Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I had a quick question if you can help me with something. I have a 2009 Sonata V6, I bought is used at around 48K miles and it has about 52500 right now.

The issue i have been having is when the car is cold, kept overnight, started in the morning, till the time it warms up it has a jerky shift between gears 1 -> 2, i had brought this up to the service manager at the dealership and they couldn't find any issue and at the time a few months back i was told all the TSB's are up to date and the AT software version was also up to date.

I am about 10 days away from getting out of the 5 year warranty for the 2nd owner and wanted to know if there are any additional TSB's, i just saw this TSB "13-AT-016" that might be related but i am not sure as i cannot get a hand on the PDF of the TSB.

Anything else i should be doing at this time ??

The transmission fluid seemed red and didn't seem very dark either indicating a contaminated transmission fluid, I am not sure how the previous owner drove the car (short trips vs longer trips etc) so i am not sure if i should go ahead and have the transmission fluid flushed/refilled at this time.

Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The issue i have been having is when the car is cold, kept overnight, started in the morning, till the time it warms up it has a jerky shift between gears 1 -> 2, ...
Does this happen after every cold start?
This is not normal. I would leave it with Hyundai Service overnight. I would ask them to leave the car outside (in the cold), and not start it until you come in the next morning. Then, in your presence, start and drive the car. Hopefully they will observe the jerky shift between gears and it will be documented before the warranty expires.

After that, I would have the transmission oil flushed and changed.

Not that it's related, but I would also have the coolant flushed and changed. Perhaps the power steering also, if they are original.
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happens on most cold starts, i had taken it to the dealer and had left it with him a couple times and the next morning it didn't do it when we took the test drive. So they sent me back. They had checked the ECM / TCM software version and found the most recent one to be in the system about 6 months back, i dont see any new ECM/TCM software updates there after that i can locate.

it seems like the car transmission is shifting jerky when the transmission fluid is cold, once the fluid warms up the shifts are close to normal like it would be to any other car (my comparison is to a 2010 Camry LE). The jerkiness of the shifts is primarily felt when the fluid is cold and u r going slow like around 10-20 mph and just getting started from a stop light, if u push the pedal and keep increasing the speeds, the 1->2 shift is semi-evident, so less the speed you are at getting out of a stop the more evident this is.

Do you think I should go ahead with changing the Transmission Fluid anyways based on the mileage of the car ? I hear there are 2 different ways of either changing all the fluid or changing a partial amount of fluid.

Do you think changing the transmission fluid might help with something like since the car is already at 52k and has stock transmission fluid ?? If so should i change it with Hyundai Auto-Transmission Fluid OR Castrol Multi-Import ATF Fluid ?? I read through some of the forum posts that Castrol Multi-Import ATF helps with transmission shifting performance compared to the OEM ATF Fluid.

I am thinking about preferably doing this at the dealer vs doing it at a local shop since the price difference wont be a lot and i dont want the transmission to be screwed after the fluid change just to save a few bucks.

Thanks for all you help.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
What percentage of the time is the car transmission jerky after a cold start?

If I were you, I'd want the dealer to see/experience this problem before the warranty expires. So, I'd probably leave the car with them for a week of cold starts in hopes the problem will happen one of those times for them.

After that, I'd have a complete transmission fluid change and have the dealer do it.

I'm no mechanic, but that's what I'd do.
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issue is felt more when you leave the car around overnight, i have been trying to find as much information on this as possible and from what i read it seems like Hyundai ATF cold weather characteristics are not very great. I read somewhere that Castrol Multi-Import ATF is also compatible and yields much better cold weather shifting compared to Hyundai ATF.

Another symptom i have seen is, if you drive the car around after the first start, warm it up for 10-15 mins drive, during the entire initial drive you will not get a good shift between 1 -> 2, However if you shut the car down and restart it after 10-15 mins, the shift quality feels much improved so it feels like the temperature of the fluid and its corresponding viscosity has some effect on the overall shifting as well. This is what i found from one of the posts on Bobistheoilguy (First Hyundai Elantra ATF Change ? | ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S | Bob Is The Oil Guy)

The problem with leaving the car at the dealer for a week is that the car is my wife's daily drive and she i don't think can be without a car for a week. Moreover the service manager at the dealer has been very good and has already everything documented extensively over my previous 2 visits, he has been a very nice guy but he says there is nothing he can do about it, so as long as documentation goes its already done and in the system while the car was under warranty.

If i get the fluid changed at the dealer i doubt they would use the Castrol ATF and i don't feel like doing the ATF fluid change with Hyundai ATF fluid based on its cold weather characteristics giving not so great shifting, and i suspect i will end up with the same type of shifting even with the new fluid from the dealer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMO, i don't think a tranny fluid change will help you get rid of the problem, but you can try it out as a first step since it's not that expensive and see if it fixes the problem for you

I'm thinking more along the lines of maybe the pressure control solenoid being worn or faulty. It exerts the same type of sympton in that it may not control the pressure inside the transmission properly and causes the 'hard shift' you are experiencing. Unfortunately, the solenoid is not easy to get to and most likely you need to open up the transmission to get to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO, i don't think a tranny fluid change will help you get rid of the problem, but you can try it out as a first step since it's not that expensive and see if it fixes the problem for you

I'm thinking more along the lines of maybe the pressure control solenoid being worn or faulty. It exerts the same type of sympton in that it may not control the pressure inside the transmission properly and causes the 'hard shift' you are experiencing. Unfortunately, the solenoid is not easy to get to and most likely you need to open up the transmission to get to it.
Would that be the kind of symptom that would go away after the car is warmed up ?? if the solenoid is worn or faulty would it only evident on cold starts and go away if you drive around for a half hour ?? i would think if the solenoid is work or faulty it would pretty much do it consistently at all temperatures, wouldnt it ??

somewhere on another forum from a few years back i read someone having a similar issue and they test drove a couple other fairly new but used Sonata V6's of that model year and they both showed that kind of characteristic as well. very confusing though.

I am probably going to start with a transmission fluid drain and refill since it is probably going to be the cheapest and would get out close to 50% of the fluid and will take it from there. I read it takes about 6 Qts of fluid on a drain and fill and since it is 52k miles (my wife does a lot of short trips on a day to day basis) so i think it wouldn't hurt either ways to have some new fluid at this mileage on the car..

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 09 sonata I4 Engine I also have this problem, I have had my car for about a year and a half, Its done it since the day I have gotten the car, I Changed out the transmission fluid which seems to help a little. Same thing you have jerky transmission from gear 1 to 2, Mine only does it when its a cold start. Also when you start the car in the morning let it sit for about a minuet before you put it in gear I have found that when you do this the issues usually does not happen. Fell free to ask me any questions I hoped I helped somewhat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 09 sonata I4 Engine I also have this problem, I have had my car for about a year and a half, Its done it since the day I have gotten the car, I Changed out the transmission fluid which seems to help a little. Same thing you have jerky transmission from gear 1 to 2, Mine only does it when its a cold start. Also when you start the car in the morning let it sit for about a minuet before you put it in gear I have found that when you do this the issues usually does not happen. Fell free to ask me any questions I hoped I helped somewhat
When you changed your transmission fluid, Did you do a Full Flush OR Drain and Fill ??

What kind of transmission fluid did you use ?? and how many qts ??

I spoke to my local mechanic and he suggested a drain and fill to start with, and i am planning on going with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle which is SPIII compliant as well. Should take about 6qts for a drain and fill from what i have seen. The car is at 52k miles and i think the transmission fluid from the previous owner would never have been changed. my mechanic told me its a good time to change it and know that it was done once.

Doing a partial drain and fill is not very expensive either, once i get it done i will update here what the results are. I am not very optimistic it will fix the issue but one way or another it is pretty inexpensive to change the fluid and see how far i can go to fix this issue now that my warranty would expire shortly and I am on my own with this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When you changed your transmission fluid, Did you do a Full Flush OR Drain and Fill ??

What kind of transmission fluid did you use ?? and how many qts ??

I spoke to my local mechanic and he suggested a drain and fill to start with, and i am planning on going with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle which is SPIII compliant as well. Should take about 6qts for a drain and fill from what i have seen. The car is at 52k miles and i think the transmission fluid from the previous owner would never have been changed. my mechanic told me its a good time to change it and know that it was done once.

Doing a partial drain and fill is not very expensive either, once i get it done i will update here what the results are. I am not very optimistic it will fix the issue but one way or another it is pretty inexpensive to change the fluid and see how far i can go to fix this issue now that my warranty would expire shortly and I am on my own with this.
I use the Genuine hyundai fluid I Believe it is Spec III, I would highly recommend using hyundais fluid, I just drained it and refilled but then about a week later I drained and refilled it again just for extra. When i drained and filled it I bought about 9 quarts and I was able to drain and refill twice, You have the v6 so I know that takes more ATF.

If you do change it out and it does not make any changes, At least you changed it out because it is supposed to be changed every 30k anyways

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the Genuine hyundai fluid I Believe it is Spec III, I would highly recommend using hyundais fluid, I just drained it and refilled but then about a week later I drained and refilled it again just for extra. When i drained and filled it I bought about 9 quarts and I was able to drain and refill twice, You have the v6 so I know that takes more ATF.

If you do change it out and it does not make any changes, At least you changed it out because it is supposed to be changed every 30k anyways
On a Scale of 1-10 (1 is least improvement and 10 is most) How much did changing the transmission fluid help with the jerkiness on your car ??

·
Registered
149 Posts
On a Scale of 1-10 (1 is least improvement and 10 is most) How much did changing the transmission fluid help with the jerkiness on your car ??
From my personal experience I would say a 6. It seems to happen a lot less and again like I said in my previous post let the car warm up for a little longer and that may also resolve the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What was the mileage on the odometer when you changed the transmission fluid ??

Thank you for all your responses and helping me out ..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have similar symptoms on my car, it only happens when its cold, and in the first few miles, once the car is warm this doesn't occur. I would describe the shifting not as jerky but firm and not as smooth as when its warm. I am running castrol multi-import atf, so i don't think fluid change will fix this. Cold starts (under 30 F ) my car idles at around 1700 while in park, it drops to less than 1000 when warm, usually i wait till i am under 1500 before I start driving. Personally i am not concerned with this and just accelerate slower than normal until the car has is fully warmed up. The firm shifts only happen if I accelerate fast during the warm up period.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have similar symptoms on my car, it only happens when its cold, and in the first few miles, once the car is warm this doesn't occur. I would describe the shifting not as jerky but firm and not as smooth as when its warm. I am running castrol multi-import atf, so i don't think fluid change will fix this. Cold starts (under 30 F ) my car idles at around 1700 while in park, it drops to less than 1000 when warm, usually i wait till i am under 1500 before I start driving. Personally i am not concerned with this and just accelerate slower than normal until the car has is fully warmed up. The firm shifts only happen if I accelerate fast during the warm up period.
Completely Agree with you on that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What was the mileage on the odometer when you changed the transmission fluid ??

Thank you for all your responses and helping me out ..
I got the car with 50K on it and I ended changing the ATF at 60K miles

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
...I Changed out the transmission fluid which seems to help a little.
If you did a complete flush, do you think it might have helped more?

...so as long as documentation goes its already done and in the system while the car was under warranty.
That's good.

If i get the fluid changed at the dealer i doubt they would use the Castrol ATF and i don't feel like doing the ATF fluid change with Hyundai ATF fluid based on its cold weather characteristics giving not so great shifting, and i suspect i will end up with the same type of shifting even with the new fluid from the dealer.
I can't believe the Hyundai ATF is the cause of your problem, except for it's age and perhaps the previous driver's driving habits. Otherwise many more Hyundai owners would have this problem. Also, if you use another brand ATF, and the AT fails, the dealer may not honor any warranty based on the use of the non Hyundai ATF.

It's time, or past time, to service the AT (unless you know the previous owner did). That's why I initially suggested doing it. And was thinking perhaps this would help solve your issue. IMO, if changing some of the oil helped 09sonata, than I think changing all the oil would help more. The AT is a very expensive part to repair/replace. I would spend the extra money for a complete flush. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
John

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you did a complete flush, do you think it might have helped more?

That's good.

I can't believe the Hyundai ATF is the cause of your problem, except for it's age and perhaps the previous driver's driving habits. Otherwise many more Hyundai owners would have this problem. Also, if you use another brand ATF, and the AT fails, the dealer may not honor any warranty based on the use of the non Hyundai ATF.

It's time, or past time, to service the AT (unless you know the previous owner did). That's why I initially suggested doing it. And was thinking perhaps this would help solve your issue. IMO, if changing some of the oil helped 09sonata, than I think changing all the oil would help more. The AT is a very expensive part to repair/replace. I would spend the extra money for a complete flush. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
John
Agree with you John he may be better off doing a flush in his situation. And have hyundai diagnose the car while it is there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i had similar jerkiness in 2 other cars I drive / drove before. It's usually something with the transmission mechanism or the solenoid being worn. Either you change out these components or learn to live with it, as per the previous poster said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to try and get the fluid change done in a few days and i will report back here if it changes anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts