Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(possible duplicate thread- apologies to the mods if it's still in queue, I've had other posts approved so I'm guessing it fell thru the cracks, please disapprove it if it's still floating out there)

So here's the deal, I joined the forum because I wanted some straight talk from Elantra owners.. note the side panel what I drive. No Hyundai listed. Looking to change that.

I've got an opportunity to get a 2010 GLS, I think it is, with the automatic. I trust the seller completely without reservations, that's not an issue. I know the history of the car, one small overheat issue but nothing to worry about, the car has been serviced at the dealership since new, it's in near showroom condition (the engine bay's barely dirty), and it has only 34,000 miles on the odo. It's available to me for close to book value but the terms are an offer I can't refuse. The only thing I'm looking at is tires to replace the two originals that are still on it, and only as a prophylactic- they still have usable tread but eight years is getting old.

But I see some bad stories around the 'net about the auto transaxle. Are they really Evil Incarnate? Like a lot of the good reviews seemed to revolve around the 5spd manual, but when you hate the auto, you really, really hate the auto.

I want the car, but I wasn't really planning on getting another vehicle right away. However, I feel as if I can't pass this up- the car's really clean and it's been very well-kept. I drove it about 60 miles round trip yesterday and it ran like a champ. But I'd like to know if I'm getting into bad juju with the automatic. I'm skittish- if any of y'all know what the Ford 3.8 Essex is, you know what I'm talking about. Some things were just made to blow up. I'm also kinda trans-ed out atm with the other half's Exploder- that thing's had the trans worked on several times in the last couple years.

I know nothing's perfect but if this thing's liable to crap out before a reasonable amount of use I may pass on it.

I was enthusiastic about some aspects of maintenance, like the timing belt interval (my Kia is only like 50,000 between belt changes and it's a bit of a PITA to DIY) being quite respectable, but the trans comments in a lot of reviews made me skittish. Ofc these are squeaky wheels and not posting to an enthusiast forum, I feel that makes a difference. I couldn't find production ticket numbers but I'm assuming they cranked out a good number of these cars, some will inevitably have issues, I just want an idea of my chances with it.

So talk me into getting it, fellas.. I have to make a decision by tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Trans been common problem with OE unit, the thing will slip in-out a few time during 2-3 shift I think it is, and finally complete shift and go.. I just refer to it as whama - whama- whama shift as engine speed bounce up-down with in-out of trans try to shift,, doe s it real nice the harder you stand on throttle

Remedy is Re-Man trans from Hundai,, have not seen Re-Man unit act up.. Price is rough $1750, add oil and cooler flush solvent, and figure maybe $750 in labor

Handfull of recall in past too,,, Got a VIN for me ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Thank for the reply- Not in front of me- it's a GLS with the 2.0 and the 4-speed auto. As far as history, I'd know it, it's actually my in-laws and I was with them when they bought it, any major work it'd be us toting them around. No history to speak of. I think they had a few minor recalls, switches and such. Everything works like new, though.

Yeah I've seen your description of the whamma-whamma. I stood on it a time or two other day, didn't feel nothin'. Just trying to get an idea of how common or not the problem is and typical mileage when they give trouble. The idea of something crapping out every 50K or so is pretty unacceptable to me, you know?

I'm leaning towards taking a chance but some of the reviews I read were pretty gruesome. But then I know there's going to be the occasional trouble child.

So far trans fluid is pristine, smells normal. What's the cause of these things? They skimp on the valve body or something? I've got a Exploder with that issue, and I had a Sable that had that issue. The Sable never crapped out until I loaned it out and they ran the trans dry. The Exploder, well, been rebuilt once and repaired another couple times after that.. but it did wait a respectable mileage before crapping. I'd like to know I'll get some good years before I have to worry about shelling out for a remanufactured or a rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 08 gls, and i love it. It is an auto and has tranny quirks, i think it is what was mentioned on this thread by sbr. It only happens occasionally and was violent shift only once, it has been like this for a year so i kinda brush it off now, all i did to make myself feel better was replace the filter and put fresh oem fluid in, still does it but not as noticable

the rear bushings will prob need to be replaced, that is a common problem,

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply!

Well I don't drive it much, but have used it a few times now and runs like a champ. I know someone with a 2011 who puts a good bit of miles on his and he loves it.

Right now what's bothering me is I have a perception (without having actually measured it) of less than stellar gas mileage (but I suspect it's also got a small gas tank, possibly smaller than any previous vehicles I've had) and the insurance is killing me... but the car itself is pretty good so far. I could wish for more responsive downshifting but I think that's been addressed in forum- it doesn't have an Eco mode that can be switched off, and it's going to be geared/tuned for economy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts