Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A couple nights ago I went to start my Accent and couldn’t get it going. It was cranking but wouldn’t start up. I tried a maybe 3 times to get it started and nothing. The next morning I attempted to start it up again, on the second attempted it slowly sputtered to life. Seemed to be running normal except for a very audible ticking noise that would increase in frequency as I accelerated. A couple days have passed now, I am able to start the car no problem but still have the ticking noise. I tried topping off the oil to the full line but still hear the ticking. The car has just under 200000 Kms. Any ideas?

Here is what it sounds like:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
That sounds like a lifter noise. Don't know if your cars got hydraulic lifters but if it does you can add a product called Nulon lifter quiet. Works a treat.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A valve lifter or something related to the camshafts chain broken. If you have the 1.6 with cvvt you have to check the chain tensioner. In version without the cvvt the chain guide is fixed and must be changed if are worn.

If you increase the revs at around 2.000 the nois increase or goes away? If goes away, it comes back in decreasing revs? If yes is the chain, otherwise is a valve lifter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A valve lifter or something related to the camshafts chain broken. If you have the 1.6 with cvvt you have to check the chain tensioner. In version without the cvvt the chain guide is fixed and must be changed if are worn.

If you increase the revs at around 2.000 the nois increase or goes away? If goes away, it comes back in decreasing revs? If yes is the chain, otherwise is a valve lifter.
Noise is persistent no matter what the rpm.

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
Should have timing belt not a chain. And the cam belt tensioner is set it and forget it.

The lifters are hydraulic, they call them hydralic lash adjusters. The cams need removed to check them. Here is a noise diagnostic list for the 2008 1.6L.

HLA Accent diagnostics.jpg

·
Registered
241 Posts
Should have timing belt not a chain. And the cam belt tensioner is set it and forget it.
The G4EE and G4ED have the belt and the chain. I wrote it several times. The belt is between crankshaft to exhaust camshaft. From the exhaust to intake camshaft there is a chain. This is also to do easly the cvvt!

This is a photo of cylinder head of a non cvvt version G4EE:

In any case, considering the persistent noise, probably is a sticky valve lifter.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
They have tiny bleed holes that do block up more so on some cars than others. As I mentioned a good additive then later followed up with an oil change with the correct viscosity oil may solve your problem. Sometimes the noise will go away on it's own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to try pick up an additive and some new oil tomorrow. The car is about due for an oil change anyways. I'll post the results when I've got the new oil in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like a rod at idle. What does it sound like when you snap the throttle? Does it bang? If so, it's a rod.
When I give it some throttle ticking just increases in frequency and when I release the ticking slows down again. Can't hear any banging or clanking.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Might payoff the cover and have a look for things like a broken valve spring. You can also try to compress the lifters and see if one is spongy.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
When I give it some throttle ticking just increases in frequency and when I release the ticking slows down again. Can't hear any banging or clanking.
Not SOME throttle. Go from idle to full throttle immediately. What does that sound like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Added some seafoam to the crankcase and did some driving yesterday. Ticking has since disappeared. Guess it just needed a cleaning. I still don’t know what caused it to not start up the first night but the ticking is gone, it’s starting up fine and driving like normal.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Greetings, gents. Long time, no see.

I had an older Mazda that did this. The HLAs were most likely gummed up. I bought 8 of them at AutoZone, and also Quaker State High-Mileage oil.

Just for laughs I changed the oil first. After a few minutes the ticking went away, never to return. As long as I used the Quaker State, that is. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts