Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Did a little searching and found some videos on the serpentine belt.

Time to replace the serpentine belt and the ac/water pump belt on my son's 2010 accent.

Got belt #'s from rock auto:

water pump, pw steering teeth drive: DAYCO 17265

AC/idler ribbed: DAYCO 5040320

Jury is still out on those being 100% correct at this time (I have not ordered).

These are are nothing like what I'm used to seeing with an EASY tensioner. The ac/idler/alternator appear that the alternator is the "tensioner". Do I actually need to remove the mounting bolts on the alternator, or just use that long tensioner bolt?

No clue on the pwr steering/ water pump yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is actually the most helpful one, even though it's a elantra. I think the same applies (mostly). I just need to confirm the belts first and I'll get them ordered, doesn't look awful now:

The above elantra is a 2.0l son's is a 1.6l accent.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
The PS belt does not need to be tight at all. The ribbed water pump/alt belt does need to be tight. A good way to tell if the water pump/alt belt is NOT tight enough is you will get some PS pump slip when cold or at full lock. Or check the charging battery voltage as it will rise as the alt belt stops slipping.

You should only be able to twist the installed sep belt a 1/4 twist at the longest spot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well this engine appears to have this set up:

ribbed pwr steering belt - super shot, needs replacing asap. i noted it's quite loose. Car squeals on start up and full cranks.

normal serpentine belt - decent shape, but time to replace.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I'm going off my '08. It has three belts and two tensioners. One separate tensioner for AC and a flat ribbed belt. Flat ribbed belt for water pump/alt and a V belt for the PS. Tensioner by the alt for that belt. PS pump is just loosened to adjust tension. But it can be really loose and still work 100%.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to go double check it. Swear I only saw 2 belts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check it tonight. I need to get this straight.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think Hyundai may have started offering electric power steering for these cars in 2010, maybe? But, if you have a PS pump then it most certainly has 3 belts.
I have a 2010 and had a 2011 both with hydraulic power steering, I don’t think they would have offered that in the US and not in Canada.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mystery solved. Has 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got genuine #'s for alternator belt, pwr steering belt, no numbers left on the a/c belt. looking that up now.

I'm so used to 1 to 2 belts with easy tensioners. This is a different approach for sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ac/idler DAYCO 5040320

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see amazon has a 3 pack bando.

Also checked rock auto.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should probably look at doing the timing belt
too. Doesn’t look too awful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
And tighten the PS pump last as when you adjust the water pump/alt belt it affects the PS belt.
Thanks for the tip!

Just ordered the timing belt kit too. Figured Now is the time to do it. Car has 110xxx miles and belts are all original. Timing belt doesn't look too bad, just have to align the 2 marks per a video I found.

Reactions: 12GLS3.5
1 - 20 of 26 Posts