these (link below)? Part numbers are diff for 09 and 2010 models.

2010 Santa Fe Fog Lights
Beware -- Parts Geek does something really silly with their part numbers. Even if the part is identical, the first portion of the number identifies the vehicle - the second portion is the actual part number, and you'll find they are the same.

Try checking '07 '08 and '09. They're all the same. The prefix changes by year, the actual part number does not change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts