Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
My alternator had also went out while I was on the freeway and had to get it towed home. It's unfortunate but the source of the problem is the valve cover and timing cover gasket that has been leaking over time onto the alternator due to its location on the engine. I had taken out the alternator and cleaned it out with brake cleaner and degreaser and took it to an auto shop to get it tested and it was still OK to use. So I didn't have to buy a replacement! I had the recall done a while back and they had replaced the alternator then but now that the car is about 12 years old I'm pretty sure the dealer has nothing to do with it now. Now I'm watching YouTube videos on how mechanics perform timing cover gasket replacements and it involves removing the whole engine from the frame....no thanks! So at this point I had applied some gasket maker RTV from the auto store right along where the oil leak was visible. So basically a temporary fix for now. Would love to keep this car but it starting not to seem so reliable anymore. It was a great family car ever since the kids were born...bummer!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts