Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I went to the local dealership to have a rear-end squeak investigated on my 2009 Sonata GLS (2.4L-4cyl Automatic) with 25K miles. The squeak has yet to be resolved, however while I was there, the service manager told me of a new TSB for my vehicle that just came out on June 9, 2010. The TB7 Campaign 10BA23R0 pertains to the ECM module with regard to automatic transaxles. No further information was given by the either the service manager or mechanic regarding this TSB other than it being a software update for shifting issues. Have not noticed any significant changes in behavior as of yet, but looking forward to next trip into Colorado Rocky Mountains where I have experienced some unusual shifting behaviors in the past. Will follow up within next few weeks after I check it out in the mountains and on the highways.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your dealer is a bit slow....

2009 people have downshift concern, no program.... Assist says to tell GDS you working with 2010 car, and install the 2010 ECM & TCM update package to the 2009. Done a load of 2009 with the 2010 update.

Move forward to May 2010, new TSB for combo 2009/2010 program combo....

Now June 2010, campaign to install the May TSB as recall....

DESCRIPTION:

This bulletin provides a procedure to update the ECM and TCM software to the most recent versions to revise:

• Acceleration feel from a stop or below 15 mph

• Shift quality when decelerating to a stop at about 30 mph when the ATF is cold

****** 10BA23R0 has no meaning to the tech, only to the Warranty Clerk when filing claim to get paid by Hyundai Motor Company --> (labor operation code)

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Driving a 1965 Chev Impala? Hey, you're in the WRONG forum, son.....

But hey, come to think of it, good to have a guy who knows the Sonata from the INSIDE OUT, for a change....

So now, sbr711, dump the Impala, buy a Sonata, NF Sonata, I mean, and be family!

:gitara: :gitara: :gitara:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 14 2010, 08:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333025
Your dealer is a bit slow....

2009 people have downshift concern, no program.... Assist says to tell GDS you working with 2010 car, and install the 2010 ECM & TCM update package to the 2009. Done a load of 2009 with the 2010 update.

Move forward to May 2010, new TSB for combo 2009/2010 program combo....

Now June 2010, campaign to install the May TSB as recall....

DESCRIPTION:

This bulletin provides a procedure to update the ECM and TCM software to the most recent versions to revise:

• Acceleration feel from a stop or below 15 mph

• Shift quality when decelerating to a stop at about 30 mph when the ATF is cold

****** 10BA23R0 has no meaning to the tech, only to the Warranty Clerk when filing claim to get paid by Hyundai Motor Company --> (labor operation code)

Not sure that dealer is THAT slow since this issue just recently became a recall. Have not been to dealer in 6 months since I purchased vehicle and only spoke to them over the phone regarding mountain downshifting issues. I did think this was a new fix for 2009 Sonata shifting issues, again dealership could/would not go into more detail regarding this recall and I did not see anything pertaining to this specific issue in the TSB posted elsewhere on this forum. I saw the TSB for V6's but nothing for I4's.

Is the above ALL that is being fixed with this recall? Seems like a minor repair to qualify for a recall.

I was not sure what the "10BA23R0" was, but included it since it was on the work order. Thanks for clearing that up as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
TSBs aren't recalls really. Recalls are ususally safety related and require owner notification by mail and involvment with the government.

TSBs or Technical Service Bulletins is how Hyundai lets dealerships know of fixes to commonly occuring consumer concerns. They basically say if a customer comes in with this concern heres what to do.

All TSBs are listed at www.hmaservice.com. It is free to register and view. Most manufacturers aren't this open with thier service info.

Toyota got in trouble recently because they were trying to deal with thier accelration issues 'in house' rather than escelating it to the point of getting the feds involved with a recall.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (afob3 @ Jun 15 2010, 07:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333134
All TSBs are listed at www.hmaservice.com. It is free to register and view. Most manufacturers aren't this open with thier service info.
Thanks for the info. When I tried to register, it asked which vehicle(s) I owned. What are the 2 letter/number designations after the model name referring to?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The TSB is 10-AT-007-1 dated May 2010. It is an update of an April TSB hence the -1.

I plan to have my 09 updated since it periodically shows the hard shift but had to cancel a previous appt.

Anybody have it done??
Results?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (lmvine @ Jun 15 2010, 11:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333160
The TSB is 10-AT-007-1 dated May 2010. It is an update of an April TSB hence the -1.

I plan to have my 09 updated since it periodically shows the hard shift but had to cancel a previous appt.

Anybody have it done??
Results?

Been chronicled above, I been doing the 2009 since probably Jan of this yr.. have not heard of any customers coming back yet..

As noted 2009 had no update, instructed to install 2010 update

May 2010, GDS update included revised program to recognize 2009/2010 cars

June 2010, recall TB7 that is to install the May 2010 revised program ---> TSB 10-01-023 ,,,,, see if this is on your FREE account...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
NF = 06 to 10 Sonatas. It's the designation Hyundai gives to each model. I think EF = the new 2011 Sonatas. My former 05 Elantra was known as XD

BTW just a bit of trivia... The leter designation is engraved at the top of your key just below the plastic. :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (afob3 @ Jun 15 2010, 07:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333316
NF = 06 to 10 Sonatas. It's the designation Hyundai gives to each model. I think EF = the new 2011 Sonatas. My former 05 Elantra was known as XD

BTW just a bit of trivia... The leter designation is engraved at the top of your key just below the plastic. :)
Thank you, I was looking for it in VIN and never thought to check key. :grin:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (afob3 @ Jun 15 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333316
NF = 06 to 10 Sonatas.
CORRECT

I think EF = the new 2011 Sonatas.
INCORRECT , the correct answer is "YF"

"EF" = 1999 - 2005 SONATA

My former 05 Elantra was known as XD

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had my chip or module flashed a few months ago. Downshifts are fine, what I do notice if I am idling like parked and go from reverse to drive, it sometimes surges. Dealer cleared shift point or something. But I noticed it may be starting again. I will monitor this and maybe mention to my dealer next time I get an oil change.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (afob3 @ Jun 15 2010, 06:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333316

My key just has an 'E' but oddly enough, the oil drain plug (of all things) has the 1st Generation Santa Fe model code, SM, stamped into it. I'm sure there's a reason why but it just struck me as odd.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (lmvine @ Jun 15 2010, 09:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333160

Anybody have it done??
Results?
Since having mine done a week ago, I have noticed better downshifting overall. The car used to lug in a higher gear when coasting to a stop and such, that seems to have gone away. Downshifting under acceleration up mountain inclines has also improved, not as jerky or hesitant as I first experienced. I'm really enjoying this car in the mountains, as the I4 has more than enough power to ascend both sides of the I-70 approach to the Eisenhower/Jefferson tunnels under the continental divide and good MPG to boot. Looking forward to see how it handles Vail pass in the coming weeks.

BTW, the resolution to the rear-end squeak appears to be the shocks, at least that was the mechanic's diagnosis after an extensive second look at it today. The dealership is replacing both rear shocks next week under warranty, hopefully that will resolve the only problem I have had so far. (Knocking on wood three times.) :wink2:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Here is the new recall TB7 (PCM/TCM update) that replace #160 & 161 for the 2010 -

I made effort to capture them this morning for you all --

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335845
Here is the new recall TB7 (PCM/TCM update) that replace #160 & 161 for the 2010 -

I made effort to capture them this morning for you all --
Thank you, sbr711. Feel free to let us know about any future TSB/Issues you happen to come across. I, for one, appreciate your helpful posts.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Actionman,
Describe the squeak and let us know if the shocks fix it. I have a squeak which took a long time to find of course. Turns out I have a broken weld for the trunk latch support right behind the license plate. With the plate off if you move the trunk lid by lifting it the whole small circle moves and causes a metal squeak. I'll try to get a pic of it for you. Car goes in tomorrow AM for a list of issues this being one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Sequoiasoon @ Jun 27 2010, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336649
Actionman,
Describe the squeak and let us know if the shocks fix it. I have a squeak which took a long time to find of course. Turns out I have a broken weld for the trunk latch support right behind the license plate. With the plate off if you move the trunk lid by lifting it the whole small circle moves and causes a metal squeak. I'll try to get a pic of it for you. Car goes in tomorrow AM for a list of issues this being one.
Hmmm ... Can you hear the squeak with all windows closed? That's what tipped me off to my squeak, I only hear it when a window is open. Drove all winter with only the normal thunking of the suspension. My squeak occurs over bumps/potholes starting at around 25/30 MPH, after the rear goes over a bump/pothole, a very high pitched squeak is heard, sometimes multiple squeaks over a larger obstacle. It always seemd to be suspension related, dealer checked all suspension bushings and the exhaust mounting system and could not find anything. They even thought it was wheel covers but that also was a red herring.

I did remove license plate and moved trunk around but nothing moved or squeaked. By "whole small circle moves" you meant the circle which contains the plate mount holes? The only movement I could get was a very slight movement of the plastic casing of the latch on the trunk, but not the actual latch itself.

Thanks for your ideas, let me know if your squeak is resolved today. Tomorrow my car goes in for rear shock replacement, will let you know if squeak is finally gone.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Actionman,
Mine was squeaking over bumps all speeds and you could hear it inside the car with windows closed. There is a small spot weld/depression almost directly center behind the plate. With my trunk closed if you push around it you see the rest of the metal move but the spot weld. A little but of Boeshield T9 has kept it quiet for a decent amount of time. Paint is slightly chipped/cracked around it.

They are going to have the car for a couple days before I get it back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts