Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just got a letter from Hyundai about his and as asked to take it to the dealer got a trpaor
Removing the valve cover and replacing the rubber gasket with a new one is what you need to do,, but adding a bead of sealant product (such as a silicone) is the only way I know of to really stop the oil leak. If the surfaces are not completely degreased (around where the gasket is located) then the silicone will not adhere as well. Use mineral spirits or similar product to get surfaces Very Clean, especially around the lower "corners" (close to alternator) which are prone to leakage.. On the silicone (Tube) are written instructions which must be followed exactly for best results..(For example, some of them say to apply a bead of silicone to both surfaces - then let the product "skin" prior to installing the valve cover)
One person on here mentioned the idea of rigging up some kind of shield around the alternator to shield it from the oil leakage, but that idea will not work. For one thing, the alternator needs the air circulation to keep it cool..
Seems like a great many people do not take the time to read (and understand) all that fine print writing on the silicone sealers which are used so much now days. If you just put some gasket sealer on and assemble the parts, it will not work as well.. I have also used 3M super weather stripping adhesive to seal gaskets for many years before the silicones existed.. I got excellent results, as long as all surfaces to be joined together were "CLEAN" totally free of grease or oil..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your alternator generates heat during it's normal operation, and that is why alternators have the holes designed into them (for cooling) the air turbulence from the engine cooling fan is needed to cool the alternator - so therefore, if you rig some kind of shield around the alternator, very little air flow will reach your alternator. before long, you have an alternator (running too hot) failure, plus your oil leak you started out with is still there. Fixing the original issue (oil leak) is what I would do on my car. . I know it might be tempting to take (what appears to be) the "easy way out" , but.. Good luck to Ya

1 - 2 of 2 Posts