Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issue with my 09 SF 3.3L FWD using oil, 1L in less than 500km. No leaks, no smoke or obvious signs of burning. Shop can't figure out what's wrong. Shop did an oil change, surprised to find it took 6L of oil to reach full mark on dipstick - manual specifies on 5.2L Any ideas what could be going on? Could the dipstick be incorrect, or an aberrant oil pan? Some crazy unique engine? Only owned the vehicle for one year, 116,000km on it right now. Mostly in town driving, longer (over 100km) highway trips once a month of so.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Manual aint real life situation.... add oil, start up to fill all,, shut off, and measure again... adjust to "F" mark and call it a day..

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That sounds right. When I change my oil and filter I pour a 6-quart jug of Mobil 1 in and it's where it should be on the dip stick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange. Every car I've ever owned was within 100mL of the stated capacity. It seems odd that it would be off by almost a liter.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I filled 6 Qt oil for my 3.3l engine and it's still at middle level after highway driving. I think the real capacity should be between 6qt to 7qt depends on how you drained the oil

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Mine is always just over 5L with the oil filter.

It matches my owners manual.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
473 Posts
As previously many times stated:

Engine oil
Oil quantity (Total) 6.4L (6.76U.S.qus,5.63lmp.qts)
Oil quantity (Oil pan) 5.5L (5.81 U.S.qus,4.84lmp.qts)
Oil quantity (Oil filter) 0.4L (0.42U.S.qus,0.35lmp.qts)
Oil quantity (Drain and refill) 5.2L (5.49U.S.qus,4.58lmp.qts)

It looks like 1.2 L are always in....

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I never heard of that in any vehicle happening in at least 4 decades of vehicles I change oil in. Maybe an ounce or so due to angle etc. I read my manuals and never seen it mentioned ever. But for me as most a 5L jug will bring you well into the normal zone with a filter. A top up Litre is not really necessary if not available. As long as you're well above the add mark in the hash zone if there is one or two dots.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I need to pay attention better. We're discussing the 3.3 engine, but the capacity of my 3.5 matches what I get from a 5-quart jug plus half an additional quart. That is what my owner's manual says - about 5.5 quarts. I'll put that much in it and keep the remaining half-quart under the hood in case I need to top it off. I always change my filter, too. I can count on one hand the times I've changed oil without changing the filter in all my cars since the 60's.

Like lprocter said, it doesn't match my experience that the measured and specified capacities aren't very close if not right on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts