Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's easier than you think. The eagle-eyed Santa Fe owner will notice that Hyundai dropped the brake light functionality from the inner hatch lights for 2010. Annoyed by this, I looked into re-gaining this safety feature and while examining the wiring, I made a startling discovery. All Hyundai did was remove the wire running from the connection at the main bundle to the socket. They retained the dual-filament style socket but removed the brake light power contact from that socket. The wiring in the main bundle is all there and even a dual-filament bulb was fitted! All one has to do it remove the socket assembly (reverse and taillight combo) and fit the set from an '07 to an '09 model. It's all plug-and-play and NO modification is required so your warranty on those items remains in effect. :thumbsup: Not to mention there's no splicing, no second-guessing your electrical skills or hoping it works. It's VERY easy.

The part number for the new socket assembly is 92490-0W050 and you'll have to order two, one for each side. They're a bit expensive ($23 USD per side) but I think it's worth it. The sockets don't come with bulbs but you need not worry because the ones that came with your car will fit and work just fine. Thanks to contributions from other members, I now know that this mod will also work with the 2011 model.

Here is the write up!

You Will Need....
One 2010 or 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe
2 socket sets (part # 92490-0W050) - These are for the '07-'09 models. Do NOT buy a set for the 2010 model or you'll be right back to square one.
One long flat blade screwdriver
About five minutes of your time

1. Open the hatch and pop off the light access covers on each side. This is the only time you'll need that flat blade screwdriver.

2. Pull straight down on the white connector right in front of you. It should pop free but don't hesitate to give it a good yank if it refuses to budge.

3. Once the connector is free, press the release tab to separate it from the bundle. Turn both bulb sockets to release them from the housing and pull them free.

4. Remove both bulbs from the factory loom and fit them to the new one. See the photo below for a comparison. The standard 2010 setup is on the left and your new setup is on the right. While the wiring colors are different, rest assured they work just the same!

5. Here is the new loom attached to the connector in the car with both bulbs fitted.

6. Fit the sockets to the light unit first and then snap the connector back on the retaining clip.

7. Snap the cover back in place and do the other side.

8. Stand back and admire your handiwork. IMPORTANT! When you finish, make sure both reverse lights work. For some reason, one of mine didn't work after but once I pulled the bulb out and turned it around, it worked fine. I'm not sure why it did this as the contacts aren't directional but it is something to keep your eyes open for.

For comparison, here is the OEM setup. LAME!!!

And here is the end result! Much brighter and as a result, much safer. If anybody rear-ends you with this display, they shouldn't be driving. :grin: I apologize for how over-exposed this photo is. This car is virtually impossible to photograph with those inner brake lights on and not have it wash out. I've tried for months and this is the best I can do. Sorry.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Excellent! I wonder why the big H did this for the 2010, I know there is cost cutting, but how much would those two connectors really add up to? One could argue it's a detriment to the safety of the vehicle as it's less visible than previous model years.

It seems like a very simple modification to perform and I might well look into it. Did you just order the parts direct from your dealer, or did you get them elsewhere, if so, where?

·
3,861 Posts
Nice mod Andrew! I instantly liked the new tail lights on the 2010, I have Amber turn signal envy!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (markuswarren @ Nov 10 2010, 04:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370436
Excellent! I wonder why the big H did this for the 2010, I know there is cost cutting, but how much would those two connectors really add up to? One could argue it's a detriment to the safety of the vehicle as it's less visible than previous model years.

It seems like a very simple modification to perform and I might well look into it. Did you just order the parts direct from your dealer, or did you get them elsewhere, if so, where?
From what I can tell, they reduced the length of the wiring, probably to save money and some genius probably decided to eliminate the brake light wire, too. But to save a little more money, they used the same socket and bulb and left the main bundle the same to avoid costs in redesigning that, too. As my service advisor said, "Sometimes I don't think Hyundai knows why Hyundai does stuff." I'd bet they saved at most 2 cents per car by eliminating that wire. Over 75,000 cars, that does add up.

I got the part from the dealer which was a gamble because it was a special-order part and if it didn't work, I couldn't return them and would be out $46. I had a friend check the brake light lead (green with black stripe) before I ordered them and it showed 12 volts when I stepped on the brake pedal so that gave me a lot of confidence.

QUOTE (wymi @ Nov 10 2010, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370475
Nice mod Andrew! I instantly liked the new tail lights on the 2010, I have Amber turn signal envy!
Thanks! You know they'll fit your '09...:whistling:

Edit: Shameless plug for my discovery....I'm going to pin this for a while so it gets more exposure. Maybe if enough people do it we can shame Hyundai into a TSB.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've asked for a quote for 2 x of the required parts from my dealer, so we'll see what price they come back with and I'll post it up for comparison against the US pricing.

Any recommendations for third party sourcing of the parts, ideally Canada, but USA / UK would be ok (UK isn't too bad, I can get them delivered to a UK address and then forwarded over). I could always get them shipped to CBI in Niagara or get a border local dealer to order them and pop over to pick them up, but I'm rather lazy :D

As you might be able to tell, I'm itching to try this modification out.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me know if you go through with it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 10 2010, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370606
From what I can tell, they reduced the length of the wiring, probably to save money and some genius probably decided to eliminate the brake light wire, too. But to save a little more money, they used the same socket and bulb and left the main bundle the same to avoid costs in redesigning that, too. As my service advisor said, "Sometimes I don't think Hyundai knows why Hyundai does stuff." I'd bet they saved at most 2 cents per car by eliminating that wire. Over 75,000 cars, that does add up.

I got the part from the dealer which was a gamble because it was a special-order part and if it didn't work, I couldn't return them and would be out $46. I had a friend check the brake light lead (green with black stripe) before I ordered them and it showed 12 volts when I stepped on the brake pedal so that gave me a lot of confidence.

Thanks! You know they'll fit your '09...:whistling:

Edit: Shameless plug for my discovery....I'm going to pin this for a while so it gets more exposure. Maybe if enough people do it we can shame Hyundai into a TSB.
I think this has been done for safety reasons, I was sat behind a 2007 SF in heavy traffic the driver had his foot on the brake pedal at all times while stationary, with five stoplights hitting me in th face it was blinding me, I have since noticed several makes of later year hatch backs in the UK only utilise the outer two lights, Just a thought??.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Andrew,
How long did it take for the parts to come in due to them being special order? I've emailed a couple of local dealers for pricing info and am waiting to hear back, if I don't I'll physically visit the local dealer and see if they want to talk to me :D I'm still trying to locate somewhere online, preferably in Canada that sells the part, not having much luck. Some US places have it, but charge silly amounts for shipping, eg; US$40!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (gazza!!! @ Nov 19 2010, 03:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372956
I think this has been done for safety reasons, I was sat behind a 2007 SF in heavy traffic the driver had his foot on the brake pedal at all times while stationary, with five stoplights hitting me in th face it was blinding me, I have since noticed several makes of later year hatch backs in the UK only utilise the outer two lights, Just a thought??.

Gazza!!!
Perhaps but I think it's a safety thing. I'd much rather have it be too bright for somebody directly behind me than too dim for some guy barreling down on me when the freeway slows up with no warning. The previous generation Toyota 4Runner had LED brake lights that were painfully bright when you were behind him at a light but at a distance, man they got your attention!

QUOTE (markuswarren @ Nov 19 2010, 04:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372961
Andrew,
How long did it take for the parts to come in due to them being special order? I've emailed a couple of local dealers for pricing info and am waiting to hear back, if I don't I'll physically visit the local dealer and see if they want to talk to me :D I'm still trying to locate somewhere online, preferably in Canada that sells the part, not having much luck. Some US places have it, but charge silly amounts for shipping, eg; US$40!
If memory serves correctly, they came in pretty quickly and much faster than I expected. I don't think it took longer than three or four days...it was surprisingly quick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A quick update. I contacted a few local dealers via email (ironically the closest one has not answered a couple of the emails I've sent them in the past about other things) and the response back is that they can indeed order the part and it is CAD$38.25 + tax (13% HST for ON, so that's CAD$4.97 - total of 43.22) per item, so looks like it'll be CAD$86.45 all in.

I think this is probably still cheaper than ordering from somewhere online in the US given shipping charges.

I'm going to pop down to the dealer today and place my order.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ordered the correct, part opened the light door, and found the following. (2010 Limited model) Only one light plug going to the brake light not the two as pictured, and a large tube like thing on the left side of the access panel area. Was unable to find the marker light connector. Also the part I pulled out connected to the brake light was the reverse connector shown in the pic. mfg date is 7/2/10, maybe a change? At this point I am at a loss about how to proceed, any ideas.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (wireman @ Nov 27 2010, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375138
I ordered the correct, part opened the light door, and found the following. (2010 Limited model) Only one light plug going to the brake light not the two as pictured, and a large tube like thing on the left side of the access panel area. Was unable to find the marker light connector. Also the part I pulled out connected to the brake light was the reverse connector shown in the pic. mfg date is 7/2/10, maybe a change? At this point I am at a loss about how to proceed, any ideas.
Could you post a picture? Yours is only 3 days younger than mine so maybe there was a production change.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting. I'll have to actually look at my vehicle now. Ok, more fool me for not doing so before ordering the part if it won't work.

I'll try and have a look at mine tomorrow.

My Build date is Jul/12/10 (from the sticker on the inside of the door). I'll certainly post up what I find, good or bad, as we could build up a list of info as to what manufacture dates will allow this modification.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good morning all,
It was too dark and too cold for me to move my lazy arse outside to take some pictures and possibly have that "oh oh!" moment if I realize the connector won't fit.

Anyway, I've just been out, taken the LH and RH covers off and snapped a few pictures (sorry about the quality, iPhone was the only camera with a charged battery), which I've posted below. I *think* I'm ok, as in the connector will work. Andrew, if it's not too much trouble, could you cast your eyes over my pictures and see if they match what you have. From these old eyes it does look that way.

LH (passenger side)

access panel cover

connector in place

connector removed

socket in place

RH (driver side)

access panel cover

connector in place

connector removed

socket in place

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Markus...you are good to go!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is the right rear light connection area behind the panel. Shows only one light connector and an unknown tube like thing on the left.

Attachments

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're looking at the one on the inside of the car. With the hatch open, look on the interior trim panel on the tailgate and you'll see two square access panels on the outer edges just behind the tail/reverse lights. That is where you need to be. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts