Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is the alternator removed from the bottom or the top on a 2.7? Anybody have a step-by-step guide?
I've seen plenty on here about R&R an alternator on a 3.3L but nothing on the 2.7L Santa Fe...

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I didn't need to remove the alternator after all!

For what its worth, the symptoms on this (2009 Santa Fe 2.7L GLS) were a blinking battery and seat belt light when the belt got wet. No squealing from the belt, but I was able to see the DC across the battery terminals drop from ~14.7V to ~12.3V when I dumped water on the belt -- this coincided with the blinkenlights on the dash.

Replaced the belt (25212-3E001) and the tensioner (25281-3E011, Gates equivalent 39150) and this solved the problem. I would've replaced the idler, too, but it wasn't in stock anywhere.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi ajmicek, I take it that when you said "seat" belt, you meant "serpentine" belt? Not trying to be a smart alec, but your post gave me images of someone pouring water onto a seat belt inside the vehicle trying to solve an electrical problem. Once I figured out what you meant, I noted it down as good information to be retrieved if I ever have similar symptoms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi ajmicek, I take it that when you said "seat" belt, you meant "serpentine" belt?
Ha! I see how what I wrote was confusing. The LIGHT was the seat belt light, and it tends to blink whenever the system voltage gets low (e.g. when the alternator isn't outputting what it should). But any time I refer to "belt" in my post I do indeed mean the serpentine belt. I think Hyundai likes to call it the "drive belt" for what it's worth. Happy motoring!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts