Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figured I'd share this with you guys. I know their are a lot of issues with these tranmission regarding shift quality.

Bought this car early August 2010 with 46800 on it and at 55000 I've had it in 2 times for a hard down shift when the car was not at running temp.

First time I took it in was at 50k and they reprogrammed the adaptive learning and it was fine for about 3 weeks. Took it in again yesterday and they said they were going to reprogram the trans AND engine computer per latest TSB. Yesterday they thought it was ready to go but as I was going to go pick it up this morning they called me and said they took it for another test drive and it was still down shifting hard so they would keep working on it.

Tech called me today and they consulted with their national tech support or what ever that gathers and compares info from all dealers on certian issues and Hyundai gave them the go ahead just put a new trans in the car.

I was kind of suprised they didn't try to milk it out till 60k when my warrenty was over LoL!!!

P.S. Don't get your hopes up about shift quality getting any better with the 2011 model. I'm driving a loaner right now that only had 94 miles on it when I drove it away and all I can say is that the tranmission is confused at best. It doesn't freak out and jump to 3k on every little incline like the 09, probably thanks to the 6th gear, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Nice cars but to bad they can't seem to figure out this trans thing.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
guess yours might be bad since they are replacing it... I had the update a while back and mine shifts fine in cold or normal temp.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
When the program is done, the tech is supposed to erase the adaptive learn memory, as all the previous bad habits are still in memory, program does nothing for what is in the learn memory..

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Seems rather extreme to me. Somehow I think someone missed something more basic. This sounds like something that General Motors would have done in the bad old days. I wonder why they didn't send a factory rep down and get to the bottom of this. I'm one of these guys who likes to know what the problem actually is even if they replace something. But this is good information to know in view of the fact I own one myself. Keep us apprised. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 10 2010, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370625
When the program is done, the tech is supposed to erase the adaptive learn memory, as all the previous bad habits are still in memory, program does nothing for what is in the learn memory..

Maybe I didn't word it right but I am assuming they did what needed to be done and it didn't work.

Seems rather extreme to me. Somehow I think someone missed something more basic. This sounds like something that General Motors would have done in the bad old days. I wonder why they didn't send a factory rep down and get to the bottom of this. I'm one of these guys who likes to know what the problem actually is even if they replace something.

The first time I took it in after putting 5k on it and it shifted fine for a couple weeks and now this time apparently the reprogram does help at all and like I said they consulted with their national tech support that gathers and compares info from all dealers on particular issues and a new transmission was the verdict.

Like I said I have seen in other forums were they have done this so its not a total suprise it's obviously an on going issue. The guy that I talked to today, if I remember correctly, said something along the lines of "this isn't a recall issue YET but we're going to go ahead and put in a new tranmission" emphesis on the YET.

The transmission won't be here for a week or so so I'm going to go pick my car up tomorrow and drive that until they get it. I will ask a lot of questions when I pick it up about what exactly is going on and pass it on here.

Quote from a tech in the other forum

"At first we were told to clear the adaptive learn values. It will fix the car for a week or so but it will come back. So the last two we have seen we have put new transmissions in them! Fixed them!!"

wont let me link to that forum sorry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so I picked my car up this morning to drive till they recieve the replacement trans.

I asked what the deal was because the wipe and reprogram worked for a little while last time but they said that this time required a wipe/reprogram and an update. The system will not accept the update and the only option is to change the transmission. Simple as that I guess....

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I have a good working relationship with the dealership that services my two Sonatas. Next time I am there I am going to ask them about this. It just seems preposterous that an entire transmission has to be reprogrammed because of it won't accept the instructions. Almost makes me wonder if this car didn't get the "fresh air and sunshine" treatment. Please do keep us updated on the progress of this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just had our '09 in today for the same problem. After picking it up, seems to have the same problem still. They said the trans was reprogrammed.
Larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (bthornton23 @ Nov 10 2010, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370596
Just figured I'd share this with you guys. I know their are a lot of issues with these tranmission regarding shift quality.

Bought this car early August 2010 with 46800 on it and at 55000 I've had it in 2 times for a hard down shift when the car was not at running temp.

First time I took it in was at 50k and they reprogrammed the adaptive learning and it was fine for about 3 weeks. Took it in again yesterday and they said they were going to reprogram the trans AND engine computer per latest TSB. Yesterday they thought it was ready to go but as I was going to go pick it up this morning they called me and said they took it for another test drive and it was still down shifting hard so they would keep working on it.

Tech called me today and they consulted with their national tech support or what ever that gathers and compares info from all dealers on certian issues and Hyundai gave them the go ahead just put a new trans in the car.

I was kind of suprised they didn't try to milk it out till 60k when my warrenty was over LoL!!!

P.S. Don't get your hopes up about shift quality getting any better with the 2011 model. I'm driving a loaner right now that only had 94 miles on it when I drove it away and all I can say is that the tranmission is confused at best. It doesn't freak out and jump to 3k on every little incline like the 09, probably thanks to the 6th gear, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Nice cars but to bad they can't seem to figure out this trans thing.
I am in a similar situation. I bought it with 38k miles and now am at 52k. I just dropped mine off tonight, so they could have it when it is cold. We'll see what they come back with.

They asked when the trans fluid was last replaced, which I don't know. The manual says it only needs to be replaced at 100k, but I see others doing changes at 30k. is there a consensus on this?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Most of the time the transmission fluid does not need to be replaced. If it says 100K I would feel very comfortable with that interval unless the car has been abused. Some people never change the transmission fluid and never have any problems.

This is indeed a weird problem. Frankly, I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that Hyundai didn't attempt to get to the bottom of the problem before actually replacing the transmission. What's to keep the second one from doing the same thing? It's the easy way out but it doesn't answer the underlying question. What was actually wrong with it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
missourimule did you ever talk to your hyundai guy?

gischpel I'm not sure about the fluid change. The first time I had it in they noted that the fluid was discolored but not burnt. Little concern about that from them.

As for the new tranny. I picked the my car up friday and have about 300mi on the new trans. The harsh cold downshift is cured. We'll see if it stays cured. 4500 left on warranty. All around this trans seems...more solid I guess. Tighter shifting and smoother downshift in all gears but shift times leave a bit to be desired. We'll see if it "learns" enough to help this. The main thing that bugs me is it shifts too early into 5th and bogs getting up to 60 mph unless I'm getting on the gas a bit more than I feel nessecary. Also that it freaks out on small hills kicking down and jumping 1200 rpm to 3000rpm when the cruise is on. Don't know if these things will change as it learns but their bearable I guess.

Ps they changed the tie rods to which seem odd that they would be bad after only 55K.

I think I'm going to have a 3rd party go over this thing before its out of warranty. Its a good car but I'm not totally comfortable with the quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Nov 23 2010, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374413
Most of the time the transmission fluid does not need to be replaced. If it says 100K I would feel very comfortable with that interval unless the car has been abused. Some people never change the transmission fluid and never have any problems.

This is indeed a weird problem. Frankly, I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that Hyundai didn't attempt to get to the bottom of the problem before actually replacing the transmission. What's to keep the second one from doing the same thing? It's the easy way out but it doesn't answer the underlying question. What was actually wrong with it?

there must be something with the computer aspect that is built into the trans deep enough to were it is easier to just change it out with the updated or updatable computer. Like I said before, they told me that my trans wouldn't take the update and it was as simple as that. Odd? Yes.

I suppose time will tell if this is a true fix or if it just clears it up till my warranty is up.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
No, not really, but I will tomorrow. I'll be going to the dealer and bring this subject up with them. They have been super to work with. I'll pick their brains.

QUOTE (bthornton23 @ Nov 23 2010, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374417
missourimule did you ever talk to your hyundai guy?

gischpel I'm not sure about the fluid change. The first time I had it in they noted that the fluid was discolored but not burnt. Little concern about that from them.

As for the new tranny. I picked the my car up friday and have about 300mi on the new trans. The harsh cold downshift is cured. We'll see if it stays cured. 4500 left on warranty. All around this trans seems...more solid I guess. Tighter shifting and smoother downshift in all gears but shift times leave a bit to be desired. We'll see if it "learns" enough to help this. The main thing that bugs me is it shifts too early into 5th and bogs getting up to 60 mph unless I'm getting on the gas a bit more than I feel nessecary. Also that it freaks out on small hills kicking down and jumping 1200 rpm to 3000rpm when the cruise is on. Don't know if these things will change as it learns but their bearable I guess.

Ps they changed the tie rods to which seem odd that they would be bad after only 55K.

I think I'm going to have a 3rd party go over this thing before its out of warranty. Its a good car but I'm not totally comfortable with the quality.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The service technician from the dealer called and said they will do the TSB software upgrade (he made sure to add that it will be covered under warranty) today. I opted to have them do an ATF fluid replacement at $129 plus tax. I don't know the maintenance history of the car and since it is driven by my daughter almost all of the time, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The TSB has been completed and the transmission seems to shift fine. I haven't driven it yet, but my daughter said the problem was fixed. I will test for myself tomorrow.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2009 V6 and have shifting issues as well. The 1-2 shift was very hard, almost a shudder, since the car was new. Finally got them to replace the transmission now at 22k miles. The new one shifts a little better, but the 1-2 shift is still harder than any other car I've ever driven.

I thought the tranny in the 2011 shifted a little better, but still felt like a Hyundai - very firm shifts. Nothing like a GM/Ford vehicle, which are extremely smooth.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Shutter sometimes is associated with torque converters. I once had a Ford which had this problem and was told by the service department that it would require a new torque converter. I got a second opinion and changed the transmission fluid. Problem went away. However, it doesn't explain the rough shifting. I'm not sure how one would describe the shutter as except a shutter. It is just not a normal shift that one should expect of a modern vehicle.

QUOTE (zirconx @ Nov 26 2010, 11:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375018
I have a 2009 V6 and have shifting issues as well. The 1-2 shift was very hard, almost a shudder, since the car was new. Finally got them to replace the transmission now at 22k miles. The new one shifts a little better, but the 1-2 shift is still harder than any other car I've ever driven.

I thought the tranny in the 2011 shifted a little better, but still felt like a Hyundai - very firm shifts. Nothing like a GM/Ford vehicle, which are extremely smooth.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had some hard shifting a few times after a flush around 50k, no problems after that. After changing to the Castrol Multi Import ATF around 98k shifting has improved, even when its cold it engages 1-2 nicely, before it felt like it was shuddering. Change your ATF, you can do it yourself its like changing your oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts