Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I have a puddle of transmission fluid on my driveway. Go to back out earlier and car would go into R or D but giving it gas did not do anything!
Is there a common hose or connector that will come undone from normal wear and tear?
Would I be okay if I filled it with fluid and drove it for 2 miles to the shop??

Any input/suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the tranny pan is corroding and seeping through that and slowly dripping out on my driveway..
Havent tried to put fluid in to see if it will go into gear... afraid something serious in transmission happened. Any common issue with these any1 else ran into?

·
Registered
488 Posts
As a test, you could clean and dry the pan, and slather the corroded area with silicone seal, wait a day, and try to refil it, and see it if it still works ok, before replacing the pan

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks like the tranny pan is corroding and seeping through that and slowly dripping out on my driveway..
Havent tried to put fluid in to see if it will go into gear... afraid something serious in transmission happened. Any common issue with these any1 else ran into?
Going by your username, it sounds like you live in NY. Unfortunately, corrosion is just a problem that's common across any auto manufacturer in the Rust Belt. Even with a good coating, all it takes is one pebble nicking the pan and exposing bear metal and rust starts to take hold spreading like a cancer with each winter.

On your main issue, the transmission needs fluid pressure to work so if the fluid is way too low then it would have a problem shifting gears. Filling the fluid to the proper level and seeing if the transmission starts to shift gears won't break it more then it already is. If the transmission is broken then it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the support guys! Yes sir, NY winters have been rough on her. My local non hyundai mechanics are too busy to take this on this week so I've been beating around the bush on what to do with it. I think I will get some fluid tomorrow and see if it will atleast go into gear.. Girlfriend is worried its seized up by now but like you said cant do much more to it if its already trashed. Will put up an update this weekend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts