Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

Just ordered the timing belt kit too. Figured Now is the time to do it. Car has 110xxx miles and belts are all original. Timing belt doesn't look too bad, just have to align the 2 marks per a video I found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the car has 110k miles on the original timing belt then that should be your priority. In fact, I wouldn't even start the motor again until you replace it. The timing belt on these cars is supposed to be changed no more than 60k miles. The belt may not "look too bad" but that motor is running on borrowed time and if the belt breaks you'll likely be sending the car to the junk yard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yup, I'm aware of that. I don't know for a fact if the timing belt is factory or not, but I'd assume so with the general care of the vehicle.

It doesn't get driven hard or far. So I'll be sure to do all 4 belts.

Reactions: 12GLS3.5

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I was wrong 89k miles. Seemed higher for some reason.

Too many vehicles to keep track of! Doesn't help I own 3 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Chevy, I got a 2010 accent with 165xxx on it now. I had the screeching symptoms as well. Started only when car first started or if it was pretty cold out..
Slowly proceeded to every start up, every turn, if I wasnt at highway speeds... Shortly b4 I got the car all belts, coils and splugs were replaced..
I replaced P/S Pump after it blew one frigid night after work. Not even 2 months later car was screeching like a banshee again.. Fast forward a year and few months..
Latest Mechanic tells me Rack and Pin need replacing and that is whats putting the extra wear and tear on the P/S pump.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Appreciate the info. hope that isn't the case for my son's car. Only squeals on start up, and not every time. I didn't get to the belts this weekend, but I will have to do so before winter for sure. The sooner I get to it, the better. Maybe in a month. Going to need a Saturday to do it.

EDIT: I was wrong on the mileage on the car earlier, 89k.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Hey Chevy, I got a 2010 accent with 165xxx on it now. I had the screeching symptoms as well. Started only when car first started or if it was pretty cold out..
Slowly proceeded to every start up, every turn, if I wasnt at highway speeds... Shortly b4 I got the car all belts, coils and splugs were replaced..
I replaced P/S Pump after it blew one frigid night after work. Not even 2 months later car was screeching like a banshee again.. Fast forward a year and few months..
Latest Mechanic tells me Rack and Pin need replacing and that is whats putting the extra wear and tear on the P/S pump.
If the screeching happens when the engine is cold or when going full lock on the steering then the Water pump/Alt belt is too loose. The PS pump barely needs to turn to provide assist.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts