Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,
My 2010 accent is eating oil like crazy. I checked my oil and was low ~1.5L added was added and 1000KM later I notice I am low again. Can anyone guide me in the right direction.
Thank you

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some other information would be helpful: How many miles does the engine have on it? Have you always had to "top off" the oil and it's just gotten really bad lately or is this a recent phenomenon?

High mileage engines will naturally consume more oil, but ~1.5 quarts over 600 miles is really excessive. Does your exhaust look smoky and have a bluish hue to it? That much oil consumption needs to be addressed since it can cause other problems (spark plug fouling, damaged O2 sensors, clogged catalytic converter etc).

Also, are you absolutely sure you don't have an oil leak (i.e. did you crawl under the car and look for wet oil anywhere underneath the engine/frame)?

If it's not an oil leak then the problem is likely mechanical. Perhaps worn piston rings and/or valve guide seals etc. Another cause might be the PCV valve--did you ever change that? Not sure a defective PCV valve by itself would lead to that much oil consumption though.

It could also be a combination of the above (i.e. oil leak and mechanical wear). Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have 66486miles on it. I replaced the PVC valve today. I dont notice any oil leak under the car.
I hope its not the piston rings.

To be honest, I never noticed eating oil, till I did my last oil change and noticed only 1.2L came out. I changed it since then noticed it eating min 1L every 1500-2000km.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That amount of oil consumption for a motor with only 66k miles is absolutely abnormal. When you checked for a leak, did you get underneath the car? Some leaks are insidious in that they're slow enough where they don't actually drip, but instead soak the undercarriage of the car when air blows underneath while you're driving down the road. If you're sure you don't have any oil leaks, pull out a spark plug and see if it's fouled up.

Either way, your car should still be covered under Hyundai's 100k mile powertrain warranty so I'd suggest taking it to a dealership and explaining that you've noticed the car "eating oil" lately.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
My question is how low is it now? Some automakers accept as much as 1L/1000kms as a benchmark. I know that's ridiculous but it gives them good protection in avoiding a warranty claim.
Check to see if it blows blue smoke after startup particularly after it's been left standing for a few hours or better still overnight. If it does it may be the valve stem seals. Usually if the rings are worn the plugs will foul with wet oil on a regular basis. But as previously suggested take it back to the dealer for assessment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the engine covered by the power train warranty?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
The OP never indicated his/her location, but the fact that they're using km to describe distance leads me to believe Canada or elsewhere outside the U.S. Perhaps one of our Canadian residents on these forums can chime in on the powertrain warranty (i.e. if it is equivalent to the U.S. 100,000 mile warranty, which equates to about 160,000 km).

The oil consumption described (1 liter every 1,500-2,000 km) is ridiculous, especially for a motor with that mileage. The car only uses about 3.5 quarts (3.3 liters) for an oil + filter change so they wouldn't even make it to the next oil change interval without the motor running dry. Lucky they checked it when they did.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The OP never indicated his/her location, but the fact that they're using km to describe distance leads me to believe Canada or elsewhere outside the U.S. Perhaps one of our Canadian residents on these forums can chime in on the powertrain warranty (i.e. if it is equivalent to the U.S. 100,000 mile warranty, which equates to about 160,000 km).

The oil consumption described (1 liter every 1,500-2,000 km) is ridiculous, especially for a motor with that mileage. The car only uses about 3.5 quarts (3.3 liters) for an oil + filter change so they wouldn't even make it to the next oil change interval without the motor running dry. Lucky they checked it when they did.
Sorry I am in Canada.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
The engine is part of the powertrain so it would be covered. But, the question now is whether or not the OP's vehicle is out of warranty based on the mileage (~107,000 km). Maybe someone outside the U.S. who knows can answer.

One thing with a powertrain warranty claim though is that the manufacturer may ask for some proof that the car was adequately maintained. If the dealer did all the maintenance then that's easy, but if you do all of your own maintenance then it's important to keep some documentary proof (e.g. receipts for your oil/filter purchases etc.) in case you get challenged that your car is poorly-maintained and they refuse to honor the warranty. Still, I think (at least in the U.S.) that the burden is on the manufacturer. Nevertheless, perhaps someone who has some experience with a Hyundai powertrain warranty claim can chime in on that as well.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I didn't say that 1L/100km was acceptable. Not in my books. It's the benchmark oil consumption for GM when involved with a warranty claim. Of course it's absolutely ridiculous but if you take them to court they pull out the paperwork to claim it's acceptable. We had nearly all the gen3 engines here in Australia consuming large quantities of oil so GM came back with that figure and unless it was proven to be more (which was the case for many) they would refuse a claim. We all know how bad some manufacturers get. 1L/10,000ks is around what I find with a car that's done well over 100,000kms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts