Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a set of Bridgetone Turanza Serenity plus tires to replace my stock Michelins MXV4s. After the 5th visit to the shop to try and get the tires balanced, I was told that one of my wheels was slightly bent. This is the 2nd wheel that has bent since I've owned the car. I have a 114 mile a day commute mostly highway and have never hit a curb or large pot hole. Are steel wheels that weak? If so, I'll replace with aftermarket wheels. Any recommendations on brands to look for in stock wheel size 16 x 6.5? Thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Bents wheels...

I just purchased a set of Bridgetone Turanza Serenity plus tires to replace my stock Michelins MXV4s. After the 5th visit to the shop to try and get the tires balanced, I was told that one of my wheels was slightly bent. This is the 2nd wheel that has bent since I've owned the car. I have a 114 mile a day commute mostly highway and have never hit a curb or large pot hole. Are steel wheels that weak? If so, I'll replace with aftermarket wheels. Any recommendations on brands to look for in stock wheel size 16 x 6.5? Thanks
Questions: 1. How long have you owned the car in question? and 2. Is it possible that the wheels have been bent but never brought to your attention before now?

If the bend was not that obvious it is possible that the tires balanced okay and it was never brought to your attention. :eek: Bad tire dealer! Maybe?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I would say this is highly unusual. However, my personal recommendation would be to find some original equipment aluminum wheels. You can find these on ebay. I bought four there one time for $150.00 plus $100 shipping. I hated those plastic wheel covers.

Here is one on ebay so you can see what it looks like. Some of those aftermarket alloys can't be balanced properly. I had to take a set back to one of the big retailers and have my original steel wheels put back on. I eventually replaced all four with the Limited wheels and tires I purchased off ebay.

Hyundai Sonata 06 08 Alloy Wheel Rim Mag 16 x 6 5 70728 | eBay

You'll need to swap the TPMS valves into the new wheels regardless. That's not a big deal and any reputable tire and wheel shop can do it for a nominal fee. This auction says 06-08 models but I know of no reason it wouldn't fit your year model. But I stand to be corrected. You may have to replace your lug nuts, however. Not sure about that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
himilcyclr - 1. I've owned it since Mar 2011. 2. Of course it's possible, just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with their steel wheels. Not sure I'd say it was a bad shop but more of a lazy technician. Most guys I know watch the wheel on the balance machine to pick out the anomalies on the rim, apparently this technician hadn't. The new technician did first time out, but said it wasn't bad enough for me to feel it.

rmissourimule - Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at them tomorrow and do more searching.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Craigbrooks - I don't disagree that the tire guys missed the bent wheels. I'm curious as to why I've experienced it twice since buying my car. Are the newer steel wheels inferior in quality? My cars has 103451 miles on it, mostly highway and I'm usually the only driver. My wife may drive it once in a while, but she normally takes her car.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Don't know what to say....you are the first if I'm not mistaken to report this situation.
Buy new wheels and document the progress. Sounds like you've gotten your monies worth out of the OEM's.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Bent wheel...

himilcyclr - 1. I've owned it since Mar 2011. 2. Of course it's possible, just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with their steel wheels. Not sure I'd say it was a bad shop but more of a lazy technician. Most guys I know watch the wheel on the balance machine to pick out the anomalies on the rim, apparently this technician hadn't. The new technician did first time out, but said it wasn't bad enough for me to feel it.

rmissourimule - Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at them tomorrow and do more searching.
I mentioned #2 because I had a similar situation with my Dodge Van. I had 2 sets of tires replace by the same "big" tire store and then bought the third replacement set from Costco who noticed the bent wheel right off. the second set went bad due to an alignment issue. I had been the only driver and knew I had not hit anything to bend a wheel. Like you say, tech over the store.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One wheel was noticed when I bought the 2nd set of tires and now the other was noticed this time. My Sonata has only been aligned once (taken in every 6K miles since I have lifetime alignment) but always in spec. I'm looking for aftermarket wheels now since I hate knowing a rim is bent even if it's only slightly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update - I had new Moda MD 17 wheels from Tirerack put on today and most of the vibration is gone. After the tires were removed form the factory steel wheels, it looks like all of them have some amount of bend (meaning wobble) to them. Two have a slight wobble, two have a more pronounced wobble.

While going over the vehicle the tech discovered that the left half shaft has a lot of play which he believes could be the cause of the vibration. Looking for an opinion on that from some of the more mechanically inclined members. I decided to try the vehicle as is, before deciding to replace the half shaft. If I do replace the half shaft would it be wise to replace both at the same time?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've only had 1 bent steel wheel in 40 years of driving. This was from a crash into that wheel. It was a chrome steel wheel much to my dismay. So I took it to a wheel shop that straightened it. I was impressed. I didn't think the steel wheels would straighten. I may just have had a bend that was fixable, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Find a wheel shop and see if they can fix it. It's worth a try.

I think you'll find that the alloy wheels bend MUCH easier than a steel wheel. If I had an alloy instead of the steel wheel that got crashed into it would have destroyed it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never had a bent wheel ever and I'm Retired Law Enforcement. I've been rougher on cars (except this one) than most people I know. I do drive spirited, but have never done anything that would have bent the wheel. No J-turns, foward 180's, jumping curbs, hitting potholes, etc.

My tire guy told me the newer steel wheels are junk. Now that I've had 5 Hyundai wheels bend, I can't argue with him. I'm hoping these wheels will be stronger than the steel, but only time will tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts