Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been having some weird problems with transmission for probably the last 5,000 miles or so. I have 65K and some change on it now. When the car is driven first thing in the morning or when cold, the downshift from 2nd to 1st at a stop sign is very rough. Once the car warms up (half hour or so) then it is fine and I do not notice any problems.

I haven't done the 30K flush on this yet, so I was just considering doing the fluid/filter change now to cover my bases. Any issues with this? Will this help the issue or is there something more important going on?

Please let me know if anyone needs more info. :confused:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Visit the dealer.. suspect you have the 4 cylinder car and you have not had the couple year ago PCM / TCM update packeage done yet..

I though everybody already had the update done, for a while we was doing a bunch of them a week..

Program 184 and 185 to be done if offered in ECU UPGRADE during search, both to be done following prompts on GDS,, do the update with egine/trans at full operating temp, be ABSOLUTELY SURE that they reset the adaptive learn after doing the updates, otherwise the stupid shift habit still be in the system.. make sure they can show you a screen shot of each program completed and a screenshot of the adaptive learn reset all attached to service ticket for their records.. make sure they show you each print showing update complete for PCM (184) and TCM (185), and a print for the adaptive learn complete.. they dont have it, tell them to do it again so you can see proof the work was done proper..

After adaptive reset while still hot, they should do a test drive to start the learn process for you to clean up the initial shifting before return of car to customer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Visit the dealer.. suspect you have the 4 cylinder car and you have not had the couple year ago PCM / TCM update packeage done yet..

I though everybody already had the update done, for a while we was doing a bunch of them a week..

Program 184 and 185 to be done if offered in ECU UPGRADE during search, both to be done following prompts on GDS,, do the update with egine/trans at full operating temp, be ABSOLUTELY SURE that they reset the adaptive learn after doing the updates, otherwise the stupid shift habit still be in the system.. make sure they can show you a screen shot of each program completed and a screenshot of the adaptive learn reset all attached to service ticket for their records.. make sure they show you each print showing update complete for PCM (184) and TCM (185), and a print for the adaptive learn complete.. they dont have it, tell them to do it again so you can see proof the work was done proper..

After adaptive reset while still hot, they should do a test drive to start the learn process for you to clean up the initial shifting before return of car to customer.
I do have the I4. Should the dealer be able to tell me if my car has been updated or not? Is this something that should have been covered by a recall or should I expect to pay for it?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I do have the I4.
I could tell via the description of concern, but you might could edit your "DRIVES" to reflect 2009 Sonata 2.4 so we know at a glance what we got

Should the dealer be able to tell me if my car has been updated or not?
Yes, 2 way to do it... first is quick inspect of warranty claims on Hyundai WEBDCS,, looking for past claim,, 2nd be to plug in GDS, and head straight to ECU UPGRADE, select engine, and let it read the ROM ID,, if program available for install, it'll pop up in the event menu for install,, you can select engine or trans first, but I always do the engine first, then follow prompts and do the trans 2nd..

Is this something that should have been covered by a recall or should I expect to pay for it?
That would depend on what show up on WEBDCS.. A few yr back, Hyundai actually did a recall on small VIN range, while the remainder were that were out there were done under a TSB procedure (same as recall procedure).

I took a look at the Service site, I see the recall is still open, so you might get lucky and get it taken care of at Hyundai Motor Co expense, but dont hold me to that.. Depend on what come up on Hyundai Warranty screen..

-- DESCRIPTION:

This bulletin provides a procedure to update the ECM and TCM software to the most recent versions to revise:

• Acceleration feel from a stop or below 15 mph
• Shift quality when decelerating to a stop at about 30 mph when the ATF is cold

APPLICABLE VEHICLES:

Model: 2009 and 2010 Sonata 2.4L (NFA) vehicles with automatic transaxles

Production date range: 12/17/2007~10/5/2009

Send me VIN

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Send me VIN
Sbr711, I sent you a PM. Should I go ahead and get the ATF fluid/filter changed on this first before I go to the dealer? It did check the fluid the other day and it smells burnt to me, but isn't super dark. It looks a little darker than fresh motor oil.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Clean ATF never killed a transmission.. old oil ruins seals, coats fiber discs with varnish and change friction co-efficient of the fiber discs to steel plate grab characteristics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sbr, do you happen to have any numbers identifying that recall? I just talked to Hyundai and they don't see anything in their system for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clean ATF never killed a transmission.. old oil ruins seals, coats fiber discs with varnish and change friction co-efficient of the fiber discs to steel plate grab characteristics.
Well, got the fluid changed yesterday. The guy said it wasn't horrible but it needed done. The problem is now worse than it was before. The dealer I bought the car from wants $48 for a half hour of diagnostics.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi sbr711, I found your post from 8 years ago about the 2009 Sonata Downshift problem. We bought our Sonata, new, and after 8 years it's only at 19,000 miles. I'm a retired old fart. I found the info to have the TCM updated by TSB 184 and 185. We took it to a dealer in Lafayette Indiana, they said they did the update, but now the rough shift is more pronounced than when we took it in. Today I wrote Hyundai and asked if this was the current fix and they replied – “We have no record of your Sonata being affected by TSB 184 or 185.”
From what I see on the web, the problems people are having are exactly the same as ours.
Even after 8 years and 19,000 miles it just started having this problem about 2 months ago. Cold in Indiana this time of year and the car only did it when stopping before Trans was well warmed up. No problem after warm up – until next morning.
I also saw ZDog377’s remarks about resetting the Adaptive learn after doing the updates.
Our Sonata VIN is 5NPET46C59H571991 if that helps. I paid to have the first one done. It’s still under the 100k and 10 year warranty but the TCM isn’t internally lubed – so no warranty on that.
Any hints about how I can be sure they do it right the next time? Dealer is 10 miles away and I won’t know if it’s fixed until the next cold morning.

Thanks – Very Much!
Mike 915w

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Only way you know it was done my way is to sit there and watch fella do the work..

Car blazing hot :

Complete fault code search of all on board modules looking for DTC in PCM, TCM, ABS/ESC

Remedy DTC's as needed

Update engine with event 184 on GDS

Update TCM with event 185 on GDS

Dont remember if scan needed after, some programs shut off COMM,, and codes need erased

Reset A/T adaptive while still hot

Test drive while hot to start learn process, return car to customer

If all well, should not notice downshift "bump" when slowing down to stop across 20 MPH when engine-trans cold..

If it persist,, trans replacement been the only solution from what I understand

1 - 12 of 12 Posts