Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did make a custom short air intake for my 2009 Sonata, all I had to do is remove the air box and attach a Cummings generator conical air filter, and attached it directly like in the pictures below, and after that I did reset the ECU to accept the changes in the airflow, and the vehicle sounds much better now and the acceleration has improved, I only have one glitch here, I had to detach the ECU, and I am afraid that it might overheat since there's no air to cool it down anymore, any ideas about that, since I live in Baghdad - Iraq and its very hot out here

Please Share your Ideas

Laith

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not sure about the ECU, SBR could better answer that question for you, but if you start having computer issues then I would find a way to get some air onto the ECU. I noticed the sand in the engine compartment and was wondering how does the Sonata hold up in such an extreme environment as the desert? I would imagine that the heat/sand/wind/etc. would wreck havoc on the paint job. Do they also significantly impact the engine compartment as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it’s not really "desert" here in Iraq, but we do have a lot of Sand Storms coming from the west and south west, the paint job has some imperfections due to the weather, but the Sonata is a very popular vehicle here, also is the Elentra, the Gen Coupe is a whole new car and there's only a few of them, most of the Hyundai's here are being brought directly from Korea at least the new ones are.
Regarding the ECU thing, I am sure if I run the vehicle like this for long times, I will fry the ECU, Please I would appreciate any ideas regarding the ECU.

Thanks for your input ActionMan

·
Registered
356 Posts
Seems like a bad idea to me. You're sucking hot air into the engine and your ECU is going to fry. The extra intake growl might sound a little better, but I doubt there is a positive affect on power. In fact, it might reduce power. You're bringing in more air, but it's hot air that is less dense. For the negligible gains you're getting in power and sound, I would not risk frying a very expensive ECU. I don't think replacing one is easy either - you probably have to go to the dealer to get a new one programmed and integrated into the car.

I'm all for mods that look, sound, or feel cool, but ya gotta weigh the consequences.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (Luxury @ Sep 29 2010, 07:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359585
Seems like a bad idea to me. You're sucking hot air into the engine and your ECU is going to fry. The extra intake growl might sound a little better, but I doubt there is a positive affect on power. In fact, it might reduce power. You're bringing in more air, but it's hot air that is less dense. For the negligible gains you're getting in power and sound, I would not risk frying a very expensive ECU. I don't think replacing one is easy either - you probably have to go to the dealer to get a new one programmed and integrated into the car.

I'm all for mods that look, sound, or feel cool, but ya gotta weigh the consequences.
Well the fact that the air is less dense due to the heat and lack of humidity, you would want more air into the engine so that it can breathe better. You are sucking hot air into engine anyway, given the environment, more of that air is better than less. I agree that the ECU will probably fry if left alone. How big is the ECU? Maybe you could strap it to the outside of the air filter to get it into the air flow. Maybe a slight larger air filter would allow for improved air flow even with the ECU strapped outside. Possibly some sort of diverter to direct some of the air flow to the ECU might also work. I'm thinking out loud here so forgive me if I sound like a lunatic. :blink:

I should add, that I'm assuming that this mod is not just for more power or better sound. If that's the case then I agree with Luxury, not worth the risk to the vehicle. However, if it has been performed so that the vehicle can better handle the extreme environment, then you might think about the above suggestions.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That is similar to how mine looks like... its just hanging there. I'm not too concerned about the temp of the ecu, but the summers are hot in MN, and I haven't had a problem. Air can come through the engine bay in many ways. If you're really concerned, put the bottom half (where the ram air comes in) back and have the filter rest on top of that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
detailing the engine bay, you gotta be kidding me, I spend 3 hours washing my Sonata and it only takes the weather here 5 minutes to cover it with dust again, the engine bay was cleaned two days before the pics, and BTW I use this Sonata for local drag races here, and I scored first place on the 4 cylinder category, have another drag race on the 8th, will use the 2011 Sonata...

I am very glad that I have joined your forums, thanks for all the replies...

will keep you posted

Laith

Baghdad - The Sand Box

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went with Luxury's thinking on this one, everything now is back to normal, since I want to sell the car, and I don't want to fry the ECU.
Many Thanks for everyone,

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (Dirt Devil @ Sep 30 2010, 04:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359796
detailing the engine bay, you gotta be kidding me, I spend 3 hours washing my Sonata and it only takes the weather here 5 minutes to cover it with dust again, the engine bay was cleaned two days before the pics, and BTW I use this Sonata for local drag races here, and I scored first place on the 4 cylinder category, have another drag race on the 8th, will use the 2011 Sonata...

I am very glad that I have joined your forums, thanks for all the replies...

will keep you posted

Laith

Baghdad - The Sand Box

1 - 12 of 12 Posts