Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing a lot of posts here that describe the 3.1 liter oil change instructions but I haven't been able to find any on the 2.7. I'm not a pro but I've been changing oil in my cars for over 30 years so I'm no amateur either. I see everyone talking about the cartridge oil filters located on the top of the engine under a cover. I am almost certain I have a normal oil filter located under the engine on the passenger side right next to the oil pan. Is this really the oil filter for the 2.7 and will a normal FRAM filter be ok?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2.7 oil changes like most any other out there... the spin on oil filter is at the front corner of engine... there is large hole in the belly pan to access filter...

Use Hyundai filter only... I think your 2.7 will use the long skinny black oil filter

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 28 2010, 07:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352621
2.7 oil changes like most any other out there... the spin on oil filter is at the front corner of engine... there is large hole in the belly pan to access filter...

Use Hyundai filter only... I think your 2.7 will use the long skinny black oil filter

hi sbr, Why do they insisit use Hyundai Filter only.. I used penzoil and they look the same and am wondering why the dealerships insists on that all the time..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (chosen1 @ Aug 28 2010, 08:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352639
hi sbr, Why do they insisit use Hyundai Filter only.. I used penzoil and they look the same and am wondering why the dealerships insists on that all the time..

Anybody can make an oil filter and sell it on market... but Hyunda has had complaints in regard to engine noises that been traced back to oil filter construction.. Bulletin states change oil and install factory filter, not a warranty item (oil change)

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 28 2010, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352641
Anybody can make an oil filter and sell it on market... but Hyunda has had complaints in regard to engine noises that been traced back to oil filter construction.. Bulletin states change oil and install factory filter, not a warranty item (oil change)

Thnks Sbr.

Maybe next time onwards will buy the filter from the dealer and replace it elsewhere. At my dealership they said I will have issues with the warranty if something were to happen.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've got a 2008 with the 2.7L. Oil and filter changes are super easy, but regardless of the access hole for the filter, it's much easier and less messy to remove the plastic belly pan under the engine prior to changing oil. It's 6 bolts (I believe) and comes off very easily. It's a short, wide filter and can be tricky to remove if it had been installed by a Gorilla. There's not a lot to grab being tucked up in and close to the engine. I'm able to do it with a large pair of Channel Lock pliers if it won't come off easily. Genuine Hyundai filters are very high quality. The cans are VERY tough to crush and in general they are built very well. Genuine Hyundai filters are also said to eliminate startup knock that you may get with cheapy aftermarket filters. I've got a filter cutter and have cut used ones open. They're not easy to cut! I bought a six pack of them on eBay from a Hyundai dealer shipped to the door for ~$25, and they come with new crush washers for the drain plug (the original will last a long time too). Another area of importance for you will be transmission oil changes. A wrote up a thing on it here: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...67&hl=f4a51

Joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts