Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Been reading here but to no avail. I have a 2010 Accent with 106 000 km on it (Canada). A couple months ago (just as warranty expired) the car would not start. Nothing. Engine would not even turn over. Just a click of the starter solenoid. battery had a load test and is fine. Removed negative battery cable and cleaned the cable where it bolts to the body under the battery tray. Battery terminals were both cleaned at the same time. Things worked fine for a couple weeks and the problem is back but worse. Everything in the car works fine when it won't start. If I continually turn the key to the start position it will eventually start to turn over and start fine. Sometimes it takes 20-30 turns of the key till it turns over and starts. When it does turn over and start, the engine turns over fine at the normal speed. Not slow like a weak battery.

Any idea's? Kinda stumped. Dealer is useless. Had a coil go a couple months back just before the warranty expired and they told us that the reason the coil went was that the car had been rust proofed by someone other than Hyundai. LOL!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
its probably the starter motor, possibly the connection. strange to have that go on a car so young, but hey stranger things have happened.

use a multimeter to check for continuity, then its time to pull the starter. you can try applying battery current right to the starter if you know how to do so safely once its out.

yeah the dealer is dumb. what else is new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a similar problem with my boat. Had a buddy peek around at the engine when I was trying to start it. It turned out to be a frayed exposed wire right at the starter and he could see the electrical current jumping from it. Taped it up with lots of electrical tape and then it was fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe the ignition switch? Haven't heard of one go on these and it would be odd, but if the starter and wiring checks out that'd be the next place to look.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
guys, this isn't a boat nor is it the ignition switch. if it was the ignition, he would not be reporting the clicking from the starter solenoid so that one is out.

as far as bad wiring, sure its possible. thats why i told him to inspect it and get a multimeter on it.

until thats done, or the starter is tested, we know nothing. there are very few other options if any.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It does sound like a starter issue to me. If not, it might be connection, but the fact that all other electronics works (right), suggests that the starter is getting current, just doesn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like I have to pull the starter. Old school mechanic said maybe the solenoid is sticking. You can hear a clicking sound but the might not be fully engaging. He hasn't heard the clicking but is fairly confident it's the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You should measure the voltage right at the starter on the small feed wire ; it's from the ignition key switch when it's turned to the start position. You will need two people.

Is the car standard or auto ? The starter circuit gets a ground signal through the park neutral switch.

The loud click is normally a bad starter solenoid; but there are other sources of no starts sometimes.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
its not a difficult job on an accent, if it were me i'd pull the starter to be honest. use some test leads and the battery to test the solenoid. quite often its the connections at the starter end if its going to fail - and then you'll find them when pulling the starter, problem solved.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm going through this as we speak. Turns out the lead from the battery to the starter wasn't properly tightened at the factory. It caused the solenoid to overheat during cranking because of the added amperage. The stud got pushed out through the melted plastic enough to break contact when engaging the solenoid. Starter motor works fine when jumped with a screwdriver.

I'm getting an OEM used starter with 6k km on it for 58$.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2010 Hyundai accent. Any suggestions? It has 120,000. Should I replace the starter or not? When it starts, it starts but when it doesn't it doesn't. It has a mind of its own. When I turn it over, either it won't start and there's nothing there or if it does, it struggles to start. However, you then park it and come out moments later and then it won't start most of the time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
OK, I'm confused...:confused:

"Turn it over"...means the starter is turning the motor over. So, if the motor is "cranking", but not catching, it's not the starter.

Turning the key, but not cranking. Starter motor, battery, battery leads, battery, ignition switch.

Cranking but not starting. The engine needs fuel, air, spark and timing. If any of these is not in the equation, no start. Add, with modern engines, all kinds of sensors telling the ECU what's happening and you increase the complexity of the situation.

If THAT'S what's happening, then the Crank Position Sensor is known to be a culprit in that situation...but that's just anecdotal. Could be anything.

Are there any codes/MIL?

Reactions: James21

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Hey all! Been reading here but to no avail. I have a 2010 Accent with 106 000 km on it (Canada). A couple months ago (just as warranty expired) the car would not start. Nothing. Engine would not even turn over. Just a click of the starter solenoid. battery had a load test and is fine. Removed negative battery cable and cleaned the cable where it bolts to the body under the battery tray. Battery terminals were both cleaned at the same time. Things worked fine for a couple weeks and the problem is back but worse. Everything in the car works fine when it won't start. If I continually turn the key to the start position it will eventually start to turn over and start fine. Sometimes it takes 20-30 turns of the key till it turns over and starts. When it does turn over and start, the engine turns over fine at the normal speed. Not slow like a weak battery.

Any idea's? Kinda stumped. Dealer is useless. Had a coil go a couple months back just before the warranty expired and they told us that the reason the coil went was that the car had been rust proofed by someone other than Hyundai. LOL!
I have 2 videos about the alternator and starter. Feel free to click on my signature and go watch them. I ended up having a bad alternator which stressed the battery and killed the starter. So I ended up replacing the starter and alternator and my car has been great now. My issue was turn key nothing. Turn key click....click.... nothing. I show how to check voltages. Detailed diagrams and testing and replacement. It sucks to have your car do this now. At least when mine went it was still warm. Now i'm buried in snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts

It’s the starter I have a 2010 accent and mine has went twice same situation as your to the tee lol I paid for a new starter worked fine for 6 months n did it again atlease with buying new starter it’s under warranty been 8 months now no signs of it happening again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts