Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Team

I am really hoping someone can offer some advise on the issues I am having with my 2009 Santa Fe! The car has been in some form of limp mode for some time, not wanting to go over 3k rpm in the higher gears and showing errors P2113 (TPS sensor 'b' minimum stop performance) and P2015 (Intake manifold runner position sensor/switch circuit range). After speaking to one a Hyundai mechanics he suggested the butterflys in intake manifold may be clogged up as its done around 250,000km, but after taking it all apart its really not too bad and they are moving freely. The next possible issue is the Variable swirl actuator not actually turning them but unsure how to verify if this actually works..? Checked online and they are one of the more expensive bits so no sure I want to buy one unless I know it is actually the culprit! If I were to get my hands on a similar santa fe and just attach the wires to my unit which leaving everything else as is, would I expect to see it move?

As for the TPS issue, I am guessing this is the large butterfly unit with cable input that sits between intake manifold and inter-cooler..? Before taking the rest of engine apart I turned the engine on and gave it some gas with the inter-cooler side disconnected. The butterfly moved on startup and again when revving so I guess this is receiving the signal but is there still a chance it is not giving the ECU any feedback about position, therefore it is still faulty?

Unsure if this is related but there is some oil in the inter cooler and associated pipes, assuming this is coming from the old turbo seals, and it does leak a bit of oil overnight.

Haven't pulled apart my daily driver in a long time and I now remember why! Please HELP!

Cheers,
Lockie

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,751 Posts
The next possible issue is the Variable swirl actuator not actually turning them but unsure how to verify if this actually works..?
The swirl flaps in the manifold should be driven fully opened and closed every time you switch the engine off. So clear the code, run the engine then switch the ignition off. Watch the actuator after the ignition has been switched off and you should see it the output shaft rotate back and forth a couple of times.

I've never had to test a Hyundai one off the car, but the swirl flap actuator is usually just a 12V electric motor. Perhaps you could bench test it by just applying 12V to the actuator control terminals to see if it moves. If it doesn't move reverse the polarity and try again. I suspect on the car the motor will be controlled by a duty cycle signal meaning the power applied to the motor isn't constantly switched on. So don't connect power to the motor for too long while testing. Just a quick on and off should be enough to check that the motor moves.

Looking at a photo of the actuator online it looks like it is held in the open position by a spring. Are you able to turn the shaft against the spring? Does it move freely and return to the open position when released?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts