Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this vehicle recently had no check engine light seemed to drive good didn't notice any problems, then on first day CEL came on (I suspect it was cleared). Code is system lean on bank 1 p0171. Now I have very small budget and little to no mechanical knowledge so I am looking to tread lightly to get this taken care of hopefully with as least resistance as possible. Some symptoms on the vehicle that I have noticed that could help possibly pinpoint hopefully.

1. Car has had trouble starting a couple times however both times it was very low on gas but not at empty a hair above and no light on so I believe it was a gas issue.
2. On occasion when I go to switch gear I notice it feels like there is no power at all and I almost stall I have to try again and all of a sudden it seems there is power when gassing it.
3. I did read somewhere they thought this vehicle could use a 6th gear but I am not sure if it should be to the extent that I have it or not, 3k rpm in 5th gear is only 60 if I'm going 75 I'm easily hitting 4000 rpm.
4. My MPG I am getting has to be 15-20 by my math and that's mainly highway.

I really don't want to bring it to a dealership but I will go to a reputable garage if my hand is forced just wanted to see if there was anything I could maybe try myself or look for to help diagnose if it's a vacuum leak or o2 sensor or what. I've done the research I can and seen it can be a few things but hoping to get more vehicle specific advice or something more tuned to my situation.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,414 Posts
Just a wild guess, ....
Do a visual inspect of the in-take hoses and look around in-take.
Looking for vacuum leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a wild guess, ....
Do a visual inspect of the in-take hoses and look around in-take.
Looking for vacuum leak.
Yes nothing apparent to me someone else suggested that I find a way to get fuel trim data and it could potentially help identify the problem without throwing money at it. So I am going tomorrow to see if I can get an auto shop to do that for me, to my limited understanding I believe I would need to drive the car to get the data I need? I know Autozone has scanners but doubt they would be willing to go that far if so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May have a stiuck open purge valve. Do you have trouble starting after filling up with gas?
So I have not gotten the fuel trim data yet however have ruled out up stream o2 sensor, map sensor is original but no map sensor codes, idle control valve cleaned, tightened intake which was loose and reset CEL, came on right at 50miles 2 key cycles. Worth noting I realized today the tires that were on there were a size too small so hopefully that will help with my RPM issues but unsure if it'd cause any fuel trim problems. I have had problems after filling the gas and when the gas is low and I had not filled it yet (not quite empty but close) but would that trigger another code along side it for the purge valve or not necessarily. The vehicle drove very well the whole time the CEL was off. One last funny symptom I doubt is related but I noticed on the odometer there is a notification when it suggests you to switch up a gear and it is pretty wonky often telling me to switch from 3rd to 5th and other gears a bit early. I appreciate any time and help provided.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
The purge valve may set a code if it is stuck open too much. If you have trouble starting after getting gas it is because it is stuck open and pushing fumes into the intake when filling. They are relatively easy to change. It's located on the firewall side of the throttle body. You may need some new hose between the valve and intake as the connector hose may fall apart when removing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Without a small $20. investment in a Mode 6 capable OBDII scanner you're sort of "flying blind" here and really at the mercy of a lot of possibly incorrect garage people opinions out there. I would urge you to invest in a scanner like this to get a handle on what the car is really trying to tell you and eliminate all the guessing. The information and troubleshooting direction is priceless. This little scanner has that capability - I think you'll be surprised at what the on-board monitors are seeing. The 2010 accent has plenty of them to report. Automotive OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Check Car Engine Fault Code Diagnostic Tool | eBay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without a small $20. investment in a Mode 6 capable OBDII scanner you're sort of "flying blind" here and really at the mercy of a lot of possibly incorrect garage people opinions out there. I would urge you to invest in a scanner like this to get a handle on what the car is really trying to tell you and eliminate all the guessing. The information and troubleshooting direction is priceless. This little scanner has that capability - I think you'll be surprised at what the on-board monitors are seeing. The 2010 accent has plenty of them to report. Automotive OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Check Car Engine Fault Code Diagnostic Tool | eBay
Thank you I actually took it to a dealer for a recall and gave them an extra $50 for a diagnosis they said "Found fuel pressure 22.9% well above threshold needs fuel pump assembly, lock ring, and o ring. So I was wondering if this sounds correct to any professionals here and also they quoted me for repair 839 which was about 60/40 parts labor however I found a fuel pump assembly and lock ring for $85 combined and I have a mechanic who quoted me $60 for fuel pump because its right under seat he said so just wanted to gather some opinions here as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry you were duped with the check engine light cleared scam. I've bought 3 cars like that. One person actually took the check engine light bulb out of the dash physically to scam me. But from here on out, my future car purchases will be OBD II scanned. Anyway, you mentioned hyundai dealership. I went to them a couple times when I first bought my Accent. There pricing is pretty spot on with the other mechanic shops in town and more honest. Just bring your own parts, and you can shave a ton off your bill at the hyundai dealership. Their part's mark up is high. The labor isn't that high. Don't be in a rush either with them or they'll burn you. Get a written estimate and walk and think about it a few days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry you were duped with the check engine light cleared scam. I've bought 3 cars like that. One person actually took the check engine light bulb out of the dash physically to scam me. But from here on out, my future car purchases will be OBD II scanned. Anyway, you mentioned hyundai dealership. I went to them a couple times when I first bought my Accent. There pricing is pretty spot on with the other mechanic shops in town and more honest. Just bring your own parts, and you can shave a ton off your bill at the hyundai dealership. Their part's mark up is high. The labor isn't that high. Don't be in a rush either with them or they'll burn you. Get a written estimate and walk and think about it a few days.
Thank you for your advice. to anyone wondering with same problems it seems my problem was the fuel pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts