Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of what an aftermarket head unit with navigation would look installed? My girlfriend purchased a GLS and we just moved to a new area. I have a Pioneer F90BT in my car and it would be nice to put something similar in her car so functionality is the same and easy to use. I have also seen some nock off aftermarket Navi units I guess specifically for the Sonata, has anyone put in one of these? Pictures would be gratefully appreciated.

I do not want to mess with the handhelds as to put in the cubby yes it is too low, I already deal with that on my car with my Pioneer unit as the stock stereo location is low in my GTO and it drives me crazy looking down to the controls. The unit I considering for her car is the Pioneer U310 as it is very very reasonably priced and take it in the house to program for a road trip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ May 2 2010, 01:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318751
there is seriously ALOT of threads about headunits on sonatas, try the search :00000732:

Thank you the help and yes I am familiar with searching on boards and I did for several hours and did not find any pictures of a 2009/2010 Sonata double din head unit installation. Please feel free to prove me wrong with a search that brings this up if you want to be so nice about welcoming a new member to the board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ May 2 2010, 03:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318927
^its really not that hard to picture, you can try www.cardomain.com and search up 2009-2010 sonatas and see what the others have put in for aftermarket headunits, most of them go with double din screens and your pioneer f90bt is double din so its perfect. my 0.02

Been there done that, not a single double din unit on car domain. Anyone else out there that can help? There has to be someone that has installed a doubledin in a 2009/2010 Sonata.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The girlfriend wants to know what it looks like mainly. Plus I am curious how it looks being a black head unit inside a gray center dash, with my dash it was it easy black on black and lines up flash. It practically looks stock when you are walking by the car.

·
Banned
873 Posts
are you completly set on buying the pioneer deck you mentioned? if not check this
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t47427-after...sonata-2009.htm
you probably have checked that thread already but those oem looing aftermarkets look the best in my opinion, not too sure about the functionality but brief view looks like its better than most plain jane headunits

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
First of all, I have an '06, so your dashboard's different.

I think the best answer is YMMV. The color is often a problem. The spousal unit took one look at my installation and said, "Those shoes don't match that purse." So I painted both the factory (left and right) trim pieces as well as the kit. I used Rust Olium finely-textured black paint; its held up well. NOW they match!

Many of the double-DIN aftermarket nav units don't quite match the dashboard kits available; they can sometimes leave a gap between the nav and the kit. My Pioneer nav (which I ditched due to crappy nav; see * below) sure did and short of fabricating something to fill the gap there's nothing you can do. Again, YMMV.

I think the only way you can get a feel for how it looks in the dash is to buy the kit (it doesn't cost much) and buy the nav somewhere where you can return it then see how the nav fills the gap in the kit.

Some of the knockoff navs allege they fit without a kit. Dunno whether you can buy one of these and return it.

*After reading the review titled Good concept- Bad implementation-lot of bugs, system hangs, I would NOT use the U310; it has many of the same problems my Pioneer nav had.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts