Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks again, I'll PM you if I have other questions, and will post back to this thread if I come across any useful info as I'm doing this repair.

Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey again. I tried to PM you on this but maybe you're not around, so I'll try these questions within this thread in case anyone else has input:

When you did this job, did you actually completely remove the transmission, or did you just lower it and wedge it into the driver's side wheel well while you replaced the clutch?

I'm having trouble picturing how loosening the subframe will give me enough play to actually get the transmission out of there? I am guessing I would move it towards drivers wheel well, then try to angle it down to actually get it out? If anyone recalls exactly how yours came out that would be really helpful. I have both axles removed and suspension disconnected, so only steps left are subframe bolts and engine/transmission mounts.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry never got a PM notification. You basically lower the subframe so that you can wedge the transmission into the wheel well. You don’t want to fully pull it out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok thanks, that makes sense. It doesn't seem like you can fully remove it unless you drop the subframe entirely, which I really would like to avoid! I'll update the thread with some details in the hopes it helps someone else who's dumb enough to do this themselves :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Figured I would post up my progress, in case it helps someone else who decides to tackle this job themselves. It's really not that bad as far as transmission/clutch jobs go. But make no mistake, it's no picnic either! You can do pretty well everything with basic hand tools and a couple of floor jacks and an engine hoist is very helpful.

Also, an impact gun (either electric or hydraulic is an absolute MUST, there are some bolts you have to deal with that require that extra ooooommpphhhh :smile: I used an electric Dewalt 1/2" impact gun, worked like a charm. And don't mind the rust, keep in mind this is a 9-year old Newfoundland vehicle, and salt has made it not very pretty underneath:

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah salt really is the devil. PB Blaster is my best friend, haha.

Did your Santa Fe have the same solid flywheel that mine has? I expected it to have that weird-looking dual mass flywheel, but it doesn't. I don't think I will be taking it off as it looks completely fine, just going to rough it up with some emery cloth and brake cleaner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mine was the same flywheel, I also expected it to be a dual mass and found it to be solid and was surprised. I didn't take mine off, I just made sure it was still in torque spec and cleaned with emery cloth and brake cleaner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice thread
Going to have a go at this(actually half way through) however, mine is a Manual Diesel and AWD! Bit different. Lots of mounts, lots of hidden bolts and a tricky transfer case to get around. Same issue. No pedal. Loud intermittent chatter. Lets hope its not the DMF as well :(
Cheers
Bruce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there!

Im also in to change clutch and dual mass flywheel on my Santa Fe 4wd diesel here in Sweden!

I just started and have some questions about drivers side wheel suspension.

Do you remove the complete wheel stand with arms, springs, strut, brakes, drive shaft, or how did you do it?

Sorry for the bad English. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I removed the driver side complete wheel stand with drive shaft.
Have some questions:
1. Is it needed to remove anything with the exhaust system or any rubber hoses, cooling etc?
2. The 4wd transmission case/ passenger side drive shaft. Is it enough to loosen case and pull it out of the gear box and let it be connected with the passenger side drive shaft and rear drive shaft?
Thanks for now!

·
Registered
347 Posts
It looks like I have to do this clutch job on my 2007 CM 4x4 crdi 2.2l diesel.
1. does powersteering fluid have to be drained?
2. do I actually have to remove anything or can all the big bits be pushed aside to allow clutch etc.replacement?
3. with 4x4, do I have to do anything majorly different to the instructions for fwd?
4. has anyone built a homeade engine lift like the one in the pics?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Scooby, not sure how much help I can lend on your questions since I did this job on a front-wheel-drive Santa Fe which was likely a bit easier. The model you have was never sold in Canada (as far as I know), so I've never even seen one to identify differences in the repair.

I never had to touch the power steering lines, so no draining (until my steering rack died and spit fluid everywhere a couple months back, but that's a different story...).

I'd guess you will have to remove the transfer case assembly since you have a 4wd model, which would involve dropping the driveshaft out of the transfer case yoke at the same time. Otherwise you would just be lowering the subframe a few inches to give you enough clearance to push the transmission back away from the engine to get at the slave cylinder, clutch disc and pressure plate. Side CV axles need to be removed.

And I have heard of people making their own engine lift (similar to the one I showed in that picture), but I was lucky enough to have a friend loan me that for a few days. It's a Must if you are doing this on your own, pretty dangerous otherwise.

Let me know if there's any specific questions I could help with once you get into it.

Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
I removed the driver side complete wheel stand with drive shaft.
Have some questions:
1. Is it needed to remove anything with the exhaust system or any rubber hoses, cooling etc?
2. The 4wd transmission case/ passenger side drive shaft. Is it enough to loosen case and pull it out of the gear box and let it be connected with the passenger side drive shaft and rear drive shaft?
Thanks for now!
hi, did you do the job?
if so, could you give me the answers to your questions?
thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Scooby, not sure how much help I can lend on your questions since I did this job on a front-wheel-drive Santa Fe which was likely a bit easier. The model you have was never sold in Canada (as far as I know), so I've never even seen one to identify differences in the repair.

I never had to touch the power steering lines, so no draining (until my steering rack died and spit fluid everywhere a couple months back, but that's a different story...).

I'd guess you will have to remove the transfer case assembly since you have a 4wd model, which would involve dropping the driveshaft out of the transfer case yoke at the same time. Otherwise you would just be lowering the subframe a few inches to give you enough clearance to push the transmission back away from the engine to get at the slave cylinder, clutch disc and pressure plate. Side CV axles need to be removed.

And I have heard of people making their own engine lift (similar to the one I showed in that picture), but I was lucky enough to have a friend loan me that for a few days. It's a Must if you are doing this on your own, pretty dangerous otherwise.

Let me know if there's any specific questions I could help with once you get into it.

Mike
hi Mike, I bought the engine lifter thing -thought it was prob worth it for safety.
Did you need to use a tranny jack when you pushed it away from the engine? or did it just slide out on the subframe or something?
cheers
Scooby

·
Registered
90 Posts
Engine support is definitely a good idea. As for a transmission jack, have a look at this pic. I used two floor jacks underneath, one to support the engine side, and the other I removed the jsack's saddle and bolted on a larger piece of wood to act as a transmission jack. I was able to slide that jack towards the driver's side wheel well and wedge the transmission on top of the subframe (inside the wheel well) in order to access the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not too sure what you mean by only 150mm wide? As in 15 cm? The one I used is shown in this pic below. It wasn't perfect but I was able to use ratchet straps attached to the engine support to get the job done:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts