Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I just purchased a 2010 Accent and I want to install a double-din stereo. I've read all the posts about the dash plate, etc, but I can't figure out if I need to purchase anything special for a double-din install. I'm asking because I want to do the stereo this weekend and I want to get all the tools, etc. BEFORE I get started.

Also, I read a post where someone had diagrams for the tab locations on the dash plate... Are those same style tabs used on the door and rear panels also? I may tackle the speakers too, but it sounds like that could be dangerous DIY territory for a car I've owned for three days. I'm planning on using the HFtools plastic tab set. Other than breaking tabs I can't see how I can do much harm, right?

I love this car so far. I haven't done any fuel calcs yet, but I'll be sure to keep you guys posted. BTW, I love the post I read about these cars sounding like sewing machines. Without a stereo it's all I can think about when at a stop light. That's when I'm not blasting the A/C.

Well, I haven't done any mods yet, but I'm a VW (type 1) guy, turned jeep-head, turned ricer - so who knows what sort of trouble I'll find.

I did de-badge it - and oh yeah, I took the DH from HyunDai and set it to the side, cause that's my initials. I also stuck the Accent badge on my Cherokee. Fun stuff.

Mud flaps - I'm clueless here. I looked in the wheels wells; turns out I bought an eleven thousand dollar erector set. Any tips on buying/installing mud guards?

Can I change the oil/plugs/etc myself without voiding the warranty? Or do I need a "professional"?

Pics to come, I promise. Though there isn't much to see yet.

DH

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,890 Posts
Welcome!

The Accent's radio opening is larger than double-DIN - especially on the sides, so without a dash kit you'll have gaps surrounding the radio.  We only had a double-DIN install kit become available just last fall (Metra #95-7321, thread.)  Before that, I don't know what people were doing for brackets but I do know you either lived with the gap surrounding the unit or you had to custom fab a trim ring.  The kit makes installation a snap and it looks perfect. :thumbsup:

I threw in an Eclipse double-DIN a few weeks back, here's what the dash kit looks like in mine:

About tearing the dash apart, be VERY careful!  Breaking tabs should be the least of your worries, the scratches are what you have to look out for.  It will scratch easily!  Don't do what I did either, and let the sun bake the dash before you go tearing into it -- makes it that much easier to damage. :innocent:

I also have the OEM splash guards on mine but for the life of me can't remember for the life of me what the install entails, it's been 4 years now.  Nothing major, it was just some Philips screws IIRC..

And finally you aren't required to have all work done at the dealer...  But if you or an independent service center do any work on the car, save ALL receipts!  If Hyundai can't see proof that your vehicle was adequately maintained to their satisfaction, they could deny warranty coverage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

I just purchased a Pioneer AVX P4200 DVD. **** yeah. Who needs power windows when I got air conditioning and in-dash video? I'm going to install a reverse camera too I think - if I can get a wire out of the dash without ruining anything.

Thanks for the link on the install kit. Wish me luck - I'll post results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also wanted to add some info about my dash lights. I have to admit, I'm kind of **** about the situation, but I'm not about to rip my dash apart to change it.

So my speedo has the metric values greyed out (much like you've seen in other posts). The numbers aren't viewable at night at all. I'm not sure why hyundai did this, but like I said, it's just plain annoying.

Also, my dash has white light behind the guages, a green light for the ECO, and a blue light for the clock/odo. Since I didn't test drive my accent at night, I obviously didn't see the dash lights. Now (ten days later) I drive my car at night and SURPRISE - a half-assed display with non-matching lights.

I'm sure I have no recourse with Hyundai USA in this case, but it sure makes for an ugly cluster.

Anyone know why I have white cluster ligths instead of blue? Maybe the matching lights only come with the GLS? Anyhow, it's a cell phone pic - but here's the shotfrom last nite:

Attachments

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,890 Posts
I would bring it up to the dealer...  Seeing how others have their inner scale illuminated, I have to wonder if this is a flaw with a certain production run of clusters. :whistling:

I'm sure there is a federal standard somewhere for the manufacturer to include a metric scale visible on the speedometer, otherwise every manufacturer  wouldn't bother putting one there.  Much like how other countries have only km/h.

This would be irritating if you lived on a border state and frequently had to cross into Canada.  At night, you are stuck doing math to convert MPH down to km/h.

I wonder if any 2010 Canadian owners have their MPH scale lit?  

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'd do that, except the "dealer" didn't know crap about any of his cars. In fact, after arguing for a bit over the phone, I let the "dealer" try and find me a five speed Elantra GLS. He insisted he could get one from the facory. I said "Go for it. I'll give two grand over invoice if you can find one." Three hours later he called back with about fifteen excuses for why he was wrong. An hour after that his manager was kissing my **** and making me offers left and right.

Maybe I'll call Hyundai USA instead. I actually didn't think of the Canada equation - I'm planning on driving there (from Philly) in the spring. Now I'm actually mad. The meteric speedo is impossible to read during the day also - I just didn't think much of it until last nite.

I'll keep ya posted.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,890 Posts
Do call Hyundai and express your concern!  If enough people have this problem and they all complain, Hyundai should certainly issue a TSB...

And if your selling dealer isn't up to your standards, perhaps try to find another.  I have 3 I frequent, have had issues with them all at one point or another, so I know what the strong and weak points of them all are, so I go to certain ones for certain things.  :grin:

Back in the days of the mountain dew lighting, our Metric scale lit up bright and clear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Jul 8 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340021
Back in the days of the mountain dew lighting, our Metric scale lit up bright and clear.
I want your Mountain Dew Lighting. And a temp gauge too.

Oh well, I like the car and am getting 26 mpg with the a/c full blast. I'm planning some road trips (something I haven't done since gas was $2) and I'm psyched. I put my foot DOWN finally today (into some serious overdrive) and I was kinda impressed. Giddy up. (Though the ECO light did disappear for a few seconds hehe).

I called hyundai and filed a complaint about the speedo. I'll probably write a letter too. It's just odd IMO... Why would you do that? Are American drivers that ignorant as to confuse the two? Unfortunately I bet that's the case. There's an attorney somewhere to balme, I'm sure.

Also, I keep my dimmer down low inside - I'm a low light type of dude. That's why my cluster looks a little dry.

The other annoyance I have is I don't have a trunk release up front. I have to turn the engine off and take my key to the rear of the vehicle to unlock the trunk. I'm pretty sure my buddy's Rio5 (which is identical in so many ways) has a trunk release next to the gas release. I'd pay hundreds of dollars for that feature.

I have 2 dealers very close. Hopefully the next time I see them I trading this in years from now.

Oh yeah, I have a bumper sticker idea. Tell me what you think:

I'M NOT HYPERMILING, I'M JUST TRYING TO **** YOU OFF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a GS - which I think is the reason. Honestly, I don't ever remember seeing anywhere that the GS didn't include a metric speedo - so even though it's not that big of a deal, I'd call it shady if that were the case.

I'm also trying to confirm if the US (or any states) require the metric dial. That may not be the case, but if it is, that means our cars are "illegal"

I'll start a thread about this during the weekend - leave it to the new guy to rock the boat.

mmez - do you have a trunk release? Is your husband's car a 3-door? GS or GLS?

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (uno @ Jul 9 2010, 07:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340153
I have a GS - which I think is the reason. Honestly, I don't ever remember seeing anywhere that the GS didn't include a metric speedo - so even though it's not that big of a deal, I'd call it shady if that were the case.

I'm also trying to confirm if the US (or any states) require the metric dial. That may not be the case, but if it is, that means our cars are "illegal"

I'll start a thread about this during the weekend - leave it to the new guy to rock the boat.

mmez - do you have a trunk release? Is your husband's car a 3-door? GS or GLS?

My spare key states "Accent 3dr HB AT GS". My husbands says "Accent 4dr SON AT GLS". The 3dr does not have a trunk release, but my husband's 4dr does.

Maybe it is because one is a GS and the other is a GLS, I don't know, but I do know that I like his better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.